We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A few ramblings for all you Lara addicts - just got back!

Which Antalya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
england
Level Contributor
234 posts
Save Topic
A few ramblings for all you Lara addicts - just got back!

Weather was sunny most days, cloudy occasionally and one day of rain. Temperature was around 14-17, but a biting North wind made it too cold to sit outside even with a coat unless you could find shelter.

Lots of sports teams and conference delegates around at this time of year and repatriates from Egypt also being put up overnight in some hotels - 170 rooms taken apparently in our hotel, with another 75 due the next day.

The new building site next to the Delphin Diva is going at full pace, the Diva is closed and the beach access sandbagged up, they are currently also constucting the pier. The site is very close indeed to the Diva, but plenty of spare land on the Delphin Palace side - enough room in fact for yet another hotel to appear in the future!

If you were saving up for the 7 star Mardan Palace, dont bother - I think its gone bust!

The new Royal Holiday Palace is squeezed in between the Hotel Lara beach and the Melas Lara and dwarfs them both - looks from the road as if it is almost touching the Melas! Plenty of work still to do out the front, all the building paraphenalia and rubbish not yet cleared ready for finishing and landscaping.

For Barut Lara fans. Lots of the usual winter tidying up and repairing going on around the grounds but nothing major. The books in the low bookcases in the Lounge have now been moved to a smart new 4 tier bookcase against the wall by the entrance to the bar - much better than lying on the floor trying to see whats there! By the way, the 'parrot' sometimes referred to in the corner of the Lounge is in fact only a small parakeet, with a couple of other small birds in the cage, so shouldnt give anyone a scare. If any of the regulars know the nice man on the guest relations desk, he has just become a father for the first time, and is so proud!

Well, I did head it 'a few ramblings'!

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A few ramblings for all you Lara addicts - just got back!

Where did you stay? we stopped at the Baia got back tuesday. New hotel is the Imperial part of the Delphin group.

I had no idea about the Marsden i was told its £25 for 2 cups of tea.

the waves where mad with the winds the royal palace looked really good only bad thing i could see was how close it was to the Melas.

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A few ramblings for all you Lara addicts - just got back!

Thanks guys for the excellent info. As most of you know, I'm off to the Voyage Belek in 2 weeks. Hopefully the weather will keep improving and that wind will die down, but it'll be better than the cold damp weather here - although today the sun is shining :) Interesting to hear about the Mardan Palace, although from Trevor McDonald's report recently it did look very empty!

Mr Trotter - keep rambling - I love to read all the info :)

Dingle - the sea was choppy when we had bad weather last October. Got some fantastic pics of the kids jumping the waves, but I think the sea knocked the ladder off the pier!

gravesend
Level Contributor
635 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A few ramblings for all you Lara addicts - just got back!

Hi,

I saw the Marden Palace on the Trevor Mcdonald show, it looks lovely, but asa you said, deserted!! sounds like the 'Imperial ' may openeing this season, have to have a look at Easter when were at the Barut!

Emma

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A few ramblings for all you Lara addicts - just got back!

Yes a nice wander up the beach or along the rocky pavements sounds in order to see what they're up to :)

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
2,393 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A few ramblings for all you Lara addicts - just got back!

'Imperial ' is opening 2012 im sure she said april i say the pic of it, it looks very nice i think they are trying to out do the royal palace.

What program was the marden on?? i never saw it was it on when i say on holiday?

notts
Level Contributor
299 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A few ramblings for all you Lara addicts - just got back!

Thanks for the update Mr Trotter,( D o they call you Delboy), I enjoyed reading all that!!! Shame about the Marden ,it looked amazing when we passed by on the bus!!!

Warwick, England
Level Contributor
85 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A few ramblings for all you Lara addicts - just got back!

we've booked for the Diva in August...first time to Turkey.......do you think the building work will inpact on our holiday enjoyment ??? thomas cook..."the buggers" never mentioned this when they took my hard earned

any thoughts

GM

gravesend
Level Contributor
635 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A few ramblings for all you Lara addicts - just got back!

Gm,

Don't worry, they are not allowed to do any major construction during the main holiday season, May till September, we went to Hotel Lara beach last year, the Royal Holiday Palace was being built right next door, we only saw a few workmen, thay all appeared to be painting, so we had no problems.

The Trevor Macdonald programme was a documentry, on a few weeks ago, also showed Izmir etc, it wasn't a'holiday' show as such, but he stayed at the Marden .

Emma

Warwick, England
Level Contributor
85 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A few ramblings for all you Lara addicts - just got back!

Thanks Emma thats very reassurring, thougth I might of dropped the ball on this one...phew..

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A few ramblings for all you Lara addicts - just got back!

For those interested:

www.itv.com/itvplayer/video/?Filter=207939