We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kalkan toilet paper

Widnes, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
kalkan toilet paper

I am just wondering we will be staying in a villa in kalkan. Do they put toilet paper down the toilet or in the bin like in certain parts of Greece? A weird question I know. Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Greece
Greece
Europe
congleton, United...
Level Contributor
756 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kalkan toilet paper

In the bin.

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
8,234 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kalkan toilet paper

There is a nifty device on toilets here! At the top of the bowl just under the seat you'll see a small spout. Turning a wheel/tap beside the toilet turns it on and there you have your "bum washer"!!!! Very refreshing in hot weather and saves having a bin full of soiled paper as you just use the toilet paper to dry!!! If the water doesn't appear from the spout you'll have twiddled the wrong knob and turned off the water to the cistern - best to turn this back on and try a different knob/tap :-)

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
144 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kalkan toilet paper

Ha ha ha, that's the best answer I have ever read on here ! Nice one vipfamily, you made me smile ! (And it was also informative as we are off to Kalkan in 5 weeks ;)

Mentioned in this post
Kalkan
Kalkan
Antalya Province, Turkey
Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,392 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kalkan toilet paper

Nice one vipfamily.

Here's a guide to Turkish toilets: turkeytravelplanner.com/details/Toilets.html

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kalkan toilet paper

Just don't open the spigot too far or you'll end up with wet knickers :)) How many times have I misjudged the water pressure,the water has shot out in front of me and I've ended up looking like I've peed myself(oh the shame!).

But re;the paper;always in the bin never down the loo and this is true where ever you go here,holiday resort or regular town,village or city.

I think it goes without saying disposable baby nappies and sanitary items also always go in the bin too.

Antalya, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Antalya
Level Contributor
8,234 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kalkan toilet paper

Or wet feet!!! Just thought it was worth mentioning as a lot of people are a bit put off at the thought of a bin full of used loo roll.

The water pressure has surprised me once or twice especially early in the morning ;-)

Istanbul, Turkey
Level Contributor
17,579 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kalkan toilet paper

Thanks to the anonymity of the internet all our darkest secrets are laid bare :)) but isn't it nice to learn you're not alone in your stupidity haa haa!

London
Level Contributor
262 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kalkan toilet paper

A quick squirt and your sorted ;-)))

janmobile
Level Contributor
95 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: kalkan toilet paper

Kalkan plumbing is fine. Carry on!

Mentioned in this post
Kalkan
Kalkan
Antalya Province, Turkey
congleton, United...
Level Contributor
756 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: kalkan toilet paper

Sorry Janmobile but like most of Turkey and Greece the majority of plumbing in Kalkan is not designed to handle paper waste, (the soil pipes are smaller bore than other places and they don't have the same traps and rodding eyes) if paper is flushed it probably doesn't have an immediate obvious effect but paper will tend to build up and create a blockage, once this happens you will know why paper should be put in the bin and not flushed.. and as there are no (or very few) rodding eyes fixing the problem is not easy.

please use the bin.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Greece
Greece
Europe
Kalkan
Kalkan
Antalya Province, Turkey
Get answers to your questions about Kalkan