We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalkan more expensive than the Uk

Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kalkan more expensive than the Uk

I have read other peoples thoughts on this and I am amazed at the amount of people that are saying Kalkan IS NOT as expensive as the UK!!

Don't be fooled!! I am here now and I have been holidayed here for the last 3 years. When we first came the prices were pretty good for food, drink, taxis, trips etc etc. However as Kalkan has become more popular the prices have risen and risen. We are paying around 11 lira for a 330ml bottle of Efes which is over £3 a bottle, an average DESENT meal is around 35 lira not including a starter, which is just over £10. Yes you can go to places that will be cheaper but the food is generally poor. When we came 3 years ago an average price of an Efes was 5 lira and the average price of a meal was around 20/25 lira. Food shopping is more or less the same as the UK if not more expensive and so are taxi's.

The exchange rate is very high at the moment but I am afraid that is counter acted over here, something that we noticed last year.

Kalkan is a lovely place but NOT CHEAP!!

Hertfordshire
Level Contributor
58 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalkan more expensive than the Uk

Where in the UK do you live? An average pub meal costs more where I live in England than an excellent meal in Kalkan. Most restaurants give you free starters and sometimes a free coffee or liqueur after.

We had a lovely meal on Saturday. Two main courses, a bottle of water and a bottle of wine, for about £31. We were then given another two glasses of wine and a free dessert. Not expensive at all.

We have also eaten at a much less expensive restaurant. Two mains and two beers for a tenner. Good quality, cheap food.

Hot bread straight from the bakery for less than 20p, and the fruit and veg is much cheaper than England.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
584 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalkan more expensive than the Uk

We returned recently and ate 16 meals in restaurants. We were 3 adults with good appetites and our meals always had 3 main courses and usually a minimum of 4 glasses of wine, 1 or 2 beers and a bottle of sparkling water, some meals we had starters or dessert but never both as we couldn't manage 3 courses.

5 meals, with tip were 140 lira or less (£40),

7 meals with tip were between 141 lira and 200 lira (£55.86), these meals were all in restaurants with a good reputation, some with great views and all considered 'high end'.

4 meals with tip were between 201 and 240 lira (£67) and were all the high end sophisticated restaurants with beautiful settings.

All meals but one were good to excellent and any Kalkan regulars would dispute that the 'cheaper meals are poorer'. Usually it is the setting that is less sophisticated or not having a view rather than the food being poor quality. In addition to this many of the restaurants gave free starters or coffee or after dinner drinks.

We also had a boat trip, 10am to 6pm, which cost 60 lira (£16.75) and included morning coffee, a great lunch, fresh fruit and tea and cake and left us so full we only had snacks in the evening.

Taxis are considerably cheaper than where we live in the UK. It was 10 lira (£2.63), with tip from the harbour to our apartment which is just above the Yali supermarket.

As for food shopping it depends what you are buying. A bottle of very drinkable Angora wine is £15 lira(£4.19), a 500ml of Effes is about £1.25, fruit and veg is a fraction of the price of back home and very good quality and 2 very large chicken breasts from the market are less than £2. A loaf of lovely fresh bread is 1 lira (28p) and yes some things are a similar price to here.

The average exchange for 2011 was 2.67 lira to the £. We were getting in June 3.58 lira to the £. In 2011 a main course costing 25 lira worked out at £9.36. This year a main course at 35 lira is £9.77, not much rise in real terms for 3 years compared to the increases in the UK over the last 3 years.

We consider it to be cheaper than the UK if you are comparing like for like. Our medium priced meals with drinks (£13.34 to £18.70 a head) and high end meals with drinks (£18.70 to £22.33 a head) can't be compared with a pub meal back home both for quality of food and ambiance and setting. If you ate in high end restaurants with such a great setting in the UK the main course alone would cost that amount before drinks and other courses.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
689 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalkan more expensive than the Uk

I still consider Kalkan to be cheaper than the UK. Think max we've paid for a large Efes is 10lira.

Our most expensive meal, which was three courses, bottle of wine, 4 beers, 2 cocktails and a sprite. 4 people 360 lira. Isn't that about £100? That includes fillet steak. At home 1 steak alone costs us £20 plus. 3 of us had a fillet that night. Still think it's good value for money.

We're here right now. Paid 8 lira today for a beer :)

Edited: 21 July 2014, 17:54
Bath
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalkan more expensive than the Uk

Agree paid £30/£55 for 3 people including several wines/beers/milk shakes for a range of meals from moussaka to steaks/fish. Sometimes given free mezes, desserts, apertifs. Would cost me twice that in Bath...although Bath is a bit on the pricey side so Kalkan wins hands down for me.

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
276 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalkan more expensive than the Uk

Hi we think kalkan is good value for your money

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
15,422 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kalkan more expensive than the Uk

I cannot agree that it's more expensive than the U.K. However, it is more expensive than other Turkish Resorts but, if you love Kalkan you will be happy to pay more to be there.

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,401 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kalkan more expensive than the Uk

I disagree that it is more expensive than other Turkish resorts (and TOTALLY disagree that it is more expensive than the UK). I find the prices in Kas, Calis and Fethiye on par price wise with Kalkan and alcohol is certainly way more expensive in Antalya and Istanbul. For the quality of the food and the views - you cannot beat it!!

s f
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kalkan more expensive than the Uk

While I don't agree it is as expensive as the uk it's not dirt cheap especially alcohol. However agree with others about cheap but lovely fruit and veg , lovely bread 1tl , mineral water way cheaper and meals are more bang for your buck than uk and with a gorgeous sea view. I think we thought it would be cheap as chips and were surprised but it is still better value than other destinations. With a sea view so good I mentioned twice :-)

Shoreham-by-Sea...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kalkan more expensive than the Uk

Hello , Where did you do your shopping?

We really want to find the cheapest place for meat , veg and fruit!

Thanks

Shoreham-by-Sea...
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kalkan more expensive than the Uk

Hello , Where did you do your shopping?

We really want to find the cheapest place for meat , veg and fruit!

Thanks

Get answers to your questions about Kalkan
Recent Conversations