We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Antalya shopping - carpets - Jewelry. A piece of advice.

Which Antalya hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Antalya shopping - carpets - Jewelry. A piece of advice.

To avoid others to be ripped off, I'd like to inform you that ARGOS Jewelart, a major JEWELRY chain in the Antalya area does not hesitate to lie, to cheat and to rob you. My misfortune begins in a very posh hotel "the Kempisnki The Dome" in Belek. I don't go on holidays to buy things but Argos had a shop in our hotel. So, you know how it goes.. In the evening we stroll around and just have a look at the shop windows. The well trained crook sales people are there, waiting for their prey. They are so nice, so friendly, in fact they are preparing the "friendship trap". After a few days of friendly chat, The Hotel Argos salesperson invited us to go and see a bigger Jewelry shop - the Argos jewelry supermarket - just to see how big Argos is. Once inside, a sales shark follows you everywhere, he even follows your eye movements and anything you rest your eye on is immediately thrown into your hands by the shark. The shark is very talkative but will never mention a price, price is to be discussed later. To cut a long story short, I fell in love with a nice diamond ring. The first price quoted was .. 9 000 euros !! Unfordable, of course. But, for special "friends" of the Kempinski Argos shop, they were ready to let it go for 7 500 euros only (!!). Then, for 6 000 euros and finally, just for us and tax-free, the ring could be mine for 5 000 euros.... With a certificate, of course. Don't tell me, there is something very fishy in a 4 000 euro discount ... Now I know, then, my brain was on holidays... Once back home, this ring lost its stone ! So I had to go and see a proper jeweller in Brussels. To my amazement,I was told that the gold is porous, the grips too weak to hold the stone, and the stone quality is average and not "top quality" as written on the Argos "certificate". In fact, everything on the "certificate" is wrong. The replacement value of the ring is 2 300 euros (including 21% vat and according to Belgian prices) The price of the repair is 315 euros. So the rip off amounts to 3 015 euros !

So my piece of advice is to avoid all ARGOS shops. (They have shops in many hotels in the Antalya area, so beware !)

I have been too long already, so for carpets, my advice is to buy them home, in a proper carpet shop. Turkey used to be the "carpet land" but no longer so. They import most of their carpets (particularly silk ones) from China. Nothing wrong with that except that they will swear that their Chinese carpets are actually made of silk and Turkish. So you will pay a good price for a genuine silk on silk Turkish carpet but much too much for a fake silk (rayon) Chines carpet. So please avoid the carpet shop at the Kempinski The Dome, Belek and Mustafa Tokkac shops : the ASYA carpet gallery in Hotel Papillon Zeugma and the SULTAN carpet fgallery in Hotel Papillon Aysha.

Thanks for sharing this.

Oxfordshire, United...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Antalya shopping - carpets - Jewelry. A piece of advice.

Thank you for your review of ARGOS JEWEL ART. I wish I had read this before our visit which was a very similar experience - Their staff are rude and arrogant crooks. Treat tourists/visitors with zero respect. Cheap over-priced jewellery. Avoid at all costs. Visited on 24th June 2014 - Awful experience.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Antalya shopping - carpets - Jewelry. A piece of advice.

So sorry to read that... I try my best to warn everybody but ... do not hesitate to ask for a refund and to put pressure on both Argos and your hotel (if the shop was in the hotel) or on your tour operator; I eventually managed to have some money back but it was though and long procedure.

The Hague
Level Contributor
11 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Antalya shopping - carpets - Jewelry. A piece of advice.

I also have some advice - particular about buying jewelry in Antalya. please see my December 15 2014 post

"Tips for buying at jewelry outlets in Antalya"

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297962-i772-k8001…

4. Re: Antalya shopping - carpets - Jewelry. A piece of advice.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2015, 06:16
Get answers to your questions about Antalya