We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kas to Kekova Island and Ucagiz

Which Kas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kas to Kekova Island and Ucagiz

Hi,

What would be the best way to explore Kekova Island and Ucagiz without joining a tour?

Thank you.

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Kas to Kekova Island and Ucagiz

I don't know what your itinerary is, but you could drive to Üçagiz and stay there and you're bound to be able to find someone who'd take you around the area by boat - have a look at this site:-

http://theimussa.eu/en/2.html

Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kas to Kekova Island and Ucagiz

Thanks, Dudisimo, for your suggestion.

I arrive in Fethiye on Sat early afternoon and leaving for Goreme on Tue overnight bus, so about 3.5 days. I don't have a fixed itinerary as I'm not sure how to go around the areas of Kekova, Ucagiz.

If I'm not driving, are there any alternatives?

Thank you.

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Kas to Kekova Island and Ucagiz

In theory you should be able to get a bus to Kas and then a dolmus to Üçagiz, but the latter is a tiny village and I imagine there's a very sparse dolmus service which runs in reverse, timewise, to what you would need. Apart from that, it's a lot to do in one day by bus - local services tend to pack up early in the evening.

An alternative would be to go to Kas early in the morning (getting there for around 9 a.m.) and take one of the "chicken boats" that do day tours around Kekova (chicken boat is a derogatory Turkish reference to the day boats full of tourists).

Maybe you'd be better off exploring more locally from Fethiye - the Kaya Valley, the 12 islands, the tombs and river and beach at Dalyan, etc.

Kas, Turkey
Level Contributor
155 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Kas to Kekova Island and Ucagiz

Hey again HngDreams,

The best way to explore Kekova Island and Ucagiz by yourself is to hire a private boat by yourself from Kas harbour if you are staying in Kas but it is quite expensive because it is a private boat.

Some people drive by themselves to Ucagiz and then board on a boat there but unfortunately, I heard many stories from people being ripped off. Some were charged 80 YTL for just a couple of hours on a very old boat while normally, if you book the tour via your hotel or travel agency (from Kas, I cannot speak from other towns) it is about 40 YTL per person for the all day, lunch included.

Another fun way to explore Kekova is with sea kayak but it is with a travel agency.

Have fun! Spending a day in Kekova is really relaxing and the water is really clear

Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kas to Kekova Island and Ucagiz

Thanks, Dudisimo, for your suggestions on Kaya Koy and Dalyan.

Thanks again, missvoyages, for your informative post.

Cheers.

Pamukkale
Level Contributor
79 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kas to Kekova Island and Ucagiz

We had a quick 3 day trip around the coast a couple of weeks ago and a definite highlight was the 2 hour cruise around the Kekova area on a fishing boat with the captain giving us a private tour (just the 2 of us, the sun setting across the water - very beautiful and romantic!) taking us closer to the 'sunken city' areas than the bigger tour boats and stopping in a quiet inlet for a quick jump in the crystal clear water - all this for 50 lira. We just walked down to the jetty, started talking to the captain, negotiated a deal and away we went!

Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kas to Kekova Island and Ucagiz

Hi KazzzH,

Thanks for the info. This sounds great! I will give it a try. Do you remember the Captain's name or the boat details?

Cheers.

Dorking
Level Contributor
552 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kas to Kekova Island and Ucagiz

We booked a trip a couple of days ahead with 'Late Deals' who have an office in the Kas harbour next to an Estate Agents. There were only 5 of us,hardly a tour! We got an a/c minibus for the first bit,which was good as it can be rough on the long sea journey. We then got a little boat with sun beds for all of us. We stopped off to swim in several bays. We had a great lunch and free wine. We saw Kekova and Simena,where we had time to walk up,or sit in a cafe. A very good trip,and even a return taxi thrown in free to our hotel .They are on the internet.Very comfortable and flexible-ask the guy in the office to tailor the trip to what you want. We even arranged the time to leave Simena,between the 5 of us-{a turk and an Italian couple.}

Singapore
Level Contributor
30 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kas to Kekova Island and Ucagiz

Hi DorkingHoldiayAddict,

Thanks very much for the info. Will give your suggestion a try. Cheers!

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kas to Kekova Island and Ucagiz

When you go to Simena, check out the ice cream in the cafe just up from the water - really good home-made peach or banana - I don't eat ice cream normally, but always have one if I go there (then an Efes, of course!).

Get answers to your questions about Kas