We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day trip out

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
609 posts
200 reviews
Save Topic
A day trip out

This may sound a bit strange but this will be our third trip to Kalkan and we have never been on an organized day trip. We usually do our own thing and have been happy to rent a car for a day or so while there. I would love to go on a boat trip to say Kekova but my husband who can't swim is'nt too keen on being on a boat where people are happy to jump off into the sea for long periods of time, inbetween stops. I cannot sit out in the sun for too long as it's so hot (we will be going in June) so is it going to be a waste of time for us as we don't want to be party poopers huddled in the shade all day while the others on the boat are having a great time! Has anyone else been in this situation?

Mentioned in this post
Kalkan
Kalkan
Antalya Province, Turkey
Ipswich
Level Contributor
562 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A day trip out

We've often been on boat trips to Kekova. We never swim off the boat (I'll never swim in water unless my feet can touch the bottom!). There's always some shade on the boat we've been on and even though I'm not a "boat" person I always enjoy it.

Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
609 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day trip out

You really have put my mind at rest! Although I can swim and enjoy the water once I'm in my husband does'nt and is another one of the 'feet on the bottom at all times' brigade as he panics otherwise. We can only take so much sun so some shade is more then neccessary for both of us. Do you wear swimwear or the usual t-shirt and shorts as can't see either of us going in swimming.

Any more info on what to expect on the boat would be lovely. Thanks very much.

west yorks
Level Contributor
657 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day trip out

Can't comment on the boat trip to Kekova but i am also one of those who very rarely ventures off the boat!! I'm not confident in deep water so i tend just to laze on the boat reading whilst everyone else is jumping overboard!! When we did the boat trip with Yildiz last year it was so hot that i had to dangle myself from the boat steps into the sea to cool down though!! I really do wish i had the confidence to swim in open water but doubt i ever will.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
562 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day trip out

Hi Wonderar - we normally go on a private charter with friends (they organise it) and the boat moors amongst the rocks where the crew make a fire and cook fish etc for us. And they have a loo on board. I think the travel agencies in Kalkan offer trips to Kekova. (We go by minibus to Ucagiz then get the boat from there - about a 50 minute bus ride). But there are lots of boats for charter in Kalkan harbour which do trips locally.

We always go in swimwear with a cover up or t-shirt and shorts over the top. I can bear a little bit of sunbathing but spend most of my time in the shade chatting or reading. Take shoes you can remove easily as it's "bare feet" on board.

Mentioned in this post
Kalkan
Kalkan
Antalya Province, Turkey
Hertfordshire...
Level Contributor
609 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A day trip out

Right, it sounds like a possible trip to me. We will have to look into trips once we are there and see what all the agencies have to offer. We can only manage 1 week there this time so will try and get something sorted as soon as possible. Secretly quite looking forward to this boat trip as I now know we won't be the only 'wallflowers' on board!

Ipswich
Level Contributor
562 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A day trip out

Hi again Wonderar - have sent you a PM.

7. Re: A day trip out

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2012, 05:31
Get answers to your questions about Kalkan