We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

currency help please

Ecosse
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Topic
currency help please

Morning everyone, just looking for a little assistance.

I have found 322 of the 2005 Turkish lira. Am I right in saying this currency was replaced in 2009?

I am staying at the lara beach hotel & was wondering where I have to go to exchange my old currency. I will have my 14 month son with me so looking for the easiest option.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: currency help please

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g298664-i3920-k2…

Have a look here.

Ecosse
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: currency help please

Thanks for that am really confused now.

My currency does not have all those extra 000's you used to get. Just says 50 & 20. But i still think the currency has been changed since I got it. What is the best way for me to check?

Cheers

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: currency help please

If your lira has YTL on it, this is old currency which could only be used until last year in shops etc. you have to go to the banks mentioned in link I posted to change them.

The new lira just has TL on it, which is the valid currency now.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,856 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: currency help please

Have a read here

turkeytravelplanner.com/details/…2009_TL.html

On January 1, 2009, the Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey introduced a new series of Turkish Lira banknotes which differ from, and replaced, the 2005 series called New Turkish Liras (Yeni Türk Lirası).

There was no change in the value of the Turkish lira. All values and conversions remained the same. (Here are current Turkish lira exchange rates.)

turkeytravelplanner.com/details/Money/ytl_no…

As of December 31, 2009, the 2005 New Turkish Lira (YTL) notes are longer accepted for payment, but may be exchanged for the newer 2009-series Turkish Lira notes at any branch of the Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey (TC Merkez Bankası), or TC Ziraat Bankası.

The current Turkish Lira is equivalent to one million (old, pre-2005) Turkish Liras (TL). In other words, six zeros were dropped from the old TL in 2005 to make the YTL, which is now—again—called simply "TL."

Old pre-2005 Turkish Liras

The YTL replaced the old pre-2005 Türk Lirası (TL, TRL). Old Turkish liras were withdrawn from circulation during 2005.

Note that you should not accept pre-2005 Turkish Lira notes —the ones with lots of zeros—any more. They are no longer legal for payment.

Old TL notes may now be exchanged for 2009 TLs only at Turkish Central Bank (TC Merkez Bankası) offices or, in the absence of a Central Bank office, at a TC Ziraat Bankası office, until December 31, 2016.

After December 31, 2016, old TL notes and coins will no longer be legal tender (ie, official currency). In other words, they will be worthless except for their curiosity or collectors' value.

turkeytravelplanner.com/details/Money/yeni_l…

Ecosse
Level Contributor
110 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: currency help please

Many thanks.

It appears my currency is post 2005 (as it does not have all the zeros)(it is also ytl) but pre the most recent change so I will have to exchange it.

Anybody have any idea as to the closest bank I could go to from lara beach.

Again many thanks.

Edited: 24 April 2010, 11:48
Lincolnshire
Level Contributor
298 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: currency help please

I was in the same situation as you earlier on this year. I was told you could change it in Antayla town, I couldn't find the bank + time was running out. I asked my Rep and she changed it for me. She had done it for several other people.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
2,436 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: currency help please

Sorry i cannot help but i found someone very useful on holiday truths his user is RIk he is english and lives 5 min away from Lara beach he is so helpful i dont know if he comes on here but maybe worth pming him on holiday truths.

8. Re: currency help please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2010, 05:15