We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August Weather

Which Antalya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol
Level Contributor
292 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
August Weather

Hi all, just spoke to a gentlemen here in Bristol who is from Istanbul. I told him we were off to Belek, Antalya in August and what he said about the weather worried me a bit.

I know a lot has been said about the weather but he said it's unbearable in July-August and in to September. In normal circumstances I'm not bothered but we have a 4 and 6 year old with us and it's them that worries me.

He said from around midday til 4pm-ish people stay inside due to the heat. When we booked, I'll be honest I didn't consider how hot it could potentially be.

Is he right in what he says or is he over exagqerating.

Thanks, Mitch

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,089 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: August Weather

Hi Mitch,

He is not exaggerating about how hot it gets but this gentleman may have had to work in the heat and go about his daily business! You need do nothing other than eat and drink and enjoy the lovely weather ! Usually there is a nice breeze !

We have taken our son in August from being 5 years old and he was always fine! he is almost 17 now and it never put us off going at that time of year! You have to be sensible of course and make sure the children drink plenty of fluids, are regularly creamed up because of always being in and out of the pools! Take the highest factor cream you can get for them and take plenty because it is expensive to buy out there.It surprises me how some people let their children burn when there is no need if sensible precautions are taken.Take your floats or arm bands for the water if needed.

I have never seen people go in droves from the pool areas at midday, the hotels are lively all day! Loads of people with even younger children go!

There is always plenty of shade round the pools and over the childrens play areas . Your room will have air conditioning and you may like to let them have an afternoon nap !

Relax you will be fine!

Essex
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: August Weather

Hi Mitch

We went to Turkey (Belek) for the first time 2 years ago. At that time our kids were 4, 8 & 10. Like you I was a bit apprehensive before we went, mainly due to other people's reactions at the thought of Turkey in August!

As expected, it was piping hot, though I have to say there was little noticeable difference between there and say, Spain, at the same time of year. When you are by a pool it really doesn't matter! We couldn't actually lie out in the sun between about 11 & 4, so as long as you have some shade you'll be fine. We also noticed that although there was a lovely breeze on the beach, it somehow seemed hotter than by the pools, something to do with the sand amplifying/reflecting the heat I think!

I have to say, it's the only place I've ever been where I didn't need to take a cardy out in the evening - and our air con was so good in our villa that we needed proper thick duvets on at night!! :-)

We are back there this July/August with the kids, so it obviously wasn't too unbearable!

HTH

Sam

Bristol
Level Contributor
292 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: August Weather

Thank you both for taking the time to reply, it's put our minds at rest. We are still worried but as my wifes says, we won't know until we go.

We take Niva kids F50 so we may have to buy a high factor for us.

Cheers,

Mitch

Andover, United...
Level Contributor
233 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: August Weather

We have been twice in August. On each occasion we have had a child with us, we also took our older daughter the first time who has red hair and the skin to match. Without a word of a lie she can burn in this country on a sunny day in March. She did NOT burn. She is very vigilant about sun screen, she uses Wilko factor 50. She will sit in the shade in the middle of the day. We spent our time outside. With the youngsters, plenty of sun screen, swimming pool, and lots of water. It is hot and in my opinion a 'hang up your car keys' type holiday in the height of summr. However it is not impossible to cope with the heat. Have a wonderful time, the Turkish are wonderful people.

gainsborough
Level Contributor
181 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: August Weather

The previous posts all give very sound advice-use common sense with your little ones and you and they will be fine.We have visited last two years with our 8 year old daughter who is very fair skinned she has had absolutely no problems.We have also found that the all in one type surf suit can be a great aid in the protection of our little one-my wife purchased 2/3 from the likes of Next etc,they retail at approx £15 each-a small price to pay for peace of mind.Enjoy your holiday in this great country.

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: August Weather

I hadn't heard of Wilko suncream before and when I googled it, I found this post about Asda's own brand.

dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1185077/3-Asd…

I've never been to Turkey before - first visit at Easter, but I, too have been concerned about the summer heat, so this looks a good one to purchase.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,089 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: August Weather

Very interesting article Bugalug , luckily my usual brand Boots almost makes the grade!!

A word of caution though, I would use an higher factor that 15 in July/ August for anyone who burns easily! Factor 15 has only been chosen for this research Not worth burning on your first day and spoiling your holidays!

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
4,113 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: August Weather

Oh definitely. I am planning to get the highest possible factor for summer - 15 and 20 should be fine at Easter, but I will be buying a lot higher for summer! Temps looking good even now.

Herts
Level Contributor
480 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: August Weather

No one ( until now ) has mentioned the most important piece of kit .

A hat , buy them here , do not expect to buy them their , not the same

choice as Spain/Cyprus.

Take the kids with you , they must want to wear the hat , not just because Mum has said they must.

I find that my daughters would burn easier in this country than abroad .

Its easy playing in the garden , sun catches you unaware. But in Turkey in July/August , the ground can be so hot , its the quick step from one patch of shade to another .... sun is so bright , hats are worn for comfort.

10. Re: August Weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2010, 05:18