We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dogs

milton keynes
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
dogs

Hi all, i know this question has been asked before - but how bad is the stray dog situation in Kalkan??

Have been looking at Kalkan for a year or 2, now in a position to visit without kids, but am worried about stray dogs ruining the holiday. Neither husband or I are dog lovers (sorry!) and really dont relish the thought of walking past packs of scary dogs night after night - dont fancy the barking either, but it's the fact that they are roaming around I find more disturbing. Honest opinions please - would you say the situation is bad enough to potentially spoil a holiday?? Is Kas a good/similer alternative to Kalkan?

Many thanks

Chester, United...
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
2,872 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: dogs

Kalkan is no different from anywhere else you may stay in Turkey.There are always dogs & cats around,but they are always friendly in my experience.In fact we will see the same dogs & cats year after year.If you don't like them & give no encouragement they will leave you be.If you don't like them around in restaurants etc.the staff will usually shush them away.They certainly aren't scary.

congleton, United...
Level Contributor
753 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dogs

Totally agree with turk0file, there are dogs but unlike other resorts these dogs are well fed and looked after , hence they normally do not pester, I have seen one get a bit 'defensive' when someone tried to shoo it away quite literally (with his boot!)

Most of them seem to sleep 24/7

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: dogs

Lets not get rose tinted specs here - yes there are lots of dogs and cats as in every town in Turkey and in the main they are well behaved and well looked after - they certainly DO NOT bother me at all and many many other people but I do know that they do bother some people and in some parts of town the incessant barking keeps people awake (again difficult to say where because they do tend to move around)....so in balance - I dont think you should be put off by coming to kalkan because of the dogs but equally dont think it will be dog free...however although they roam around - they are generally friendly/non agressive and will simply ignore you if you ignore them and particularly in the summer when they are half asleep!!!

milton keynes
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dogs

Thanks for all the replies - I do feel slightly more reassured! We're looking at staying at the Asfiya Hotel - I dont know if this is in the 'noisy barking' area or along the road where i've read that they congregate? Really dont want to be put off going to Kalkan, but equally feel it's best to be aware of potential downsides.

Many thanks

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: dogs

I would say that you should be OK (but a qualified should!!) in the area of Asfiya - the dogs on the Kalamar road tend to congregate further along towards Kalamar - that said - they do move around - which is why I qualified my statement!!

Really - dont be put off by the dogs - Kalkan will MORE than make up for any possible problems with dogs and you will be bitten by the Kalkan bug - just like everybody else!!

Enjoy your visit!!

west yorks
Level Contributor
657 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dogs

Hi angiebabe, as FAED says you should be fine regarding the dogs staying at the Asfiya, we've stayed at the Lizo which is on Kalamar rd and we've never had a problm with the barking. I always sleep like a log although the rakis help with that!! Please don't be put off by the dogs, most of them like FAED says are asleep anyway because of the heat!!

Kalkan is a beautiful place and i'm sure like most of us you'll get bitten by th bug!

milton keynes
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dogs

Hi all - have taken on board your messages and have booked the Asfiya for september! Many thanks for all the replies - husband and I do feel very re-assured.

xx

Scotland
Level Contributor
2 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dogs

How did you get on in the Asfyia - just read your post and came back from Kalkan last weekend. The dogs did keep us awake and we were in a villa on the Kalamar Road. The stray ones are not just the problem the ones where owners have them are just as bad as the owners seem to ignore their barking hoping to put of burglars - why they don't buy a burglar alarm beats me. They kept us awake almost every morning beetween 5-7.00 and often in the early hours of the morning when someone must have disturbed them when coming home! Kalkan is amazing and we loved it but dont think we want to put up with a problem which Kalkan can obviously not resolve even for their tourists.

Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
201 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: dogs

I stay in a villa at the old town end of the Kalamar Rd and never have a problem with barking dogs. I would say that you were just unlucky SAL1.

Kalkan, Turkey
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: dogs

Hi we're on a glorious holiday now came on Monday.

I cannot comment on the noise from the dogs as we are in a villa out of town but the dogs in the town are no problem at all they wander around and don't bother you at all I haven't seen one yet that's intimidating they all seem really friendly and I haven't seen one bit of dog mess anywhere which puts Britain to shame. I asked a local waiter about them last night and was told that the mayor likes dogs so they are controlled given all there injections and fed every day.

K

Get answers to your questions about Kalkan
Recent Conversations