We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is it about Turkey?

lancs
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
What is it about Turkey?

Hi. We are visiting Turkey for the first time this summer, staying at the Baia Lara. I have been following the forum with interest. The one thing that I have noticed is that many people return here year after year,(as do many of our friends.) The only other place that we have been to on holiday that generates the same amount of interest and return customers is the Maldives(in fact they call themselves Maldives addicts!) Unfortunately, due to financial reasons we cannot afford to be Maldives addicts! What is it about Turkey and the Antalya area in particular that makes you return year after year?

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is it about Turkey?

In Turkey one can find everything,whatever your interest are it is here-beaches,sea,history,nature,outdoor activities,extreme sports,culture,great food,good shopping,great nightlife,very friendly decent locals and still good value for money.In short it has it all-as you'll soon discover :)

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,463 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is it about Turkey?

Hi westieman

I think first and foremost what attracts people to Turkey are the lovely people that go out of their way to please you.

With regard to the Antalya area and I assume you mean Lara beach, then what brings many people back time and again is the fantastic value for money hotels and the luxury of them compared to say Spain and Greece.

The weather is another factor and even though it reaches such high temperatures in summer you can always escape to the air conditioned interior of your hotel.

I have converted several friends to Turkey and Sunqueen and Bugalugs to name 2 both said their OH would not like Turkey yet both have been numerous times in the last couple of years !

I am sure you will be another victim !!! lol and will be hooked on the Country that as stated above offers everything you could possibly wish for.

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is it about Turkey?

As Ann says we are a converted family lol.

For us, one of the main pulls was having a room that has separate bedrooms for our older teens and also aquapark/funfairs etc.,

The AI facilities are the best we've had and the hotels we've been to have premium branded drinks, excellent food and we know the children are safe and happy. I can highly recommend Turkey.

Sadly we will not be returning next year (unless we win the lottery) as we want to take the kids to Florida (probably my DD's last holiday with us).

Cambridge UK
Level Contributor
593 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is it about Turkey?

Puropse built and new 5 * hotels and only a 4 hour flight. And for Lara beach a short transfer time - important when you have young children.

It's out 4th year in a row to Antalya.

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
4,137 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is it about Turkey?

How could I forget short flying time!

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
1,451 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is it about Turkey?

We have been holidaying in Turkey since 1987.

The things that keep us returning year after year are the culture, the weather, the food, all the things already mentioned..........but first and foremost, it's the people.

Wherever we have stayed, and the list is fairly large and varied, we have been welcomed by the locals. We love to make friends wherever we go, and whatever you give, they will return a hundredfold. They are the most genuine, friendly race I have ever come across.

South Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
696 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is it about Turkey?

I got converted 10 years ago, and have never looked back. Everything the previous posts have said and more... but please keep it to your self as we don't want too many people invading our holidays!!!!!

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
375 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What is it about Turkey?

We've been visiting Turkey since 2010 so are new to the country. We've been 3 times now and are due to visit for a 4th time in August.

We first went to Torba (just outside Bodrum) with our 4 children and really didn't know what to expect but we just loved it. The people, the climate, the hotels, the food. We are true converts. So much so we changed our holiday in 2011 from the Canaries to Turkey.

Bodrum is very different to Lara Beach as it has a rugged coastline whereas Lara Beach is flat. We have enjoyed both.

We're off to Side this year and am looking at Kusadasi for 2013 unless we can find a good deal for Lara Beach.

Louby

Wingene, Belgium
Level Contributor
482 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What is it about Turkey?

we've been in Bodrum twice and this year we'll visit Antalya for the 5th time in the same charming hotel 'Karyatit' in the old city Kaleiçi.

we used to like 4 or 5 * all incl. beach hotels because of the nice food and the cocktails...

but after staying once in the small Karyatit hotel (approx.25 rooms) we did not like the 1000+ guests hotels anymore.

the large hotels are usualy a bit remote and we like walking and shopping in the city. having a drink on a terrace in the streets watching people walk by just at the doorstep of the hotel...

lancs
Level Contributor
2,378 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What is it about Turkey?

Thanks everyone for your replies. Very interesting reading!