We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Web prices cheaper than in store! Found to our cost last yr.

Which Antalya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
371 posts
142 reviews
Save Topic
Web prices cheaper than in store! Found to our cost last yr.

Last year we got a letter from our local First Choice holiday shop announcing when 2012 holidays were out. They had 'exclusive offers', 'great deals' and loads of free child prices.

We booked an appointment for the day the holidays came out and went along. I'd been researching holidays for weeks so knew roughly what we wanted.

They were offering free drinks, snacks and sweets for the kids whilst parents booked their holidays.

The young girl we spoke to was showing us holidays I knew would be far to expensive, infact I knew more about the hotels in Side, Turkey than she did. She was coming up with prices of £10k for a family of 6! I could have done her job for her to be honest.

We eventually found a holiday we were happy with, reasonable flights, 2 free child places so we booked it. It was a hotel I hadn't considered as too expensive but the free child places made it affordable.

When we got home I went straight on the website to do a comparison. Exact hotel/flights, everything. Online it was £300 cheaper! I was so angry.

We'd sat for nearly 2 hours looking at holidays when I could have done it from the comfort of my own sofa AND got it cheaper!

I went back the next day and complained and got a load of twaddle from the manager about overheads, staff expertise and knowldege (pft!!!). He eventually agreed to knock £200 off the holiday, my other half said I should have pushed for more! Wish I'd cancelled the whole thing and started from scratch!

So when booking next week, please be careful. £300 is a lot of money, if it had been £20 then fair enough.

I shall never book instore again, they have lost my custom. Online all the way for us from now on!

Louby

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,016 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Web prices cheaper than in store! Found to our cost last yr.

You can usually get the stores to price match a price you find yourself on line.

Once you have booked then there is not much you can do.

I personally prefer to book on-line because if you should need to amend the booking you will not get such a good price on the new hotel in store yet if booked on line you can usually get the current internet price.

We wanted to change a booking and it was cheaper to cancel and re-book !

lancs
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Web prices cheaper than in store! Found to our cost last yr.

Last year we saved 500 pounds on a holiday to the Maldives by booking online. Also I have found stores will peice match the price on the internet.

Llandudno North...
Level Contributor
2,584 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Web prices cheaper than in store! Found to our cost last yr.

Is the whole point of online bookings not that your taking away labour costs and having to have shops and staff in the shops so online should be cheaper.

I would never book instore before checking online for better deals.

I don't think I know anyone who has had a better deal instore than online unless the have gone in with an online price first and they have beaten by a few pounds to make the sale.

It's not just holidays its the same for anything generally, look round the shops to see, feel, try a product then go home to find it cheaper online.

:-)

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
371 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Web prices cheaper than in store! Found to our cost last yr.

It was the 'exclusive offers' that drew us in and the fact we had had an 'invitation' which I presumed we may get something extra for booking early!

If I buy a bottle of shampoo instore at Tesco its the same price as if I buy it online so why not holidays? Supermarkets have overheads too!

It's just another way to squeeze more money out of us and unfortunately I'm one of these people who get lots of holidays via my job so can ONLY go during school holidays!!

Bellshill, United...
Level Contributor
778 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Web prices cheaper than in store! Found to our cost last yr.

I saved £2k from what i was quoted for my honeymoon this October.

Godalming, United...
Level Contributor
712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Web prices cheaper than in store! Found to our cost last yr.

I,ve actually found that some shops are not prepared to price match nowadays and even if they do,we have to do all of the work and then ask them to match it.While I don,t wish to see travel agents or anyone for that matter lose their jobs,if they can,t match online prices,then I,m afraid it,s their loss!

Personally,I object to sitting at a computer and doing all of the work to be told ,yes we will match that! Do it in the first place and we will happily book with you and keep the high street travel agents open!

We live in a competetive world,so compete!

On my soap box

Pat

lancs
Level Contributor
2,337 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Web prices cheaper than in store! Found to our cost last yr.

No. You are right Pat. We have booked holidays over the internet and never had a single problem. Any queries have always been answered over the phone anyway.

West Midlands
Level Contributor
202 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Web prices cheaper than in store! Found to our cost last yr.

I much prefer booking my holidays online. Years ago you had no choice but to use travel agents but they found you the quickest holiday and packed you off, nowadays I prefer to do my own homework on the hotels and resort and at least its my choice to go there and know what to expect you dont get that service from some travel agents they just want you out the shop asap and to pay the most. Even when I phoned TC or Thomson they can never match the website cost so I think eventually most Travel Agencies might close or even downscale but thats not because we dont want to use them but because we tend to find a better deal ourselves now online.

Barnsley, United...
Level Contributor
2,368 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Web prices cheaper than in store! Found to our cost last yr.

I always go online but then go in store and book face to face if u have any problems with your holiday you get better treatment then someone on the end of the phone who just fob you off.

Godalming, United...
Level Contributor
712 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Web prices cheaper than in store! Found to our cost last yr.

Hi Dingle,

I can,t say that I,ve ever been 'fobbed off' on the phone,but I,ve usually only phoned up with menial enquiries and rarely have I actually booked on the phone.As I said,it,s just the fact that they repeat everything that I,ve already done and then only come up with the same price or a worse one,I have yet to be offered a better price instore,but as you say,it is nice to deal face to face sometimes,I just wish that the prices were better instore

When you say problems are they pre or post holiday? If I am ever unlucky enough to encounter problems,I stamp my feet a little and get them them dealt with by the hotel (always effective in my experience) as when you get home,it,s too late and your holiday is already spoilt!

Pat