We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time Trip report to Kalkan

Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
590 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
First time Trip report to Kalkan

Just returned from a fabulous 2 weeks in Kalkan so I thought I would share some info that may help people who have never visited before........

Transfer from Dalaman Airport..........decided to hire a care from Economy rentals for 2 weeks @ £320 as hubby is a very competent driver. Very interesting driving in a strange Country, on the wrong side of the road in the pitch black but we got there; quite a straight forward run but took us 2 hours. Turkish drivers change lanes for no reason so to overtake just put your foot down and flash so they know you are there.

Apartments......we stayed at the Elvina apartments which are lovely but without a car you would struggle to walk up all those hills (one of the reasons we decided to have a car)

Supermarkets......Yali on the main road and Kipa at the roundabout did us just fine as we don't tend to cook. Yali much bigger but for some reason hubby preferred Tesco (Kipa) - think he wanted to use his club card !!

Patara Beach (Dolmus leaves the roundabout nr. Kipa every day)......lovely sandy beach with a nice breeze, very shallow for a long way out. First week the sea was relatively calm but the 2nd week the waves were enormous which for a non swimmer like me was a bit scary. 5TL per person enter (includes ruins); 5TL per sunbed and 5TL per umbrella; total for our family of 3 less than £15 (a bargain !) You can buy mulitple entrance tickets which work out really cheap (think we paid 15 TL for 10 entrances which for a family of three worked out 3 visits). Very nice Cafe with eveything you would want, burgers, kebabs, brekkie, pancakes, drinks and ice creams; plus toilets and showers. If you decide to visit the ampitheatre walk up the path to the right. It will bring you to a tunnel; walk through and you are literally in the middle of the ruins;great photo opportunity, we had it all to ourselves as most people thought you couldn't go in.

Kaputas Beach.......another lovely beach but down and up 180 steps so not for the less abled bodied. No sunbeds but you can hire large umbrellas for 5TL (we hired 2). Can buy pancakes, drinks and ice creams only. No toilet (don't think about it) and for 1TL you can have the sand and sea water hosed off you. Take provisions with you like frozen water bottles and snacks.

Again the sea was calm the first week but OMG the 2nd week the rollers were crashing in. Nice sandy beach but rocky at entrance to the water so I wore my flip flops.

The sand on both beaches reached burning feet status so you really need adequate footwear.

Beach Clubs......only went to Kalamar which was extremely well organised. We got there at 10am and all the best sunbeds were occupied so i would suggest going about 9am to bag a good one. We went in the car as it is near the Elvina but I believe you can ring them and they will pick you up. Charged 30 TL for 3 sunbeds and a massive umbrella and then you have to pay for your food etc. Free use of the pedlo, trampoline and canoe but you can pay for the Banana and a couple of other things. Nice breeze and the only time in 2 weeks I could sunbathe wthout feeling like i was burning on a spit roast.

Market Day.....on a Thursday. We have a teenage daughter so you can imagine her delight at seeing all the Superdry, Hollister, Vans and Toms (many more but not up with all the names LOL)

Pressies for daughters friends which made a change from the usual bracelets.Branded Hoodies for 30TL, Vans for 35TL and branded t shirts for 4 for 25TL. Lovely Turkish Delight for 15TL 2 mixed boxes of your choice (not airport stuff that looks like it has been in a box for 2 years.

6 DVD's for 20 TL ..... suggest you buy one week and then have a movie night and a takeaway for a change; Hunkers for kebabs, Passport Pizzas or Cafe Vita all do take away and deliver.

Boat Trips.........I booked Yildiz3 before I left the UK (50TL per person). Lovely trip, fabulous food and the most lovely people. We tried to book another boat trip for the 2nd week and they were all full so suggest you get to the harbour very early on in your holiday to book your trips. One couple on our boat had been on the Yildiz3 3 times during their holiday so book early. Quite difficult to book online as they are out on trips all day and then they do a moonlight trip 30 minutes after you get off the boat. I ended up emailing Captain Osman....his brother Adem, wife and 2 children looked after us very well. Lovely comfy sun beds and the best food I have ever had on a boat trip.

