We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No chance of a free towel then?

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
No chance of a free towel then?

Hi all - don't know if this is too late to be answered. I travelled with Anatolian Sky with my partner, and tried again the year later with Tapestry - we have now seperated and after a few years I would love to venture to my favourite part of the world again. Anatolian Sky seem to be a bit more 'exclusive' now - £1k+ for a time on my own seems rather a bit much, but the quality of their holidays are amazing. Does anyone know if a similar company offers Tapestry like holidays? I like the people, I can read, I can eat and feel relaxed, and wouldn't be out of place. I stayed in Kalkan with AS & Hisaronu with Tapestry. I noted though, (maybe me being a cheapskate) that Hisaronu & Ovacik was more expensive than eating out here in Manchester! Is it me?? Looking for advice and guidance fellow Turkey lovers. Happy 2012!

Edited: 07 January 2012, 14:11
Mentioned in this post
Kalkan
Kalkan
Antalya Province, Turkey
Hisaronu
Hisaronu
Mugla Province, Turkey
Ovacik
Ovacik
Oludeniz, Turkey
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
7,976 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No chance of a free towel then?

Just an idea.......

You could put together your own holiday!! Check out the 2 companies brochures then have a little browse on the net and see if you can't put together a cheaper but very similar package yourself.

Check out flights with websites such as flythomascook.com then look for your chosen hotels' websites and send off an enquiry or look at hotel booking sites such as hotel.com

Just an idea and you may find something better!!

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: No chance of a free towel then?

Much obliged for your reply! I have just seen something in Turunc, 14 nights all inclusive for £500! - sounds like a plan.

Thank you.

Mentioned in this post
Turunc
Turunc
Mugla Province, Turkey
Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,441 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No chance of a free towel then?

Just came home from a lunch with 2 adults and 1 child, 2 x rice, chips, boeuf bourguignon, vegetables and one quality tortelini, 1 wine,1 beer and 1 tea for 72 lira that is 25,00 GBP, so just over 8,00 GBP per person. İf Manchester is cheaper İ should come over one day! İ pay for the same kind of food and drinks in Greece or Holland the same number in Euro's.

Btw, that was in Fethiye, Hisarönü and Ovacik tend to be much cheaper.

Then to answer your question about accommodation, Tapestry was know for holidays in cottages. İs that what you are looking for? Or would you like to stay in a boutique hotel? İn a town or more in nature? For both options are about endless. There is Exclusive Escapes, but they are also more high end, İ also recommend to book diy, if you can be more specific what you like in your environment then İ bet more possibilities will pop up.

To mention just a few here now (small boutique hotels where you don't get lost)

Blue Oyster in Ölüdeniz

Yacht Plaza in Fethiye

Hideaway in Kas

Wassermühle in Faralya (gorgeous but a bit away from everything!)

Hope this helps a bit!

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Greece
Greece
Europe
Fethiye
Fethiye
Mugla Province, Turkey
Ovacik
Ovacik
Oludeniz, Turkey
Kas
Kas
Antalya Province, Turkey
rotherham
Level Contributor
3,788 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No chance of a free towel then?

Turunc is a lovely place but don't think i would choose alinclusive there are some lovely resteraunts to eat in its only a very small resort you would fell very comfortable as a lone traveler there...I don't think the alinclusives are up to much there...

WENDY

Mentioned in this post
Turunc
Turunc
Mugla Province, Turkey
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: No chance of a free towel then?

Wendy - thank you for your reply. Nice to know someone has experience of the area.

I think having a kitchen, a restaurant, a bar close by some lovely people - sounds like a New Years Resolution I am going to carry out.

Not booking anything today! Going to spend this afternoon with the Guardian small ads and see what happens.

Your advice is greatly appreciated.

David.

Greater Manchester...
Level Contributor
65 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No chance of a free towel then?

Hi June

We 'did it ourselves' last year, very easy.

Just check A1 Travel on website - find flight that suits - we are based in Manchester also - then actually book over the telephone I always think its best with flights to speak to someone, no card charges with them.

We stayed at the Meldi Hotel - just check the reviews - it would be perfect for single traveller - and they do free transfers from Dalaman Airport, this we booked by e-mail - their reception is just great and very helpful.

We had one of the best holidays ever at the Meldi.

Mentioned in this post
Manchester
Manchester
Greater Manchester, UK
Meldi Hotel
Meldi Hotel
185 Reviews
Kalkan, Turkey
Dalaman Airport
Dalaman Airport
Dalaman, Turkey
Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No chance of a free towel then?

Hi David

DEFINITELY consider DIY and go to the Meldi (ex Tapestry hotel) www.meldihotel.com - as a single traveller you will have a great time there - guests and staff so welcoming (I should know as I spend much time there as a singleton too!).

Enjoy!

Felicity

London, United...
Level Contributor
94 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No chance of a free towel then?

Many of the hotels in Kalkan which were previously available through Tapestry are now marketed by the Discerning Collection - www.discerningcollection.com

We went to the Asfiya Hotel in Kalkan in 2009 via Tapestry, and have just booked the same hotel for this summer via Discerning. Reading on various forums I think that Tapestry was sold to a larger concern in 2010 but that Discerning Collection is run by the original Tapestry owners (same address and phone number as Tapestry used to have).

Peter

Edited: 11 January 2012, 13:24
Mentioned in this post
Kalkan
Kalkan
Antalya Province, Turkey
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No chance of a free towel then?

Amazing, an thank you!!!!

VERY MUCH!!!

Ipswich
Level Contributor
558 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No chance of a free towel then?

I would also say DIY and stay at the Meldi if you want to go to Kalkan. Turunc is very pretty, as are lots of other places in Turkey, but Kalkan is still a big favourite with us (after 14 visits there!).

Mentioned in this post
Kalkan
Kalkan
Antalya Province, Turkey
Turunc
Turunc
Mugla Province, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Get answers to your questions about Kalkan
Recent Conversations