We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fire??? Baia Lara..any info

scotland
Level Contributor
4,114 posts
121 reviews
Save Topic
Fire??? Baia Lara..any info

Dear TC please confirm that you are flying your clients home after the Baia Lara Hotel Fire, (a) immediately tomorrow (b) at your cost. Also please confirm they will be offered a replacement equivalent holiday next year. For those potential clients and current clients how will you ensure fire safety across the relevant operation/hotels.

THIS was on Thos Cook facebook page this morning..Hope nobody hurt?

East Dunbartonshire
Level Contributor
2 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
81. Re: Fire??? Baia Lara..any info

Having seen Baia Lara before and after fire this must be one of the safest hotels in Lara Beach

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
82. Re: Fire??? Baia Lara..any info

I worked in all the places I named (plus others) and didn't notice much difference in safety standards between them!

My post wasn't to scare anyone and the companies do send h&s execs out once in a blue moon to check the main things like fire escapes, alarms, stickers on patio windows, signage etc etc but most of the responsibility is on the hotel to maintain / upkeep everything.

Reps can also report issues but if the companies were to pull out of every hotel that didn't meet UK standards there'd be no package holidays abroad!

Sel

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
2,033 posts
232 reviews
Save Reply
83. Re: Fire??? Baia Lara..any info

Its important to remember that accidents can happen anywhere though - even in the UK with all our rules and regulations.

As awful as this may have been for all those affected, there were no fatalities and the latest reports suggest things have been improved greatly at the hotel.

Reading through the posts, I think most people's issues seem to be more with the way the incident was dealt with by the holiday companies, reps etc

Sel

Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
84. Re: Fire??? Baia Lara..any info

Cleversunsurfer, so sorry to hear that you were involved in this experience and totally sympathise with how you feel now. Its horrendous. Sel, you've made some excellent points but I think holiday companies have a lot to answer for by not making us aware that safety isnt to the same standards as the UK. Lets face it you wouldn't send your child in the sea knowing there were sharks circling! Daft point, I know but sure you get my meaning! You're quite right of course,that this can happen anywhere but I still feel that if tour operators use these hotels they have a duty to ensure certain standards simple as. . Think I will go to centerparcs next year! Honestly it does put you off going abroad and makes you feel that once they've got your money they don't give a damn. Just so relieved that no one was hurt but its the emotional effects that will stay with them for a very long time, perhaps forever

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
85. Re: Fire??? Baia Lara..any info

It hasn't been uploaded as yet, but feel very strongly that neither Thomas cook or Thomsons want anything or know anything about the incident

Chester, West...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
86. Re: Fire??? Baia Lara..any info

Another fire 27/11/13

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
87. Re: Fire??? Baia Lara..any info

What happened.? Hope you are all ok. We experienced the fire there in July. Kathy

Chester, West...
Level Contributor
2 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
88. Re: Fire??? Baia Lara..any info

About 7.30 in the evening a fire alarm was activated. It appears that not all areas had a fire alarm activated.

Some staff were knocking on doors to evacuate the hotel. It was not well organised.

The reception area was thick with acrid smoke. An electrical problem in the disco was the cause.

The fire service attended and we were allowed back in the hotel 1 hour later.

i heard some guests complaining of breathing problem, but I don't think there was anything serious.

I was not under the impression that much had changed with the proceedures that were in place in July.

Regards

John

Worcester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
89. Re: Fire??? Baia Lara..any info

I'm glad to hear you are all ok. It's such a scary thing to happen and so awful that nothing seems to have been done to improve the fire procedure. The big fear is if this happens in the middle of the night when people are asleep. It's such a lovely hotel seems really sad.

Kind regards, Kathy

90. Re: Fire??? Baia Lara..any info

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 December 2014, 05:17