We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Meis (Kastelorizo)

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,195 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Meis (Kastelorizo)

Hi all!

I put this post on the Greece Forum but no response came, I guess it is so remote and as you can almost touch it from Turkey I better put it here.

I am very curious about this small island just under Kas. Has anybody been there?

What can you do on the island for a daytrip from Kas?

Where can you eat, what sort of food, anything you know please let me know!

Thank you so much!

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo)

I've never been there, but seen it often enough. If you get close enough, your mobile phone can switch to a Greek service.

A friend from Üçagiz told me that the island really depends on Kas for its existence, small boats operate a ferry service, but from the look of it it would take you a few minutes to walk around the town and that's about it. I have read that the rest of the island is off limits for "security reasons", but have no idea whether that's true or not..

I've certainly seen people travelling back there from Kas with loads of shopping (even a wrought-iron table on one occasion) and the rather strange sight of an Orthodox priest walking past the mosque in Kas!

London&Kalkan
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo)

It's a beautiful small island where they filmed Mediterraneo (best foreign language film 1990 something). It's a mile and a half from Kas - practically in the harbour - and you can get there in 20 mins from Kas which I did last summer. But Kastellorizo isn't an official entry point into Greece from Turkey so you can only stay for a day. Kas is however an official entry point into Turkey from Kastellorizo though. Fantastically remote - people used the harbour as a giant swimming pool! Good fish restaurants.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo)

Hi Guys: anyone say Meis, or Mais as it sometimes spelled. You will love it. The family visitied this past summer on our cruise from Greece and it was so coool. Lots of little shops, and you can walk everywhere. As I have said the kids do a lot of research before each summer vacation and they found info on this helpful site:

http://www.hitit.co.uk/tosee/Meis/index.html

We were there in August, it was hot but there was also a nice cool breeze. We noticed many visitors who had come over from Kas on day trips, here's we go : the shops were wonderful and had a variety of items and tourist stuff too. I got an embroidered blouse in one of them for my in law and she loves it.,. I can't remember the food, that's bad because if I can't remember it it wasn't memorable. There are cafes near the marina and restaurants as you walk around. There are many churches, all dedicated to St. George and it is pleasant to walk around this small island. I am going to dig out my trip notes and tell you more later.

This website says ABI Travel out of Kalkan has trips there so check it out with them, they probably have good info. +

90 0242 844 2694 / 844 3670

Fax : +90 0242 844 2695

abitravel@abitravel.net

Happy Day, LemonLady

Villa Kirmizi Lale...
Destination Expert
for Kalkan
Level Contributor
2,409 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo)

Hi VR - I too haven't yet been there - but it is on my list of places to visit..!! I understand that is a really nice place for a day trip and I also understand that you can renew your turkish visa when you re-enter Kas (is that in conflict from a previous poster..??).

Anyway - apparently it has a lovely market with lovely restaurants and you can buy your bacon and sausages there and the kinds of things unavailable in Turkey. As Patara01 says - it is literally a stone's throw from Kas and I understand that it quite a busy route with both greeks coming to do their shopping in Kas.

If we get there this summer - I will write a report for the forum!! You can see it very well on that most spectacular drive from Kalkan to Kas.

And yes, - I don't think the Greece forum would get any replies at all - it is so small - I don't think anybody will have heard of it!!

Cheers!

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo)

I guess we missed the good fish restaurants. LL

kas
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo)

hell, l feel so lucky. l can see The meis everyday from my balcony.

l have been there several times so nice and quiet.

l will recommend you to go there and try the sea food spesially calamary from kör Nigoes.

osman is a local guy ,who has a boat and he does the tours to meis island you can contact him by mobile tlf 0532 540 7040.

he can be your local guide there dont forgat to try a desser from the islan of meis.

happy travel

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo)

Hi B&W: thanks for your helpful post, I guess we'll have to go back for the calamari and the dresser. I envy you being able to see this lovely place from your balcony. LL

kas
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo)

hello LL ,l just get back to kas from Ankara and its allways nice feeling to be at home.

sorry for my mistakes l wanted to say ''desserts'' ,meis is very populer place for a daily trip, while you are visiting kas you can take a boat and visit meis.

cheers

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,195 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo)

Hi all!

I knew there were some great people going to respond, thank you all and especially Bread and Water! On the Greece forum nobody has ever heard of Meis.

I am surely going to visit Meis sooner better than later! Maybe if we are without guests late April early May I will jump and have a good look around.

I toured the Kas peninsula last week, I am impressed with the nice style of house they built there, only all so close to one and another.

We had a super lunch in Akdeniz restaurant down the Kas harbor and I do have to say for wintertime all the mezze were freshly prepared and really delicious. We ate with 5 adults inculded the drinks just 110,00 YTL fair enough.

Maybe next week first a visit to Simi and later to Meis.

Any more input welcome!

kas
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Meis (Kastelorizo)

hi villa rhapsody l fine this at Vt

virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Greece/Meyi…

happy travel

Get answers to your questions about Kas
Recent Conversations