We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!! What are these fruits?

Which Antalya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Help!! What are these fruits?

I was in Alanya in October & saw these fruits in the market.

http://tinyurl.com/337wwfp

Can anyone shed any light on what they are & what they are used for?

Herts
Level Contributor
480 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!! What are these fruits?

Are they Kiwano ( horned melon) ??

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,668 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!! What are these fruits?

They are ornamental gourds.

U.K.
Destination Expert
for Avebury, Egypt
Level Contributor
5,668 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!! What are these fruits?

I should have added: if you are not fussy about colours and shapes, you can buy a packet of assorted seeds at any garden centre - possibly even in Wilkinsons - and see what sprouts. I understand they are easy to grow. But they are purely ornamental, not edible.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,281 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!! What are these fruits?

It is the Bitter Melon (Momordica charantia), a relative of the cucumber and are edible (if you like that sort of thing):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitter_melon

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,476 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!! What are these fruits?

Adana, looking at the size of the seeds in your Bitter Melon, they appear to be that rather than the ornamental gourds which seem to have seeds more like a passion fruit. I must admit I have seen them before somewhere - but can't remember where or what they were! (Sorry - not much good that!)

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,552 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!! What are these fruits?

The locals chop them up and place them in a bottle topped with olive oil. They use the oil as a salve for wounds and rub the oil into the forehead for migraines. I used a teaspoon or two of the stuff in salad dressings for tartness, but too much is definitely bitter.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,458 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help!! What are these fruits?

Many thanks for your replies.

scbc's reply is on the right track as the seller in the market, who couldn't speak much English said that they were kept in oil & used for medicinal purposes.

8. Re: Help!! What are these fruits?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2011, 06:41