We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tipping

Oxon
Level Contributor
222 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Tipping

Going to Barut Lara in June, wondered what policy is regarding tipping?

scotland
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tipping

There are tip boxes in various places round the hotel. We put money in them plus we gave money direct to our cleaners.

There is also a box at reception where they collect money to help local animal welfare..I gave to that too as they do good work.

Edited: 02 May 2010, 21:31
Oxon
Level Contributor
222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tipping

That is unusual, I would have thought you would have given to bar-man, waiter, clearner individually.....so is this discouraged?

I do like to tip good service, but some places only favour those who tip, which I think is wrong.

Herts
Level Contributor
488 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tipping

Interesting topic. As I went Ai for the very first time last year , barmaid bought me the tray of drinks as soon as we had found the bar late on our first night .

Seemed strange not to put my hand in my pocket to pay .

I know it sounds strange but I felt uncomfortable . this was my first encounter at an all inclusive hotel.

So , I got up , went back to the reception , found the guy who was so helpful booking us in ( 20 mins earlier) knew his English was great , and explained my dilemma. His reply .... 'you don't need any cash in this hotel .

But if wish to leave a few small coins , no one will stop you'.

answered with a smile.

In the end , the cleaners did very well , the towel /sunbed boy was looked after

and our favourite waiter got a great deal on changing his English coins to Turkish Lira.

A lot has been said that Turkish wages are not high , and I will admit I had taken Turkish lira that I was finding hard to spend .

But I will argue we got great service more for our willingness to help the staff in their English than just dropping a few notes in a box.

scotland
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tipping

I did tip the room service people and the waitress who served drinks etc. I also tipped a few people who gave us very good service. But I put money in all the boxes..the chefs/kitchen staff get a share of this too..I asked at guest relations :-)

Oxon
Level Contributor
222 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tipping

I suppose that is fairer in some ways, at least those 'behind the scenes' get something.

6. Re: Tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Antalya
Recent Conversations