We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Euros or Lira?

Aberdeen, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Euros or Lira?

We are off to Lara Beach in October and I was just wondering which currency is best to take as I see there is a problem with lira at the moment?

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,269 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Euros or Lira?

Take Sterling (English not Scottish notes, clean and undamaged - I understand you can order them at the bank) and change to TL in resort.

You will get a much better rate of exchange in Turkey. Current Bank Rate is: http://kur.doviz.com/serbest-piyasa/sterlin

The lower rate for TL in the UK is due to the Turkish government withholding supplies in an effort to shore up the exchange rate.

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
7,224 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Euros or Lira?

Don't bother changing Sterling to Euro then Lira. You'll lose out on commission.

Just change a little to Lira before you travel to give you cash until you get your bearings. £50-100 is ample even if you intend taking an airport taxi to your hotel :-)

Warrington, Cheshire
Level Contributor
109 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Euros or Lira?

The lira is very good at the moment. 3.35 to the £. I would get some here then change in Turkey. If planning on buying goods, jewellery clothes bags etc, they do like £ can get a slightly better deal.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
89 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Euros or Lira?

From experience if you buy things in lira in the market for instance, you will get your change in euros so far better to take euros so you can work out how much change you should get!

Fethiye, Turkey
Level Contributor
996 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Euros or Lira?

How strange.. Any reason why they give change in euros? As lira is the domestic currency i cant understand why they wouldnt just give change in lira to someone paying in Lira?

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
7,224 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Euros or Lira?

I have never heard of getting change in Euro when paying in Lira. The only thing I can think of was the stall holder had Euro coinage he wanted rid of as it's harder to exvhange than notes and though he'd offload it. I'd have refused it.

Level Contributor
752 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Euros or Lira?

Hi, we just can back on Sunday after a great break.

I used the ATM at the airport and I got 3.56 TL to the £ after taking the commission into account using a Nationwide debit card.

However, my first experience was at Burger King just outside, and got a part of the change back in Euro as they did not have enought TL? Also at the bazaar all prices were in Euro and when we said we wanted to pay in TL they simply multiplied the Euro price by 3! The exchange should have been around 2.8 TL??? Anyway I did think that next time I would just come with Euro - actually the HSBC ATM at the airport would have allowed me to withdraw in Euro.

Also, this was my first trip and a last minute one at that so I did not research before traveling so I may have got it all wrong , but this was my experience and initial thought.

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
7,224 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Euros or Lira?

Dr Jones which part of Antalya was the market in you needed Euros for. I actually think it's a bit of the traders thinking they are being clever. With the recent ups and downs ( mostly downs) of the lira they probably are trying to gather as many £s and € s as they can in case the rate falls again. Pre Euro prices were displayed in a myriad of currencies.

I can understand the airport a bit more as they do accept a lot of Euros and change is often a problem.

But the Lira is the official currency and nowhere can refuse to take it or not give you change in it.

Chipping Ongar...
Level Contributor
4 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Euros or Lira?

I fly out on the 8th and all I been told to bring is lira so that's all I'm taking got some sterling just for the airport

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
7,224 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Euros or Lira?

You'll be fine :-)

Just remember when bartering to specify which currency at the start ;-)

Enjoy