We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dogs

Which Kalkan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
milton keynes
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
dogs

Hi all, i know this question has been asked before - but how bad is the stray dog situation in Kalkan??

Have been looking at Kalkan for a year or 2, now in a position to visit without kids, but am worried about stray dogs ruining the holiday. Neither husband or I are dog lovers (sorry!) and really dont relish the thought of walking past packs of scary dogs night after night - dont fancy the barking either, but it's the fact that they are roaming around I find more disturbing. Honest opinions please - would you say the situation is bad enough to potentially spoil a holiday?? Is Kas a good/similer alternative to Kalkan?

Many thanks

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
52 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: dogs

The fact that the street dogs are healthy and happy is due to the work of the animal charity KAPSA.

west yorks
Level Contributor
646 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: dogs

Have to agree with last post. Kapsa do an excellent job of caring for the street animals, you will see yellow tags in the ears of some animals which means they have been neutered by Kapsa.

Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
201 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: dogs

The cats will have a nick in their ear to denote that they have been neutered. With the dogs I did notice some with infected areas around their tags because the tags are quite large and quite heavy but this year the regulation 'villa dog' (every villa must have one on duty somewhere :D) had more like a stud than a tag in its ear. Is this the newer version I wonder? But back to the topic, the dogs of Kalkan are better cared for than elsewhere in tourist Turkey because of the brilliant, and often sadly maligned, work of the Kalkan Association for the Protection of Street Animals (KAPSA) as previously mentioned. They have a trap, neuter, release programme plus a winter feeding programme and try their best to home stray dogs (and cats) with caring families. You will still find dogs roaming in a way that you don't experience in the UK, but by and large they are a daft and friendly bunch and you have nothing to fear from them.

Southport, United...
Level Contributor
2,159 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: dogs

For anyone interested in the plight of all the stray animals here is a petition posted on another forum. Please all sign it , thanks.

https:/…

isle of wight
Level Contributor
324 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: dogs

I loved the dog that turned up at our villa, she was a beautiful little thing.. On the odd days we didnt see her the kids were worried sick!

If I could have brought her back I would have.

But I know she is well looked after, speaking to people who are out there a lot of the time.

I understand people who have a fear of dogs,my Mother in law being one of them! I really think you are worrying about nothing ...

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,042 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: dogs

Again here İ would like to get your attention for the horrible plan that lies on the Turkish government table to be approved of. The plan is to create death camps for the stray animals, they will make these camps high up somewhere in the mountains. The dogs have been around for so long and have not harmed anybody. İ am sorry to say but these kind of complaint might convince to go ahead with these horrid plans. İ go to Kalkan ever so often during the winter and all you see is some dogs sleeping enjoying the sun, they are never a nuisance, like anywhere else in Turkey.

Do sign the petition as mentioned above in post 14!!!

Edited: 15 October 2012, 05:53
London
Level Contributor
249 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: dogs

Rose tinted glasses I'm fear.......never hurt anyone ? I can think of 4 cases where a person / child has been bitten by a dog in Kalkan. i have been pinned up against a wall by 6/7 snarling dogs, very scary indeed. I agree that they should be removed from the streets and looked after away from Kalkan or any other holiday resort. Trust me its all a bit different during the winter when the dogs pack and cause a lot of distress to a lot of people.

It's been said in the past, but I will say it again......someone is going to get really hurt unless something is done to remove these street dogs from the streets, I am not looking to upset anyone just my view !

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,042 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: dogs

Well, İ live in Turkey for so long now, not only been in Kalkan, but İ am in Fethiye not too far from Kalkan. There are stray dogs as well there do not worry they are all brought to Kalkan for a summers holiday. İ do not fear the dogs ever and İ encourage my child to be neither. And İ am happy to say she is not.

İt is not in a dogs nature to be aggressive if they have no territory to protect and as it has been said so many times, it is not the dog it is its owner :-)

Andalucia, Spain
Level Contributor
201 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: dogs

"Looked after away from Kalkan" onelove? What a quaint euphemism. Presumably actually seeing them summarily despatched on the streets would offend your sensibilities so best to usher them into vehicles and transport them to where their subsequent treatment can be ignored by happy tourists eh? There are incidents involving dogs in my local park every day of the week and no one has yet suggested that they should be rounded up and shipped to a place away from sentimental eyes where they can be allowed to succumb to disease and starvation. The measures proposed by the Turkish govt are ill thought out and the equivalent of brushing the problem under the carpet - except that in this case we are speaking of living creatures and not a bit of casual grime.

west yorks
Level Contributor
646 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: dogs

Have to agree Suadela, could be a case of ' out of sight out of mind'. The dogs don't ask to be dumped on the streets so why should they punished for their owners mistakes. The reason we love Kalkan and Fethiye is because the animals you see on the streets are on the whole a daft, friendly bunch and it's good to see they have charities in both resorts that do their best to keep them happy and healthy. Do we honestly believe that once these dogs are driven high into the mountains that the Government will employ people to go and feed them? They will be left to their own devices and will turn wild and die a horrible slow death from disease or hunger. Even Turkish people can see these proposed plans are cruel. Please, if you care about animals sign the petition.

Get answers to your questions about Kalkan
Recent Conversations