We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fethiye or Side

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
394 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Fethiye or Side

Hi,

We're booked at Side from 12-16th April. But having done some more research (and after just learning the beach from Skyfall is Fethiye!!), are startring to give a serious consideration to Fethiye.

This is our first trip to Turkey and given the surprising lack of information on the web, we went ahead with Side considering its got one of the better beaches in the area. However, the below points may make us look at Fethiye over Side:

1- Side being a lot more spread out vs Fethiye which is a more compact place- better for a shorter stay?

2- Better nightlife at Fethiye, caters to a younger crowd?

3- and most of all, better beach (Oludeniz) at Fethiye?

4- Fethiye better connected and easier access to more places bearby?

This being our first trip, would like to make the most of what we've got...Would be very keen to hear what you've got to suggest. Thanks!

PS- we were almost decided on Philippines and Turkey was a last minute change-- so looking for our beach fill these 4 days--- not really into history.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,878 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fethiye or Side

One thing you ought to consider is which airport can you get to easier? Dalaman serves Fethiye area, whilst you want Antalya for Side.

Actually the beach scenes in Skyfall were filmed in Calis - which is an area of Fethiye (Fethiye itself is a working town with a large marina, but no beach). Olu Deniz is a beautiful beach with amazing scenery, and is near Fethiye. Can't help you with Side since I have never been there.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
394 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fethiye or Side

Thanks for pointing that out- we fly in and out of antalya and fethiye would be a longer trip either way. We have infact thought about it too.

I did read the fethiye beaches are actually out of town but very accessible. Isnt that right?

April wouldnt be high season really so hows the frequency of these buses?

Many thanks,

scotland
Level Contributor
590 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Fethiye or Side

Hi, Side has a much better beach than Olu Deniz, and in fact is one of the best beaches in Turkey. We have been to Olu Deniz many times but it is very expensive to go to the blue lagoon itself every day(you have to pay to get into the lagoon, then pay for your sunbeds & umbrella) and in fact it is very stony and quite rocky to get into the sea, you would need beach shoes. I didnt like the beaches round the corner in the lagoon itself. There is plenty to do in Side and I think they have a couple of nightclubs. I would point out that there are more Germans & Swedish/Norwegian who go to Side but thats not a problem. We go to Side at least once a year but dont go April time so not sure what the temperature would be like & how cold the sea would be. Hope this helps

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
394 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fethiye or Side

Thanks Serangoon- it does help. Kind of insights one can only find from real people!

This is really the first time i've heard someone say how good the beach at Side is. All the good feedback on beaches has been reserved for odu/ cirali etc it seemed.

Thanks,

Swindon England
Level Contributor
297 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fethiye or Side

Hi

We have stayed at Club Letoonia outside Fethiye lovely complex and had a water taxi to town. Fethiye is a lovely quiet town but very isolated.

We return to Side in June. Side has Roman ruins, night life, wonderful tourist shops loads of Jewelers. There are several beaches and by April The Med may be good for a swim. Side is a well located base to explore Roman Turkey. We have enjoyed eating out around the Harbour in Side and there are many clubs

However I would regard April, other than Easter, as low season. The European School holidays cover July and August so both Side and Fethiye will be quiet in April.

Have a good holiday

Dariusdave

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
394 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fethiye or Side

Thanks a lot to all those who took time to share their thoughts.

We're going to stick with Side.

7. Re: Fethiye or Side

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 March 2014, 04:18