We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Supermarket Alcohol

Which Kalkan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Supermarket Alcohol

Hi

We are a group of 9 people, visiting Kalkan for the first time this August.

Can anybody tell me what sort of Beer and Wine the local supermarkets stock.

Is it all local stuff, or do they have imported beers and wines too.

Any recommendations would be appreciated if it is just local stuff.

Many thanks.

England
Level Contributor
395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Supermarket Alcohol

Alcohol is expensive, even in the Supermarkets. Best bet is to buy your booze at Dalaman before you leave the Arrival s Hall... you can browse whilst waiting for your luggage.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,587 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Supermarket Alcohol

You can get Turkish Beer Efes in the supermarket, they also sell imported beers which are more expensive.

There are Turkish wines, some are fine and we have found a few we really like. The imported wines are also in the supermarket,s but, again, they are not cheap.

London, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Supermarket Alcohol

what sort of price are we talking? £10 a bottle? £20?

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,587 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Supermarket Alcohol

Ten pound is about average for a bottle of Turkish wine. We have seen it from 8 lira up to about 35 lira per bottle. It's always from about 25 lira per bottle in Restaurants. Efes is about 4 lira a bottle. in supermarkets, maybe 3.50tl. In bars around 6 lira up to 8 lira a bottle.

Bedford, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Supermarket Alcohol

Really.....??

I am surprised to find that alcohol is expensive there.

I was led to believe that Turkey was relatively cheap in comparison to the Euro zone countries.

It's one of the main reasons we chose it !!

We have always done self catering holidays, so were hoping to find food and drink in the supermarkets to be very reasonable.

England
Level Contributor
395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Supermarket Alcohol

Turkey is predominantly a Muslim Country that is one of the main reasons alcohol is so expensive. Now the fruit and vegetables are varied, organic, cheap and delicious.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Supermarket Alcohol

One of the most popular wines in Turkey is Angora, available in red and white. You can buy it in most supermarkets in town at around 13/14 lira per bottle - so approx £5.50 - not expensive. Yali supermarket quite often has wine on offer for 8 lira (£3) a bottle. Restaurants prices range from 25/30 lira upwards (£9/10). You'd be hard pushed to find a bottle of wine in any restaurant in the Uk for this. As has been said previously best to spirits with you. Most UK airport duty free shops sell 2 litres for £22. Imported drinks are expensive in Turkey. You can buy upon arrival on Dalaman however we have always found Dalaman duty free more expensive than UK duty free. A large beer (500cl) in bar/restaurant ranges from 6 - 9 lira depending on where you are. Again £2-3 so less than you'd pay at home in a pub. Believe me when you're sitting overlooking that bay, the cost of your chosen drink will be the last thing on your mind. Have a wonderful holiday.

Ipswich
Level Contributor
535 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Supermarket Alcohol

Alcohol and petrol are both very expensive in Turkey - in fact I think petrol may be more expensive than in the UK. You can get cheaper alcohol in supermarkets, and local versions of various spirits/liqueurs. Efes lager is sold widely but imported beers/lagers will be expensive. We have self catered in the past - local fruit and veg is always cheap but most other food we found to be around the same price as the UK. If you like specific UK brands you may find them if you hunt around, but they will be dearer than here. And of course you won't be able to get bacon, ham and pork products.

London
Level Contributor
249 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Supermarket Alcohol

You can buy All pork products you want at Can Can supermarket on the Kalamar Road.

£2.50 for a pint in a pub is cheap to me, as is £10 for a bottle of wine in a fantastic restaurant or any restaurant for that matter.

You can def find cheaper resorts in Turkey than Kalkan, but you won't get Kalkan !!! If you are looking for cheap beers, happy hours etc you won't find it in Kalan. HOpe you have a fantastic time in Kalkan.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,587 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Supermarket Alcohol

<<<<<,And of course you won't be able to get bacon, ham and pork products.>>>>>>

I don't know about Kalkan, but Pork, Bacon, Ham are all available in the Fethiye area. There are two pork shops one in Fethiye one in Calis beach they sell Danish Bacon. pork sausages, ham, etc., Migros supermarket in Fethiye sells bacon and I know there is a branch of Migros in Kalkan. Although I have to say the Migros Bacon is not very good it's more like the stuff you get in America, which is called Canadian Bacon.

Also many restaurants do an "English Breakfast" which consists, in part, of bacon.

Get answers to your questions about Kalkan
Recent Conversations