Trips......we never did any organised trips as we had the car and we like our independence; we drove to Sakiklent Gorge (entrance 5 TL p.p). You can hire rubber shoes there, or buy plastic ones for 10TL but my recommendation would be to buy proper beach shoes (less than a tenner from Amazon). These will do you for the hot sand on the beach, entry into rocky or pebbly beaches and walking the very pepply gorge.It took us just over 2 hours to walk to the waterfall and back. You have to be fairly fit as you have to clamber over rocks. We hired a lovely guide for 40TL called Tariq; without him I would have turned back. Lovely restaurants to relax in by the river after all that exertion. A lot of people were rafting (single dingies) down the river. We didn't do it as i have had an operation on my back. Spoke to a lovely family we met and the husband had a massive bruise due to landing on a rock on the river so on reflection glad i didn't attempt it. The whole family loved it though so don't be put off. We then drove to the Tlos ruins; by far the best in the area. Patara were good but Letoon and Xantha not so. I wanted to go to Tlos Yakapark (to tickle a trout Lol) but the WiFi is very poor in Kalkan and i wouldn't get online to check. Was gutted to find it is only 2 km on from Tlos.....we even drove past Tlos and decided to come back as the map did not show a decent route. The Toros Mountain range is stunning.

Drove to Kas in the day and the night. We loved Kas, what a fab little town it is. More than 40 boats doing trips, some nice little shops and restaurants and very cosmopoltian as opposed to Kalkan which is very British. Walking along the front and I said to my hubby, I wonder if Captain Ergun ( he posted on one of my questions re. our holiday) is here and low and behold he was at the harbour and what a lovely young man he is. I was expecting a grizzly fisherman and I got a lovely young handsome man with a lovely boat !

Went to Fethiye Market and lunch on the front (very nice front at Fethiye) saw a turtle and then drove to Olu Deniz. Heard so much about Olu and yes it was nice but not as nice as Kalkan. Had a lovely meal and the best cocktail of the holiday at Help Bar on the front.

Drove to Gombe and the green lake. Not much in Gombe but the road trip was great, lovely scenery and the green lake is stunning; just needed a change from lying in the sun but Gombe is a bit if a hick town.....still glad we went though (not so teenage daughter).

My daughters best day of the week was Kalkan market, followed by lunch in Fener Cafe on the front (I recommend the prawn rolls) and back for an afternoon by the pool and the hope of the WiFi working so she could Factime her friends.

Tried to get to Ishmalar twice, once over a very rocky road so we went back and then again after the road had been tarmaced but the hire car was covered in tarmac after about 10 mins so again we turned back.

Restaurants......I won't go on about the restaurants as so much has been said. What I will say is that you will get a decent meal wherever you go. I feel so sorry for the restaurant owners who are so concerned about the reviews. Because the WiFi was poor where we were staying I only once looked at TA and chose the top restaurant Sade. Yes it was nice but not as nice as Agora (lovely surf and turf), the only place we ate twice. Ata on the main road was fabulous, lovely comp bread, the best chips we had all of the 2 weeks and only 96 TL for the 3 of us, what a bargain. Ate at Touch Bistro (lovely pasta), Cafe Vita (lovely shrimp casserole). Zula (lovely lamb shank), Rami's (lovely stuffed chicken and lovely staff) and many more. We personally preferred the roof top restaurants rather then the harbourside ones although we went almost every night to the front for a cocktail to Coast, Aubergine, Jimmys etc. we also liked Moonlight Bar. Olive Garden, Cafe Leon or Cafe Ev for brekkie. We did venture to Adams place on the main road. Hubby and daughter not impressed (she had 5 chips on her plate!) but my lamb shank was superb, came alight to the table and was up there as one of my fave meals. I think they do tradtional Turkish food very well so go there if that's what you want.Not once did we feel harrassed by the greeters, Just have a laugh with them, honestly they are just doing their job.

Meals for 3 cost anywhere between 96TL and 180TL depending on where we ate and what we had. The only thing I couldn't find was a decent bakery. When we go to greece we always but stuff for the bach at the bakery but couldn't find one - this there is a business opportunity there !

To recap I would suggest this itinerary........

Patara beach

Beach Club

Boat trip

Kaptuas beach

Market and pool day

Trip

And repeat the following week what you liked the most.

Decided on the way back to the airport to go to Fethiye for a Maccy D's and a walk on the front.

Car Hire was really easy. Someone hit the car when we were at Kalamar beach club and the guy was fine about it as we had full insurance (he did try to wangle my hubby's F1 Kimi Raikkonen t shirt from his back).........Just meet at the garage just outside the airport to fill up (hubby already did this on the D400)......they will follow you and get the keys off you. Would defo use them again.

