We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Authentic food in Antalya

Tuvalu
Level Contributor
68 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Authentic food in Antalya

Hi folks:

I am keen to try out authentic food places - i.e. that the locals go to in Antalya.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Restaurants/stalls etc?

Many thanks for any information.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,908 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Authentic food in Antalya

Hi Mr Drabu, Have a look at this recent thread for some ideas:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g297962-i772-k53…

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Authentic food in Antalya

I am adding this here..even though it is not all vegetarians

one of my favorite dishes for meat is ..Beyti kebab ...it is a Turkish dish consisting of ground beef or lamb, grilled on a skewer and served wrapped in lavash and topped with tomato sauce and yogurt.

Another common name for Beyti kebab is Lokma.

here is a good link for turkish foods.

turkishcookbook.com/2007/05/beyti-sarma.php

another favorite is Manti (Turkish tortellini , і) are a type of dumpling in Turkish

Manti dumplings archetypically consist of a spiced meat mixture, usually lamb or ground beef, in a dough wrapper, either boiled or steamed. 'Manti' indicates either singular or plural.

In Turkish cuisine, manti are typically served topped with yogurt and garlic and spiced with red pepper powder and melted butter, and topped with ground sumac and/or dried mint by the consumer. Although there are many different variations of manti -in terms of shape and way of serving- the most praised type of manti is known as Kayseri Mantisi -a special kind of manti belong to Kayseri -an Anatolian city of Turkey. The characteristics of Kayseri Mantisi is that it is very tiny and it is served with yogurt, oil (caramelized with tomato paste) and seasonings. Manti may be made from shredded meat of quail or chicken in some regions of Turkey, while 'boş mantı' ('empty dumpling') lack filling entirely. Turkish manti resembles tortellini

I could go on and on..

if you like spicy..ask for "Acılı " meaning spicy :=) try Çiğ köfte

Chee kufta, Turkish çiğ köfte literally "raw meat patty") is a raw meat dish in Armenian and Turkish cuisines, very similar to kibbeh nayyeh and to a lesser extent to steak tartare. It is traditionally made with either beef or lamb, and usually served as an appetizer.

Çiğ köfte means 'raw meatball'. It can also be written as one word, çiğköfte. It is a favorite Turkish snack and a specialty of southeastern Turkey, especially Şanlıurfa.

Bulgur is kneaded with chopped onions and water until it gets soft. Then tomato and pepper paste, spices and very finely ground beef are added. This absolutely fatless raw mincemeat is treated with spices while kneading the mixture, which is said to "cook" the meat. Lastly, green onions, fresh mint and parsley are mixed in.

One spice that is associated with çiğ köfte, and with Şanlıurfa as a whole, is isot, a very dark, almost blackish paprika, prepared in a special manner, and which is considered as indispensable for an authentically local preparation of çiğ köfte (and also of lahmacun). Although, isot is famous as the special dried pepper that is locally produced by farmers of Şanlıurfa, in fact, it is a general word used for pepper in Şanlıurfa.

A favorite way of eating çiğ köfte is rolled in a lettuce leaf, accompanied with good quantities of ayran to counter-act the burning sensation that this very spicy food will give.

There are also two no-meat versions for vegetarians. In Siverek district of Şanlıurfa, scrambled eggs are used instead of meat. And kısır, a specialty of Gaziantep region[citation needed], although it resembles çiğ köfte in its conception, with more numerous and exclusively non-animal ingredients, is a dish that stands on its own.

Kısır is a traditional side dish made from fine bulgur, parsley, and tomato paste. The main ingredient, bulgur, is a cereal food generally made from parboiled durum wheat. For kısır, a finely ground bulgur, unlike the coarse bulgur used for pilav, or sometimes couscous is used. Common additional ingredients include parsley, tomato paste, onion, garlic (in some regions), sour pomegranate juice (in southern regions of Turkey) or lemon, lettuce leaves, cucumber, and a lot of spices. It has a reddish color due to tomato paste admixture. It can be eaten cold and used as a salad or meze.

I told you I could go on and on about food...:=)))

Edited: 24 April 2012, 11:04
Istanbul
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Authentic food in Antalya

As Canmom mentioned Sanliurfa: Watch the video on www.potentpepper.com

You can find great Turkish recipes there, too!

4. Re: Authentic food in Antalya

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 10:16