We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

Which Kalkan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Southam...
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

Hi,

I'd like to visit Kalkan in August 2013 and have some questions. I've been to OluDeniz in Lykia World hotel a few years ago and got a terrible stomach bug on the plane home. I've had a lot of suspicions about Turkey ever since then.

Me and my family are more a kind of quality not quantity. We'd rather go to an expensive restaurant and bar to get quality food and drink rather than an eat as much as you want kind of thing.

Basically, we prefer classier resorts. Is Kalkan this?

What are the restaurants like? All Turkish? Multi-cuisine? Cheap? Expensive?

Also, what is the beach like? Pebbly? Sandy?

Watersports?

Is there a large supermarket in Kalkan or a 10 min drive away?

Sorry for all the questions but as I mentioned about Olu Deniz I'd rather not risk it!!

Thanks

Will

congleton, United...
Level Contributor
735 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

Vast choice of excellent restaurants good selection of Turkish and Multi-cuisine cheap/expensive depend what you compare to, not the cheapest place in Turkey but IMO very good value for money, There are now several supermarkets in town (so there is competition) with chains like Bim 101 even a Kippa (Tesco)

The town beach is pebbly but Patara and Kapatus are within easy reach if it's the perfect beach you want. There are several 'beach clubs' in Kalkan these tend to be bathing platforms and each is different. some like Kalamar Bay Beach club have watersports, diving school etc.

I did a virtual tour Nov 2011 that can be seen here:

gyrapix.co.uk/360/…Gyrapix_Project14.html

The UK press regularly feature Kalkan as the jewel in the crown of Turkey’s beautiful south western coastline. Here is a taste of what they have to say…

The Guardian

“Kalkan is like the Italian Riviera minus the poseurs. A few miles away is Patara beach, a spectacular 18km stretch of golden sand consistently voted one of the best beaches in the world. At night, Kalkan is prettier still – candle-lit roof-terrace restaurants look out across the glowing white dome of the mosque and the tiny harbour full of gulets. Kalkan is a little oasis of sophistication.”

Evening Standard

“Kalkan is a bougainvillea-covered harbour village only 20 minutes’ drive from Patara with cobbled, winding streets, chic boutiques and seafood restaurants.”

The Sunday Times

“Turkey’s Lycian coast has turquoise seas, white-sand beaches and spectacular Roman ruins. Kalkan is the most attractive town on the southwest coast. Its narrow, sloping alleyways, filled with elegant shops and bars, lead down to the harbour, where you’ll find good fish restaurants and regular boat trips to nearby Kaputas Beach. Patara is just a 20-minute drive away.”

The Daily Telegraph

“This Lycian coastline is truly spectacular. Rugged cliffs of pine forests plunge into turquoise sea. Between them are small bays of sand and shingle accessible only by boat. Kalkan, with its pretty harbour setting, has retained much of its character.”

Sunday Times Travel Magazine

“The road from Antalya along the coast past Finike and Kas to Kalkan has to be one of the most beautiful & uncluttered in the world. Kalkan is a sweetly sited harbour, in a natural bay.”

Woman

“As promised in the brochure, Kalkan is authentic, undiscovered Turkey – a buzzing little market village which really welcomes tourists. We found the local people generous, charming and honest. Kalkan has shops and restaurants and a village feel and comes alive at night. We ate local food – it seems as if there are 600 ways to cook an aubergine and the fish was so fresh it melted in the mouth.”

Many people who never go back to the same place on holiday return year after year once they have found Kalkan, some like us, like it so much we end up buying a place.

England
Level Contributor
395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

No, see above. :)

Lancashire
Level Contributor
573 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

It is beautiful and upmarket and eating out can be as expensive or cheap as you want it to be. There are inexpensive Turkish eating places through to places that deliver food, views and an ambiance that wouldn't be out of place in European city restaurants.

It's so unlike OluDeniz that you could be in a different country and to be all inclusive in Kalkan would be the worst form of torture, which is why there are only one or two AI hotels in the whole area. People book their own flights and the majority of accomodation is privately owned apartments and villas (I recommend ownersdirect or hollidaylettings), the majority of whom will book book your airport transfers for you.

