We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Time to Kalkan - help please!

Which Kalkan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
210 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
First Time to Kalkan - help please!

Hi,

My boyfriend and I are travelling to Kalkan for a weeks holiday for the first week in July and I have a few questions...

We have never been to Turkey before and have no idea how much spending money would be appropriate to bring with us. We are staying at the Kulube Hotel B & B. How much money on average would we spend a day on lunch and dinner (we are both veggies so wont be splashing out on steak!!), together with a few cocktails?

Also, is it worth hiring a car? If so, any ideas how much that is per day? If not, are the organised trips good value?

As I mentioned we are both vegetarians, can anyone recommend any good places to eat with a bit of choice, and/or any good Turkish veggie dishes? I am a bit concerned about this as I usually make a post before I book to double check this so fingers crossed someone can help me out on this one!

FInally, is the walk from the Kulube to the village centre as bad as is made out? We are two fairly fit people but my boyfriend recently snapped the ligaments in his ankle and now I am worried he wont make the hill!

Thank you so much for any help or advice!

Amy

Lancashire
Level Contributor
569 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Time to Kalkan - help please!

Vegitaran food is great in Turkey as they use lots of veggies in imaginative ways. Most restaurants will have something for you.

England
Level Contributor
395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Time to Kalkan - help please!

Amy, most of your question are already covered on EnjoyKalkan.com. There have been recent threads on spending money, hiring a car and places to go. I am sure you will have a wonderful time.

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
210 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Time to Kalkan - help please!

Thank you for your help so far! I will have a look at the enjoykalkan website but when I went on it yesterday there seemed to be problems with the forum so any advice any trip advisor users can provide me with will be much appreciated! Also, any news on the hill to the Kulube (nicknamed Cardiac Hill in previous posts?!?!) would be greatly received.

Many thanks,

Amy

Chorley, Lancashire
Level Contributor
34 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Time to Kalkan - help please!

Hi Amy.

Very hard to judge how much spending money you would need as everyone spends so differently and Kalkan is quite expensive (compared to other holiday resorts, not the UK).

From memory me and my boyfriend probably spend about £600 per week staying B&B. That's not splashing out on the best restaurants, it includes meals at night, snacks in the day, entry to beach clubs and a trip or 2. Wine and cocktails are pricey (shame as I can't stand beer), doesn't include taxis or car hire. Hope that gives you a very rough idea.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
531 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First Time to Kalkan - help please!

Hi Amy - if you're on B & B at Kulube then I would say allow at least £500 spending money for a week. We're not vegetarians but often eat veggie whilst in Turkey as the dishes are so good. Wine and cocktails are expensive.

The walk into Kalkan town/harbour is around 20-25 minutes depending on how fast you walk and how hot it is. Don't believe anyone who tells you it's only 15 minutes cos it sure isn't!. Could be even longer coming back - don't know current prices for taxis as we always stay at the Meldi so never need them. First time we went to Kalkan we stayed at the Yelken which is the last hotel (now apartments) before the Kalamar road bends to the left above the bay. Loved it but the walk back put us off going there again I'm afraid and we ended up getting taxis most nights, but that was when they were about £1.50 - £2.00 a time! The walk is pleasant and we're fit but I don't want to arrive at a restaurant "glowing"!

Kalamar Beach Club is close to the Kulube but I think the hotel itself has similar terraced platforms above the bay which you'd be better off using at no charge.

Hope you enjoy it - this year is the first time we haven't been to Kalkan in 10 years. Have discovered cruising!

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
210 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First Time to Kalkan - help please!

Thank you everyone for all your help so far - I have decided that we will take £600ish to be on the safeside of things.Does anyone have the average price of a beer / every day essentials?

I have read on enjoykalkan that it may be better to exchange money at the buro de changes in Kalkan as you get a better exchange rate - is this true or am I best just changing my money before I go?

Also... any experiences of the walk into Kalkan from the Kulube?

Thanks again for your help so far!

Only 5 weeks to go now!!

Amy

Lancashire
Level Contributor
569 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First Time to Kalkan - help please!

You get a much better exchange in Kalkan. We use one of the many banks in Kalkan.

England
Level Contributor
395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First Time to Kalkan - help please!

It is a pleasant walk into Kalkan and coming back ,if you pace yourselves. The Cafe Vita is close to where you are staying, and is a good place for daytime snacks and drinks and a meal in the evening if you do not want to go into Kalkan. They are very reasonable and I think they have wifi.

There are also a few places you can stop and have a breather coming and going back.

Cheshire, UK
Level Contributor
210 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First Time to Kalkan - help please!

Thank you everyone for your help so far!

I have just thought of a few more questions....

Because our luggage allowance is only 15KG with our airline, I was thinking of only taking the essentials and buying some clothes while there... does anyone know if this is a good idea? If so, does anyone have any ideas on price? Also, the same goes for beach towels as they are rather heavy!

Finally, if anyone does have any other bits and bobs of info that they think it might be useful for me to know I will be very grateful!

Amy

England
Level Contributor
395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First Time to Kalkan - help please!

The Market on Thursdays has excellent towels at reasonable prices, same for clothes..... usually 3 t-shirts for a tenner. If you are not to fussed about shampoo, shower gel etc., save weight by buying those in Kalkan. Suntan lotion is cheaper in UK .

Get answers to your questions about Kalkan
Recent Conversations