We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Disappointed

London
2 posts
Save Topic
Disappointed

Having looked forward to visiting Kalkan and following reports on here and enjoy kalkan, I have to say how so disappointed we was. We had been lead to belive that Kalkan is a quiet, sofisticated resort with very little in the way of loud bars, and caters for the more discerning traveller. How wrong that is. The noise from the harbour bars boomed its way to the area we were staying in, Komerluk. Even at 2am on the terrace of the villa all we could hear was the loud beat of some dreadful music, which one night went on till 4am. We had dinner at the mahal, on the waters edge, again recommended as a romantic, peaceful location. At one point, we just wanted to get up an go as the harbour noise drove us mad.

We ate in the Trio and the Aubergine as these seemed to be highly recommended. The staff in the Trio were very busy and looked stressed. My dinner ended up on the table! The waiter put it down with such force, the steak went flying - he was sweating a flustered so we decided to leave. The Aubergine, again very busy, offered a much better service. Our best meal was at the Coast at Gironda.

We had a hire car as part of the holiday, but found driving in Kalkan too hetic - I have never seen so many cars in such a small village/town - they were everywhere and coming at us from all directions. Even on foot trying to cross the road was a nightmare. The good thing about this resort is it's fabulous scenery. I have just had a long conversation with the tour operator we travelled with, and they agree that the ambience of Kalkan has changed, even over the last year and have told me they are in the process of changing their description of the resort We paid a high price for a holiday which just did not come up to expectation.

We understand that things move on and change happens, but it would have been good to be pre-warned, then maybe it wouldn't have been such a shock to us. Sadly for us Kalkan is not the place of dreams.

NEWCASTLE
Level Contributor
80 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Disappointed

Hi Vikki

We have been going to Kalkan for around 15 years and over the last 5 years have been there twice a year. We were their for 3.5weeks in June (also in Komerluk) and are returning in Sept for 2 weeks. We have noticed changes, particularly over the last 2 years and definately this year but for us Kalkan will always have some magic that if I could bottle it and sell it I would be living there in the most expensive villa I could buy!

Sorry you dont feel the same, but in response to your points:

The noise from town did go on well into the early hours and some bars are now ridiculously noisy (Pasha). A few years ago there was a curfew at around 11-12pm (the Moonlight had to close the doors for instance). This is something only the Beledyere can resolve, but even with the noise across the harbour you cannot have failed to have been moved by sitting on your balcony with a glass of wine watching the moonlight on the water and gazing out to Mouse and Snake island.

Driving in Kalkan is simple. The only busy part is between the Tesko roundabout and the taxi rank roundabout, all of 50 m. The harbour is busy daytime but surely this experience is part of the fun of being away. You never see road rage in Kalakan, make an error and you will get a smile from the other driver, as long as you havent hit him.

During evening hours no cars are allowed in the old town, again the two roundabouts get busy but so what, chill, laugh, you are on holiday, you are in no particular rush to cross anyway generally!

Glad you enjoyed the restaurants. If we hit a busy point in the evening and service is slow, does it matter?, where are you going next? have another drink, a stressed out customer doesnt help a busy waiter.

I have to say for the first time this year we noticed a lot more younger people ( not that we are old I hope) and saw some behaviour not seen before in Kalkan like a group of youths drinking cans of beer as they walked down the street, all in a line. but if we had been 2 mins earlier we would have missed it and been none the wiser.

Give it another go!!!!, its not Olu Deniz or Marmaris

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Disappointed

Hi Vikki - I too am saddened that Kalkan did not live up to your expectations - it still holds that magic for me but yes - it has changed over recent years BUT it is still a long way from a Marmaris or Olu Deniz type of place. Had you been there - I think you would have thought you had gone to heaven and back when visiting Kalkan!

Yes - the bars can be noisy but I understand that the Mayor/Belediye are to crack down on the noise past midnight. Regrettably the bars are only in response to peoples needs and those are quite often the local turkish who enjoy a drink and a boogie after a long days work - and who can blame them! Naturally there are more tourists frequenting these places - and I cant say that I like russian dancers on tables and similar but they are only catering for visitors tastes. Once you leave the town and return to your villa/hotel/apart you still have the same peace, solitude and amazing views - I have never been troubled by noise even though our villa is close to town. At least Kalkan is not full of pubs, karaoke, all day english breakfasts and sunday roasts (although again a few have popped up due to demand) but it is still not overun with them and has no Mac Ds or BK!!!

Cheers!

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Disappointed

I am sorry but I am quite interested why people can be so negative about Ölüdeniz and Marmaris.

As the forum is around for all tastes, I think we should respect that first of all, secondly when someone is not happy somewhere I am disappointed that all can be said is that other places are worse.

I would not go to Marmaris to spent a holiday, as it is for a big town, having said that it does have the best coast (up to Fethiye) from all Turkey!

That are the words from people I meet through my business, and I share that opinion while sailing between Marmaris and Rhodes.

Plus the drive down from the mainroad to Marmaris is stunning as well, it is so good to see that the local politcians saved the huge Eucalyptus trees along the old road!

Secondly Olüdeniz is a beach resort, all the hotels are built within the limit of only 2 floors. There is no jetty to protect the beach, there is no real night life in Ölüdeniz, but there are sseveral lounge cafe's and restaurants. The atmosphere is very laid back. It is not a destination for only 1 nationality, it attrackts lots of people from all over because of the lagoon and more because it has the highest mountain that close to a sea with optimum conditions for paragliding from the world.

Ölüdeniz can be very busy especially in the weekends as also loads of locals go and in the full summer, but there are always quieter places (far left end), Kidrak beach, Kabak beach.