Dalamar Airport is the biggest rip off I have ever encountered........can of fanta in a Kalkan supermaket; 1TL. In Dalaman airport 12 TL.

All in all a good holiday; hope this helps someone..........ask any questions and i will try and help.

Mentioned in this post
Patara
Patara
Antalya Province, Turkey
Kas
Kas
Antalya Province, Turkey
Gombe
Gombe
Antalya Province, Turkey
Fener Cafe
Fener Cafe
11 Reviews
Kalkan, Turkey
Touch Bistro Kalkan
Touch Bistro Kalkan
105 Reviews
Kalkan, Turkey
Aubergine
Aubergine
798 Reviews
Kalkan, Turkey
Moonlight Bar
Moonlight Bar
57 Reviews
Kalkan, Turkey
Olive Garden
Olive Garden
734 Reviews
Kalkan, Turkey
Cafe Leon
Cafe Leon
385 Reviews
Kalkan, Turkey
Cafe Ev
Cafe Ev
72 Reviews
Kalkan, Turkey
Waltham Abbey...
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: First time Trip report to Kalkan

Going to kalkan in a few days, fab review, will definitely visit patara and find capain Osman for a boat trip. Thanks for taking the time to leave all this info.

Greenock, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: First time Trip report to Kalkan

Cracking review Anna, have only been to Kalkan twice, last year and July this year, we did much the same as you and your family and absolutley loved every miniute of it, I'm sure what you have written will be enjoyed by people visiting Kalkan for the first time and the regular visitors, I have no doubts that you and your family will return and I look forward to your next review, on a slightly serious note about the dogs, some deranged individual is poisoning the dogs around the town, several dead in the last couple of weeks, read Kalkan local Turkish News (KTLN) for more on that story.

Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
590 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: First time Trip report to Kalkan

Re. The dogs has really upset me. Why would someone poison the dogs ? probably someone with a misplaced idea that holidaymakers would prefer it if there were no stray dogs but we loved them. They were no trouble to anyone. The only time we saw any interaction with a holidaymaker was when we were sat at Coast Bar and a man was trying to make a booking for the following night.

A dog came along and started jumping up at the straps of his rucksack and the more he tried to stop the dog the higher he jumped as the dog thought it was a game. Dogs like to play, it was hilarious and the man found the funny side but the dog followed him all down the front trying to get his rucksack straps....they just want some positive attention and T L C :)

Kalkan
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: First time Trip report to Kalkan

Thanks for such a great report - so well balanced, not over the top, just lovely and positive. Great to hear you liked the dogs - they definitely add a dimension to our time in Kalkan, whether summer or winter. They are lovely. Glad you enjoyed Kalkan and hope you go back! Thanks again.

west yorks
Level Contributor
657 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: First time Trip report to Kalkan

We also love to see the cats and dogs and we donate monthly to Kapsa as they do such a good job under difficult circumstances. There was a spate of dogs being poisoned last year as well. I can't understand how anybody can do something so cruel.

merseyside
Level Contributor
160 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: First time Trip report to Kalkan

Hi there. We did Dalyan this year but I'm going back to Kalkan in October. Dalyan's not the same but still worth a try. I missed the views of the sea, as its on the river. No hills and very flat so easy to stroll around. Kalkan does it for me..... can't wait to go back and sit on the roof terrace of Villa Diana.... :)

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
313 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: First time Trip report to Kalkan

Hi we did Dalyan three years ago ok but kalkan lots better for restaurants not sure if anywhere is like kalkan in turkey !

Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
590 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: First time Trip report to Kalkan

Thanks for the info on Dalyan; was thinking of trying it but maybe not. Or maybe just for a couple of days. It doesn't sound like a 2 week holiday place. Kalkan is truly wonderful and to be honest it is only since returning that I have realized how fab it was :)

Winchester, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: First time Trip report to Kalkan

Excellent report! You were very good 'neighbours' and it was lovely to meet you all :)

Colwyn Bay, North...
Level Contributor
590 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: First time Trip report to Kalkan

ahh our lovely neighbours; we called you the 'washing lady' as you always seem to be doing everyones washing Lol x

Get answers to your questions about Kalkan
Recent Conversations