We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The best of the historic sites

Which Kalkan hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Watford,UK
Level Contributor
299 posts
202 reviews
Save Topic
The best of the historic sites

As we will only have a week, we are not going to be able to see everything on this trip. We will have a hire car . If anyone here has been to Xanthos, Tlos, Letoon , Myra and Patara , which would they say are the best ? Husband is a keen photographer and we like some historical interpretation if available. Keen to see rock tombs, ampitheatres, unusual carvings and good scenic views.

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,000 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The best of the historic sites

Pinara, Tlos and Myra for rock tombs and theatres, Patara and Letoon for theatres (there are no amphitheatres).

TX
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The best of the historic sites

We did not visit Letoon of the sites mentioned but did visit the others and many more on our extended trip. To me, I found Patara to be the most special. It was certainly not the biggest, but it was in the most spectacular location which requires driving up a long windy dirt road into the mountains. It feels very remote and we were the only ones there. The tombs there are wonderful, and it is quite amazing that an entire cliffside rising several hundred feet up is dotted with smaller tombs. It's a true wonder how they were ever accessed and carved. The small theatre is also very nice. Arrive close to sunset and give yourself, especially your husband, time to hike around and explore the photographic opportunities. To us, this was a real gem. We could have skipped Xanthos with little regret.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The best of the historic sites

Um chargedmr2 - I don't think you mean the ruins at Patara. They are all emergening from the beach...

TX
Level Contributor
506 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The best of the historic sites

I'm clearly still jet lagged! I did not mean Patara, I meant to write Pinara. Pinara is in the driving region mentioned, so it remains a great choice for ruins to visit. Thanks for the catch.

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The best of the historic sites

In just a week - I would visit Patara for the ruins and Tlos or Pinara...if you are coming shortly....it is SO hot you wont want to be walking around much as it is so tiring..even if you drive around in your A/C car!! You can combine the ruins of Patara with a spell on the amazing beach to recover!

Enjoy!

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
13,859 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The best of the historic sites

Fethiiye has rock tombs and also a Theatre as David calls it (or an Amphitheatre )as we incorrectly call it.

Fethiye is a beautiful traditional working town with lots to see and do. It also has a Museum where the Roman Statues that were recently found at Tlos are now housed. Great place for a photographer. Stunning Marina and new Park. A great old town called Paspatur a dream for a photographer. Also a water taxi that takes you to Calis Beach (where Daniel Craig filmed Skyfall) It's a 35 minute journey some lovely views and only 5 lira each.

I would recommend you look at Turkey's for live a blog written by an English Couple in Fethiye they have some great photographs on this site. http://www.turkeysforlife.com I think you will be impressed.

If you want to combine a lovely dinner with panoramic views of Fethiye and free entry to the Rock Tombs. Ring or go on line and book the Kings Garden Restaurant. They will come down to the town and pick you up and drop you back for free.

http://kingsgardenrestaurant.co.uk

Also just about 20 minutes from Fethye is Kayakoy the sleepy Turkish Village with the old Ghost Town where the Greek people used to live before they where all moved. Great photo opportunities there. Russell Crowe was there filming in April for his new Movie. www.atlasobscura.com/places/kayakoy-turkey

Edited: 01 July 2014, 16:42
London, United...
Level Contributor
6,475 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The best of the historic sites

For somebody who will be based in Kalkan for a week, surrounded by loads of places with extensive ruins, Fethiye doesn't real make much sense.

Leeds
Level Contributor
208 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The best of the historic sites

I went to Pinara last year and it is now one of my favourite places. It's set in the hills, from which you get beautiful views . It's unspoilt with wild flowers growing around the tombs and ruins. We spent a good few hours there and the only company we saw were goats and tortoises. It's a bit cooler up there and I would wear trainers or the trainer type sandle. That said I managed and I use a crutch to help get around.

Of the others, I thought Tlos was the most interesting followed by Xantos. I didn't like Leetoon as I am frogaphibic and there's millions of the wee devils there.

Leeds
Level Contributor
208 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The best of the historic sites

I went to Pinara last year and it is now one of my favourite places. It's set in the hills, from which you get beautiful views . It's unspoilt with wild flowers growing around the tombs and ruins. We spent a good few hours there and the only company we saw were goats and tortoises. It's a bit cooler up there and I would wear trainers or the trainer type sandle. That said I managed and I use a crutch to help get around.

Of the others, I thought Tlos was the most interesting followed by Xantos. I didn't like Leetoon as I am frogaphibic and there's millions of the wee devils there.

We did Tlos and Pinara in the same day as they were sort of on the way to each other

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
281 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: The best of the historic sites

Its probably a bit far from kalkan, but for the sake of others Id like to mention Cadianda, which is about 30 mins north of fethiye.

It's a winding dirt road drive to get to the top, but the road condition is fine. Once up there we had an hour long walk through beautiful pine woods with great views out and an entire roman city overgrown by trees. Its like no other roman site ive been to and best of all we were the only visitors.

Get answers to your questions about Kalkan
Recent Conversations