We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kas at Christmas

Which Kas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Kas at Christmas

HI. I am staying on the Peninsular this coming Christmas. Although I've been to Kas many times before during summer months this will be my first trip in winter. I've been told the weather can be very pleasant though I'm not sure whether I need to bring jackets/cardigans etc. Any thoughts on this?

Also I'm wondering whether much will be open on Christmas day itself? For example, are any shops open in Kas? Iam thinking of going to the Fethiye market - does anybody know what day it's open and whether it will be running as usual over the Christmas period? Any other tips/hints would also be much appreciated. Thanks

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kas at Christmas

Hi again Mismeg

Although I,ve answered you on the other forum, you have raised further questions which I can answer for you.

Yes, I would suggest that you bring woollies and a jacket. Even if the days are pleasant and warm, the temperature does drop considerably at night and it will feel very cold.

All of the normal shops i.e. supermarkets, groceries, general clothing stores etc will be open. Christmas Day is just like any other working day to the Turkish community. Even the banks will be open!

Fethiye market is on a Tuesday and it runs all year round.

During the winter months there is a dolmus service out to the peninsula but the last bus back is 11pm.

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kas at Christmas

Thanks. Are there any other big markets worth visiting? From memory the Kas one is fairly small. I'd like to do some proper shopping and Fethiye is the place that springs to mind. However, we don't mind going further or in the opposite direction if you think there is anything worth visiting that way. Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kas at Christmas

I have spent the past 3 New Years just further down the coast at Gocek but the weather would be much the same - and as AslansMum has said you definitely want to be thinking of woolies and a jacket. We have had lovely sunny days - 20 odd degrees in the sun (chilly in the shade though)- certainly warm enough to sit out in shirtsleeves or long sleeved teeshirt, but it gets VERY cold at night. Also we have been lucky not to have had any rain - but it could well be wet. It is great weather though for walking and exploring ruins etc - you will probably have the sites to yourself apart from a few goats!

Regarding shopping - most of the tourist shops in Paspatur (bazaar area) in Fethiye will be shut, but otherwise it will be business as usual. Still an enormous market on Tuesdays. What sort of things are you wanting to shop for? Also will you have a car? If you travelled in the other direction from Kas there are large towns at Demre and Finike and even Kumluca - but there would not be so many "tourist" shops here.

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kas at Christmas

yes we do have a car and are quite happy to do some exploring, particularly going the other way. Shopping wise we aren't really looking for the usual touristy stuff (eg fake designer goods) butI would like to buy things like nice bed linen, bathrobes and maybe jewellery - that sort of thing. Do you think the places you mention would be a good place to go for those? Also can you recommend any places to visit which we might not have been to before? We are planning to visit the Greek Island of Meis and might drive up to Olympos as well but haven't really got much else planned at the moment.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,602 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kas at Christmas

You can probably get "honeycomb" bathrobes on Fethiye market or in the shops. Nice bed linen - that is not so easy... Naturally it depends upon what you are looking for. The stuff on the markets is not generally all cotton and you do not get a lot of duvet sets. In my opinion a lot of the bedding you can get in the linen shops (such as Buldan's) in Fethiye is not to my taste - the colours are often ones such as red, and very fancy! We actually bought cotton sheeting material in Sumerbank (near the Fishmarket in Fethiye)and they made the bedlinen up for us in a couple of days at very little cost. Nice selection of colours and 100% cotton. Or there is a lady in Paspatur in Fethiye (near the hamam) who sells textiles and makes up bedspreads and curtains and things like that, and you can also get very nice woven cotten tablecloths - in shops or on the markets.

I must admit I haven't ever done much shopping in Demre or Finike etc. (but do remember seeing loads of shops selling agricultural tools, school uniforms - but possibly not of much interest to you!) You would probably find jewellers though.

Other places to visit...? Well have you been to see the ruins at Patara or Xanthos or Pinara etc? They are not very far further on from Kalkan. Or the old houses inland at Elmali? Or Olympos is a lovely site too - about a 2 hour drive from Kas.

6. Re: Kas at Christmas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 04:19
Get answers to your questions about Kas