We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private tours & Saklikent Gorge

Nottingham
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Topic
Private tours & Saklikent Gorge

Hi there

We're coming to Kalkan at the end of July as a family to celebrate my 40th birthday - can't wait!

One of the things we'd really like to do is the gorge walk / tubing / mud / river cafe experience. Two are of the group are in their 70s so I suspect we don't want to do too much hiking over slippery sharp rocks but can't figure out how much of this is involved to get to the tubing, mud and cafes. Can anyone advise on this? Also, is the rafting something else, or is it just the mode of transport ;)

I've also read varying reviews from it needing only a couple of hours to at least four, and that going in the morning is better as it's heaving by the afternoon during the school holidays.

I was thinking therefore as there are 7 of us, it might be worth while organising a private guide so we can avoid peak times and aspects of organised tours that we don't fancy like the carpet visit but add on other bits we'd like to do like perhaps the trout farm.

Can anyone recommend a private tour guide with good inside knowledge to make the best of the day? Ideally they'd sort out the tedious stuff like getting tickets etc so we can crack on with the things we enjoy :)

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Private tours & Saklikent Gorge

For 7 of you - definitely worth booking a private trip - I arrange this for my villa guests - using the same people who do my transfers - so they come to the door and do your bespoke trip - knowing of course where to go. Ask your villa owner if they can arrange it - otherwise - I can PM you my guy's contact details....

The 70 year olds will have just as much fun sitting my the river on the decking watching the tubing going on and seeing people going to walk up the gorge - so no worries there.... Cafes are all around and the tubing/mud is separate to walking up the gorge - I hope that explains it better for you!!

Enjoy!

congleton, United...
Level Contributor
753 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Private tours & Saklikent Gorge

The riverside cafés are at the same point as the car park, we did the tubing from there on Fri (25tl pp for a short trip, 30mins?) it's a great experience but the water is cold! And the current fairly strong in places, some physical fitness is required.. The walk has various stages so the less adventurous can turn back at points. Mornings tend to be quieter.

uk
Level Contributor
73 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Private tours & Saklikent Gorge

Hi, we are currently in Kalkan and visited Saklikent today. We hired a car for 25gbp from a hire co in resort, which got delivered to us. The roads are very quiet and Saklikent very easy to find as sign posted on the main road.

Just outside the entrance are some lovely restaurant/ cafes which your older travellers could enjoy. There are some a little further away from the entrance near the car parking area which are set on a beautiful stream with ducks!

Sallikent is definitely worth a visit- good choice - but you need to be quite agile as its a clamber over rocks to start and enter the beginning gorge, its then a little flatter before becoming quite a clamber! However, its only 5lira pp so maybe your older guests might like to have a v small experience of the gorge and then leave the rest to you! (Its wooden walkways before the clambering starts!) they could then watch the tubing and have a drink whilst waiting for you. We did the whole distance to the waterfall ) and at times i was up to my neck in water (im 5ft)! So chest height for average height. Leave your valuables with the older guest in your party as my bag got wet despite my bf holding it above his head a lot of the way! It is a bit of a struggle, but not being agile or sporty i managed and was really pleased with myself! If your going to go the whole way, i would suggest a couple of hours for the gorge plus time for tubing and lunch. There are guides sat half way through the gorge who can help you navigate the best path as it gets trickier (and water chest height (neck height for me!!) they will expect a tip and are cheeky enough to ask for more so be careful if you use them. I dont think me and the bf would have made it without them though even helping the bf up high rocks at times! Also you can hire rubber shoes for 3lira or buy for 10lira. They were fine but rubbed a little towards the end so maybe small trainer socks might help, or of course bring your own wet shoes. Hope this helps!

Nottingham
Level Contributor
10 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Private tours & Saklikent Gorge

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback. I've had a recommendation PM'd to me but all are welcome so we have alternatives in case they're not available.

Sheffield England
Level Contributor
455 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Private tours & Saklikent Gorge

Thanks SunworkshipKid. I've found this most interesting and informative.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Private tours & Saklikent Gorge

Please could you PM the contact for private tours of the gorge too. We are a family of 6, ages 11 - 46. Are there any age/height restrictions, do you know? We were thinking of hiring a car and then getting a guide, but it may be cheaper to do a private tour? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Isle of Wight...
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Private tours & Saklikent Gorge

Thank you for recommending Define Tours! We did their Saklikent/Tlos/Patara trip and were most impressed. The groups are small, the guide was excellent and the mini bus was air conditioned and comfortable. The price was very reasonable (approx 75TL) and included a traditional lunch in the mountains. A definite must!

8. Re: Private tours & Saklikent Gorge

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Kalkan
Recent Conversations