Beware Kalkan is very addictive.

congleton, United...
Level Contributor
735 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

loveretirement love the 'all inclusive in Kalkan would be the worst form of torture' so so true!

WilliamS just noticed that you were looking at Aug.. Aug is very popular and sells out fast, our villa was booked for Aug 2013 over a year in advance with repeat bookings, that's how addictive the place is.

Southam...
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

Hi thanks for the replies so far very informative! Could someone tell me where the nicer upmarket areas of Kalkan are? Eg. Not in the dumps of things!!

Are supermarkets good quality and clean? Sometimes turkey can seem quite a dirty place? Am i wrong??

Thanks again

Will

Chester, United...
Destination Expert
for Dalyan
Level Contributor
2,623 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

You are so wrong.I have often heard people say Turkey is dirty but when you check they have never been.Shops in Turkey are very clean and the larger ones have a wide choice Lastly I don't think you could describe anywhere in Kalkan as a dump.It is not a large resort and can be easily walked around,if you don't mind steep hills.Villas tend to be up the hillside so you need to be fit to get to and from them.Lots of hotels are closer to the village so are easier to walk to.

congleton, United...
Level Contributor
735 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

don't know of any 'dumps' some areas suit some people more than others etc. the best views possibly require mountain goat walking capabilities, many areas require a taxi home due to steep hills etc. it all depends on your fitness what your likes dislikes are etc. As a family including 2 lads (now 18 and 20) my wife and myself 54 20st and not very fit! we like where we purchased, along the Kalamar Rd near Cafe Vita, the walk to and from the top of the old town is relatively easy (one steep bit by the Elixir Hotel but it is thankfully short!) we walk to and from town most nights but after a particularly heavy session down in the harbour have resorted to a taxi (my call, the rest wanted to walk!)

good resources for info are

http://kalkan.turkishlocalnews.com

and

http://www.enjoykalkan.com/

' Sometimes turkey can seem quite a dirty place? Am i wrong??' YES you are wrong, possibly depends where you go but in 25 yrs visiting various parts of Turkey I would say that it is as clean if not cleaner than everywhere else I have been, including London, Paris, New York etc. the supermarkets in Kalkan are not vast hypermarkets but are air conditioned have a vast array of international names and are spotless.

Edited: 02 January 2013, 21:11
Southam...
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

The villa I am looking to rent is near Vilalar if you look on Google maps... Is this a long walk and is it steep?

Thank you

congleton, United...
Level Contributor
735 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

Found it.. Vilalar is about 90m above sea level, for reference the petrol station on the D400 is approx 130m above sea level, many villas are above the D400.. some at over 300m above sea level (great views! and a few degrees cooler)

if you find it on google earth you can check the elevations, I would guess at 15 mins to the top of the old town (taxi rank area) short steep route of longer not so steep option available. Not sure how well lit or paved the roads are (fairly new area)

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,008 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Kalkan very much a cheap resort (Benidorm?)

William, Kalkan is a very small harbor town. İt is pretty hilly (steep!) and the nicest closest beaches are out of town. There is Kaputas beach (a cove over 180 steps down) and Patara beach, a 14 kilometers long sandy beach.

Kalkan is compared to other places more expensive (but for exactly the same items!)

The fact that you caught a bug in the past is of course something you cannot easy forget, but İ do not think it is related to Ölüdeniz, you can catch a bug anywhere in the summer while temperatures are high. İ do agree that all inclusive is a bit more risky, but there is much more to Ölüdeniz than only Lykia World.

İf you like to do some big shopping, you can stop on your way to Kalkan in Fethiye, there is a big Migros and a Kipa, it is only one more hour to Kalkan from Fethiye. There is a risk you might like Fethiye a lot, and regret you did not book there... rumors are that Daniel Craig liked shooting James Bond in Fethiye so mıuch that he returns for a holiday :-)

And having said that Armani has been spotted on the Ölüdeniz beach, a beach that has been so many times voted in as the best beach of Turkey and amongst top 10 of the world.

Hope this helps!

Get answers to your questions about Kalkan