We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving from antalya airport to kalkan

uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
driving from antalya airport to kalkan

is the journey straight forward as i will be driving at night in a hire car

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving from antalya airport to kalkan

From Antalya it is a very scenic drive along the coast road ( D-400 ) taking approx 3 - 3.5 hours. ...it will be a slower drive at night and in the dark

But I wouldn't suggest driving a long distance at night on strange roads. You will be tired after the flight, and this may affect your driving.

have a read at this link..for advise about driving in Turkey.

tripadvisor.com/…5753802

Q - Why is night driving so dangerous?

A - Except on the freeway (for example, the Istanbul-Ankara Autogar) and in well-lighted cities, night driving conceals hair-raising hazards.

For instance, all the hazards of children, animals, and vehicles pulling in from the side of the road are magnified when you have trouble seeing them due to darkness. Potholes and speed bumps can more easily catch you by surprise at night.

also I should add the D-400 is good and easy to follow..however after Finike and up to at least Kas..the road becomes a single lane and much narrower and twisty compared to the rest of the highway..

again I would not want to navigate a strange road like this at night..day time is ok.

why not find a place close to Antalya to spend the night and then continue driving the next day to Kalkan

I would recommend that you either spend the night in Antalya or the say Cirali..or alternatively say Finike..and then start fresh the next day.

Antalya airport to Cirali = 1.5 hours..

Cirali to Finike - 1 hour

what time does your flight arrive at ?? in Antalya..

Mentioned in this post
Antalya
Antalya
Antalya Province, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Ankara
Ankara
Ankara Province, Turkey
Kalkan
Kalkan
Antalya Province, Turkey
Cirali
Cirali
Antalya Province, Turkey
Antalya Airport
Antalya Airport
Antalya, Turkey
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving from antalya airport to kalkan

PS..this was posted by another member..MuratAnkara

tripadvisor.com/…6488311

And this following is a very brief summary about driving in Turkey;

1. The fuel price is the most expensive in the world. Around 3 YTL per litre (2 dollars, and this is not gallon price, 1 gallon is approximately 4 litres) Be prepare to spend aroud 15 dollars per 100 kms.

2. The rules are not strict. So drive very carefully. If the driver is not an experienced driver, think twice before hiring a car. Do not make assumptions as "This is my right to go according to rules" because while you may be right, it does not do any good being right after getting into an accident (god forbids)

3. And definitely avoid driving after the sunset, in the dark. Be very carefull with big trucks, motorcyles, tractors and cars with animals in the countryside.

4. Sometimes there are constructions going on, on the roads, there are pebbles as part of the pavement, and the roads can get pretty slippery, lots of accidents happen that way, be very carefull.

5. Also beware that the danger may come from behind too. Always check your rear mirrors.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
uk
Level Contributor
15 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving from antalya airport to kalkan

my flight arrives at 20.30 hrs.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: driving from antalya airport to kalkan

As Canmom says, it's going to take you 3-4 hours to get to Kalkan. If you haven't much experience of driving in Turkey, I'd say don't drive at night. Grab a cheap bed for the night in Antalya and leave the driving for the daylight.

Mentioned in this post
Kalkan
Kalkan
Antalya Province, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Antalya
Antalya
Antalya Province, Turkey
West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,357 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: driving from antalya airport to kalkan

I think to a large extent it comes down to whether you are a confident driver and whether you have experience of driving in other countries, especially on the right hand side of the road.

It takes approximately 30 minutes to drive through Antalya, which is is perhaps the worst (most confusing) bit, after that the road is quite straight forward. Between Finike and Demre and between Kas and Kalkan the road follows the coast with lots of bends which obviously slows (mostly) things down.

Yes you would have to keep you wits about you (but then you should be doing that anyway) and look out for vehicles without lights and the odd animal that may cross the road

Personally I find it no more dangerous than driving in the UK, especially a large unfamiliar town. After Antalya, especially at night there is less traffic on the road than you may be used to in the UK (depends where you live).

The first time I went to Kas from Antalya (rather than Dalaman) I drove from Antalya at the same sort of time as you are and, for me, is was perfectly OK, I enjoyed it apart from not being able to see the wonderful scenery ( I got that on the way back).

But do be aware that whatever else is on the road may act quite illogically and unpredictably - just give everything plenty of space. Also be prepared to be stopped by the police or Jandarma who routinely carry out random checks of vehicles. Furthermore, if there are road works do not expect the amount of signs and cones that we get in the UK, sometimes all the warning you get may be as little as a small pile of rocks and a bent metal sign.

Take your time and stick to the speed limits. It should take you between 3.5 and 4 hours without stopping.

Edited: 02 April 2010, 09:17
Mentioned in this post
Antalya
Antalya
Antalya Province, Turkey
Kas
Kas
Antalya Province, Turkey
Kalkan
Kalkan
Antalya Province, Turkey
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: driving from antalya airport to kalkan

all good advise from David and Adana..do keep in mind your flights arrives at 830pm..( BA flight usually on-time - but could be delayed or earlier )

then by the time you get out of customs and immigration and pick up your bags..let alone get your car..you will be looking at closer to 930pm by the time you get out of the aiport..

say you leave the airport at about 930pm you will not arrive to kalkan until about 130am..all this after a 4 hour flight..

so more than 8-9 hours in transit..

Mentioned in this post
Adana
Adana
Adana Province, Turkey
UK
Level Contributor
166 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: driving from antalya airport to kalkan

Having done both possible routes from Antalya to Kalkan, admittedly not at night, I would definitely go the inland way. Take the main road (350) east from Antalya to Korkuteli and then head south on the 635 to Elmali and then down to Kalkan via the outskirts of Gombe. The road is good and far less windy than the coastal route, you just need to keep your wits about your, or get a GPS, not to miss the turn off for Gombe after Elmali. It will certainly be a quicker route and you wouldn't see much of the (gorgeous) scenery on the coastal route at night anyway.

Edited: 16 April 2010, 16:18
Mentioned in this post
Antalya
Antalya
Antalya Province, Turkey
Kalkan
Kalkan
Antalya Province, Turkey
8. Re: driving from antalya airport to kalkan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Kalkan