We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Street dog's being poisoned in Kalkan

Wimborne, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
220 reviews
Save Topic
Street dog's being poisoned in Kalkan

Hi

We have just returned from a two week holiday in Kalkan and were dreadfully upset to hear of the poisoning of dogs in Kalkan. The dogs we met on the streets were mostly well looked after and had tags in their ears. We befriended a couple of them and were distressed to find out that they had both been killed. Is this a normal procedure for Kalkan? We would certainly discourage anyone who cared about animals to visit if this was the case. Do you know who we can contact to get more information.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,765 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Street dog's being poisoned in Kalkan

I don't know the answer to your questions but if it is true that is dreadful :(

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,482 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Street dog's being poisoned in Kalkan

Go to the Kalkan Community Facebook Page and ask the question there. This is the link

https://www.facebook.com/KTLNcommunity

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Street dog's being poisoned in Kalkan

Unfortunately this is more common than people realise and is always denied by the local councils involved.

At the end of the summer season there are always hundreds of dogs left on or turned out on to the streets of tourist resorts,no longer wanted by owners who just wanted a summer dog or by unscrupulous traders who use a 'cute puppy'as bait to get tourists to stop at their shop.

Space in council dog shelters(where they exist)is generally very limited and the money and will do do anything about this end of season influx is limited so many councils view this as a solution to the problem-an issue which seems to get worse each year.

I believe there is a very active street animal welfare group around Kalkan consisting of both expats and local people so hopefully someone will see this and give you details of who you can contact to lodge a complaint.

Although euthenaesia seems a wicked practice on healthy dogs even that would be better than inflicting this agonising death on them.Damn the eyes of whomever takes these decisions!

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
161 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Street dog's being poisoned in Kalkan

Not so sure if this animal welfare group are quite as active as you may think. A dog got into the garden of our villa one day (neighbours constantly leaving the main gate open). He was happily just laying in the shade but our youngest wasn't too happy having him around. We tried to entice him out but then it became obvious he had a problem with one of his legs. We rang the welfare group (kaspar or something it was called) from our brief description they recognised the dog and told us that they couldn't take him in and he'd been walking around with a broken leg for FOUR YEARS!!!! We were really upset at hearing this and rang our caretaker and he helped at least get him off the property but felt so bad just turfing him out especially as our villa was up opposite the garage on a busy road.

Hopefully he is still wandering around but the poor thing can't be happy.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
587 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Street dog's being poisoned in Kalkan

How do you know they have been poisoned? If there have been such events in the past it has always been a big issue and talked about on KTLN or Enjoy Kalkan and has been subject to local enquiries to find the culprits. I haven't seen anything published recently.

London
Level Contributor
253 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Street dog's being poisoned in Kalkan

I agree with the post above, we would def know if that had happened lately, I can only think it happened a while back, as this sort of think has happened before. Very touchy subject.

Kas, Turkey
Level Contributor
199 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Street dog's being poisoned in Kalkan

Thats really sad to hear that but I don'T think they been poisoned by city council.

England
Level Contributor
395 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Street dog's being poisoned in Kalkan

The local Kalkan charity for street animals is KAPSA. Contact them on e-mail to:kapsa.kalkan@gmail.com

Last winter and early spring there were two incidents of poisoning and were investigated.

The local council do not poison dogs and there is a winter feeding programme and neutering of street animals. The incidents were isolated and the furore caused has hopefully put off the perpetrators.

Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
551 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Street dog's being poisoned in Kalkan

LeighA, KAPSA, The animal charity in Kallkan is very active in the village. The volunteers work tirelessly throughout the year caring for all the street animals. They receive no funding from the Belediye and carry out all their work through donations including funding a full time vet. The fact that they knew the dog you were talking about, out of all the street dogs in Kalkan, shows just how dedicated they are. It is most likely the dog's injury was caused long before he arrived in Kalkan and there was nothing that could be done for him. However I can assure you if he is in pain he will be receiving regular treatment and pain relief. You can read lots more about the charity and their fantastic work on their website www.kapsaonline.com or Facebook page. I would encourage all those who love to visit Kalkan to support this very worthwhile charity.

Edited: 27 October 2013, 13:49
Bodrum City, Turkey
Level Contributor
88 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Street dog's being poisoned in Kalkan

Unfortunately thıs ıs the applıcatıon of munıcıpalıtıes and very common on Turkey. I often meet thıs kıd of news on Diren Balım Cancan / facebook - thıs ıs a anımal freindly frıend's facebook ın Ankara but she sends posts from all aroun Turkey. I dont thınk ıt would be changed for a long tıme and munıcıpalıtıy's places are not sterlısed enough and very lımıted covered places. The anımals lıve on the concrete floor Most of them dont take enough curement ( especially after the castratıon they leave the anımals before their tıme so they are gettıng ınfected . If the anımla is too ıll they already kıll ıt .

Get answers to your questions about Kalkan