We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dogs

milton keynes
Level Contributor
20 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
dogs

Hi all, i know this question has been asked before - but how bad is the stray dog situation in Kalkan??

Have been looking at Kalkan for a year or 2, now in a position to visit without kids, but am worried about stray dogs ruining the holiday. Neither husband or I are dog lovers (sorry!) and really dont relish the thought of walking past packs of scary dogs night after night - dont fancy the barking either, but it's the fact that they are roaming around I find more disturbing. Honest opinions please - would you say the situation is bad enough to potentially spoil a holiday?? Is Kas a good/similer alternative to Kalkan?

Many thanks

merseyside
Level Contributor
350 posts
257 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: dogs

We stayed in Kalkan recently for 2 wks and the strays didnt bother us at all, as stated previously they mostly just lay around in the street, didnt see any vicious dogs at all. As far as barking goes, we stayed near to Meydan Adana so very close to the old town and heard barking once at night for a short period. We were woken more by a cockerel every morning (very early indeed), but wouldnt dream of rounding them all up! We were also woken up on our first morning by an earthquake but that wouldnt prevent us from staying in Kalkan again. I am against the government proposals, especially as KAPSA does a brilliant job, and, have signed a petition stating so. As far as strays are concerned the only place I wouldnt return to is Halkidiki in Greece, the animals were skin and bone, and, the locals mis-treated them very much indeed.

scotland
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: dogs

Can only endorse the excellent work that KAPSA do for all the street animals and also they do a lot of work for local people who may be in need. I've been visiting Kalkan for 16 years and never witnessed any problem with the animals. The current government proposals are nothing short of barbaric and will set the reputation of Turkey back years!

west yorks
Level Contributor
657 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: dogs

Have to agree coolpool, if this goes ahead it could have a big impact on tourism in Turkey.

barrow-in-furness
Level Contributor
250 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: dogs

Most of the dogs are very tame, and as for the others...if you leave them alone then they will do the same. The street dogs are faves of mine. Very well cared for too. Visitors can donate to KAPSA who do amazing things for street dogs and cats and really look after them.

Edited: 15 October 2012, 18:39
barrow-in-furness
Level Contributor
250 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: dogs

we have never had any problems with the dogs, they very rarely move around in packs. kapsa is a kalkan charity which spay and treat animals. these dogs make my holiday and I do feed them when I see them.

scotland
Level Contributor
4,132 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: dogs

Heartbreaking news..Petition signed.I and friends are supporting street dogs in Bulgaria and have raised money to help them with re-homing.

I really pray that the government wont proceed with this plan.. Barbaric

west yorks
Level Contributor
657 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: dogs

Has anybody heard if there is any recent news on the Governments barbaric plan for the street dogs? We go back in Sep and i'm really hoping to see all the usual 'canine faces' on the streets.

England
Level Contributor
395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: dogs

I would suggest you contact KAPSA the charity for street animals in Kalkan, they will know more.

England
Level Contributor
395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
29. Re: dogs

http://www.kapsaonline.com/

This is the link to their website

west yorks
Level Contributor
657 posts
197 reviews