We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Regency Hotel

Which Kalkan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dorset
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Regency Hotel

Stayed in Kalkan in August but the visit was spoilt by the poor standard at the Regency Spa Hotel which is on the edge of the town. Staff and especially the mangers were very rude and only care about cashing in from guests. So avoid that place and enjoy the town and the people who are great. We did not find the place noisy but then most visitors are Uk couples in their 50s - so for us 30 somethings it may be different!

Ipswich
Level Contributor
533 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Regency Hotel

Assume you mean the Regency Hotel just off the Kalamar Road?

This was once the top rated hotel in Kalkan on the Trip Advisor hotel reviews! Used to be with Tapestry Holidays until they split the company with Exclusive Escapes who I believe took the Regency.

I've never stayed there but have been there many times for turkish baths (Tapestry Holidays used to organise it for you). Last time I went was 3 years ago - a friend and I decided to stay for lunch after our bath. We found the staff quite aloof compared to those at the hotel we were staying at (Meldi). In fact I was told by a waiter I've known for many years that he had previously worked there and the staff were not allowed to converse with the guests, merely serve them and get on with their job. Didn't seem to be a particularly friendly place - when you say "Poor Standard" do you mean that the rooms are not up to scratch?

We also got speaking to a couple in a restaurant who were staying at the Regency a few years back and they didn't rate the restaurant food there.

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Regency Hotel

I'm with Blynda here - I too have heard that although it used to be the top rated hotel in kalkan it is impersonal and aloof - I too have known staff there who have moved elsewhere and said the same. Coincidentally - the Meldi have some of the friendliest staff - like chalk and cheese from the Regency..!!!

Try that hotel another time...www.meldihotelcom!

Cheers!

london
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Regency Hotel

Can't understand why it gets some good reviews. Rooms small and in need of a refresh. As other point out staff are very poor and the manager is very pushy. Think it has changed in recent years and is now a poorly run cash cow living off past reputation. My bill after our stay was wrong (very obviously) but I was treated aggressively and NO apology. Food so-so and over hyped. Much nicer places to stay in Kalkan - were the service is what it should be.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
533 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Regency Hotel

Glad it's not just me then!

Strange how things change isn't it? A few years ago it used to be "the place to go" but I think it's got some competition now from the new hotels which have opened in the last year or two.

Mind you, I think that about a couple of the restaurants as well. Won't mention any names but one that opened a few years back received a visit from us after looking it over and studying the menu. I swear my meal had been cooked earlier and re-heated and one of my dining companions complained about his meal - it was very disappointing. Then as I went down to the ladies an English guy actually said "Ciao" to me as we passed on the stairs. (Knew he was English as we'd seen and heard him at the Regency). How pretentious is that? We went back the following year as guests of other friends (their choice to go there) and it still felt the same - lots of posers who felt they ought to be seen there!

5. Re: Regency Hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 March 2010, 04:47
Get answers to your questions about Kalkan