A last thing I like to mention, I am not on this forum to promote my village, (as I am expert on Istanbul) but all in all, I think Turkey is a fantastic country for holidays and it does offer about everything for every taste.

Enjoy your holidays!

London
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Disappointed

We have never been to Olu Deniz, Hisoronu, or indeed Marmaris as these resorts correctly advertise themselves as lively and boistrous so I am not sure why these have even been mentioned in reply to my post. All I am saying is Kalkan was not the quiet, upmarket, peaceful resort we expected. We satyed in a fabulous villa, probably one of Kalkan's finest with fantastic views of the harbour. It was just a pitty that the noise from the bars spoilt what could have been a great holiday. I have no beef against anyone letting their hair down after a long day at work, but if this is the norm, then this should be used in the holiday description for Kalkan so visitors know what to expect - I have just read the brochure again and there is no mention of loud bars or after work partying.

Perhaps we were unlucky choosing the area that we did in respect to the noise. I just found it to be such a shame as without the music, I am sure the atmosphere would have been blissfully magical. We did chat to some UK residents of Kalkan who said that early or late season is a better time to visit.

In response to stressing out a waiter - he was already there - we added no more stress until the steak took a dive onto the table. We didn'e even make a fuss, my husband quietly asked for the bill for the drinks we had drunk and we unassumingly left.

As for the driving - for a first timer it is certainly bewildering - we was absolutley fine outside of Kalkan - well apart from Fethiye - One day we was driving by the large supermarket accross the road from a nursery selling pots and plants, and a car was coming head on towards us. I screamed at my poor husband to tell him he was on the wrong side of the road but he wasn't, the other driver was. We had a choice to pull up against some parked cars or swerve into some concrete flower pots. It does seem amusing now as I sit here writing this, and probably was to the bystanders looking at the shock on my face. We probably had first timers written on our foreheads. However, it seemed that no matter what time of day or night we ventured into Kalkan we had a similar hair raising experience. We resorted to using taxis in the end.

The tour operator we booked through describes the tourist in kalkan similar to those who visit the Dordogne or Tuscany. Having visited both of those woderful places I just couldn's see it myself - maybe I had my blinkers on.

I agree that Turkey is a wonderful country and we have visited Istanbul on a couple of occassions which we hugely enjoyed.

Maybe we will try Kalkan again one day - but will definately stay away from the harbour and will definately not go in high season.

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,313 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Disappointed

Hi Vikki,

Turkey is full with nice and quiet places, the thing is nobody can tell you in a brochure what the neighbors do at night. The thing in Turkey is that many businesses are changed like a pair of shoes.

I live in a wonderful peaceful valley, but then somebody puts the donkey just opposite our garden, lol! Turkey's main national income is tourism, so every single soul tries to make even a small living out of it.

Funny that you mention Kalkan was compared to Tuscany, I always compare the Saklikent area with Tuscany, not Kalkan though. I would locate Kalkan on the French riviera, not a particular place come to mind right now.

If you stay just a little bit more inland you will problably find a place of your dreams!

Cheers

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Disappointed

Having been past Kalkan, either by road or sea, for getting on for 20 years, we actually spent a night there last year after a trip further east, just to see what it was like, since it's the subject of a lot of comment on TA.

I would agree with you that the "music" that the bars and restaurants by the harbour start to play at night can be annoying - we stopped for an after dinner drink down there and our bar/restaurant was playing terrible Eurotrash pop music in competition with a real bar across the street, which was playing slightly better music. We might have stayed for another drink (we normally would!) but the cacophony was just plain annoying and we were a bit surprised as it did seem at odds with Kalkan's projected image.

That being said, overall it seems a pretty decent place and it's clear that a lot of people enjoy it enormously.

As far as driving is concerned, I'm afraid you just have to get used to it. From memory, I terrified more pedestrians down by the harbour in Kalkan than other drivers annoyed me - but then I'm used to southern and eastern Mediterranean driving techniques and employ a few of them myself.

If you think the scenery in Kalkan is fabulous, you should try Göcek, which certainly doesn't suffer from much loud music, but nowhere is really "a place of dreams".

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Disappointed

You have to laugh.

TA just censored my post as it contained a Latin word that it considered "profane".

Just look to where I've inserted '/' and use your imaginations!

kalkan
Level Contributor
49 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Disappointed

Undoubtedly kalkan has changed and can no longer be thought of as that sleepy quiet place away from it all.

Apart from the noisy bars, there are loads of places selling full english breakfasts, the cars are a real nuisance and my pet hate: the new motorway style street lights which flood in to every nook and cranny ruining what was a great place for star gazing.

With package holidays to kalkan now being sold on the high street, and 'sleeps 10' villa holidays being sold on the internet, any exclusivity kalkan had is now, unfortunately a thing of the past.

London, United...
Level Contributor
408 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Disappointed

We very nearly bought a villa in Kalkan a couple of years ago, but the main reason we did not, was the noise at night rising up from the town. This was in May 2007, so still early in the season. Now with the benefit of hindsight, I am very glad that we did not.

Unfortunately, the natural topography of Kalkan means that any noise will simply echo around the surrounding hills. Have a look on enjoykalkan.com, there is a similar discussion going on at the moment. The comments on there back up what is being said here. Kalkan seems to be changing and, unfotunately, not for the better.

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Disappointed

How sad,another one bites the dust :(

From now on if you are lucky enough to find a pretty little hideaway-keep your mouth shut or 10 years later you may live to regret telling others about it!

Get answers to your questions about Kalkan