We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kalkan or Kas?? Don't know which one to go to!

perth
Level Contributor
677 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Kalkan or Kas?? Don't know which one to go to!

Hi there,

We can't decide between Kas and Kalkan for our holiday next year! We are a couple in our mid thirties with no children. We like going for a nice meal at night and like pretty streets with nice restaurants and shops for browsing!! We like a few drinks after dinner but somewhere quiet and relaxing. I have read that Kas is more of a working toen. What does this mean? Is is not as pretty as Kalkan? Can anyone help? I have posted in both forums to see what people who prefer each one think!

Regards

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,105 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kalkan or Kas?? Don't know which one to go to!

Hi ScotsThistle,

my personal choice for a holiday would be Kas. I think Kas is more lively, nicer shopping streets, younger visitors. Kalkan developed since recent years to a more upmarket village, it lost a bit if its original charm I think. It was a very small village just a few years ago, now it is so built up all on the hills surrounding.

Still I would say, you should go for a visit to Kalkan for a day or you don't mention how long you intend to go, but you could just split between the two.

Mind though both places have no real beaches, only concrete platforms with entries into the sea. Between the 2 is a lovely small beach called Kaputas, in a deep stunning cove.

And Kas has Meis (Kastelorizo) the Greek island very close. Seen from Hideaway hotel's rooftop you have a stunning view!

Hope this helps, cheers.

perth
Level Contributor
677 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kalkan or Kas?? Don't know which one to go to!

Hi There,

Thank You for your help. We would be going for 2 weeks. When you say younger crowd do you mean its quite noisy at night?

Regards

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kalkan or Kas?? Don't know which one to go to!

Hi ScotsThisle,

What a terrible decision you have to make!! Both Kaş and Kalkan are very attractive towns - pretty streets, and lots of nice restaurants and bars and shops - although the restaurants in Kalkan seem more famous as well as pricey. Neither of them have much by way of a beach - just small pebble beaches or rocks you can sunbathe on and swim off and beach clubs. You have great views out to sea from both places.

I have visited Kaş for a couple of days or so over a number of years, whereas am less familiar with Kalkan since despite passing through/or by many times by bus or boat, only actually stayed a night there for the first time last September, when we also passed through Kaş. We were delighted to find (after an absence of a few years) that Kaş was its usual lovely lively bustling self. I would agree in describing Kaş as a "working town" since it has a larger centre and a larger marina, full of working yachts and gulets, and so there are always so many people coming and going, provisioning the boats getting ready to sail etc. Kalkan on the other hand (IMHO!) while it used to be a small fishing village, nowadays is more of a "resort", primarily popular with British tourists, many of whom stay in the villas that have sprung up like a rash all over the hills behind and the peninsular.

Tourists to Kaş come from all over - and particularly from Europe, and also tend to be younger. You can find descriptions of a nice selection of small hotels and pensions in Kaş here in TA. There are beautiful boat tours you can take for a day or even more from Kaş to Kekova and the sunken city and crusader castle at Simena, and you can also catch a ferry over to the Greek island called Meis just across the water from Kas. If you want to explore a bit further, you could get the bus to Demre to visit the Church of St. Nicholas (Santa Claus!) and the Lycian ruins and tombs at Myra.

Good luck with your choice - or again, maybe you could stay in both places!

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,743 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kalkan or Kas?? Don't know which one to go to!

Haha - just read VR's reply - I have nearly duplicated what she said!!

Re whether noisy at night? No, I wouldn't call it noisy. There are some bars along the front that play music (records I mean rather than live music), but not so loud that you cannot sit outside and enjoy a drink and watch the world go by - in other bars the music would be quieter.

perth
Level Contributor
677 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kalkan or Kas?? Don't know which one to go to!

Thank You for your help. Kas sounds lovely although I am a little concerned that a lot of young people go to Kas. Is it a 'party' place?

Regards

perth
Level Contributor
677 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kalkan or Kas?? Don't know which one to go to!

Sorry- i just read your second posting! Thanks Again

Regards

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,105 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kalkan or Kas?? Don't know which one to go to!

No I do not think Kas is a party village at all. It is so laid back, it gets the backpackers, people who do not mind to travel a bit longer as a transfer, people touring from place to place.

If I compare it to Hisarönü which is a typical party village near Oludeniz and has nothing else other than that, then Kas does not come near to that as all.

Hideaway is on the quiet side of town as it is not on the main traffic routing coming from the sea front driving into town. No bars of any importance as I recollect.

I stayed many years ago on the other side of town, I can't recall any disturbance of noise.

Did you check out Flickr?

http://www.flickr.com/

Just type Kas and Kalkan, you get such a good non-styled pictures or snap shots for a very good view of both places.

Good luck!

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kalkan or Kas?? Don't know which one to go to!

I can vouch that Kas is definately not a "party town".

Yes there are bars and 2 bar/discos but Kas has a strict noise control. All music must be turned down at midnight, live music must finish at 2am and ALL music at 3am.

There are no bars in the vicinity of the hotels (other than their own bars of course).

Kas is extremely laid back.

The great thing about Kas is because it is a working town it doesn,t only cater for tourists therefore with regard to restaurants, you can buy inexpensive typical Turkish fayre, also generally it is cheaper than Kalkan.

Whatever your decision, I hope you have a great holiday.

perth
Level Contributor
677 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kalkan or Kas?? Don't know which one to go to!

Thank You again for all your help!

Regards

Isparta, Turkey
Level Contributor
27 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kalkan or Kas?? Don't know which one to go to!

Hi there,

First of all Kas is a town and Kalkan is a village which belongs to Kas.

Both of them has beatiful views. But I would ofcourse recommend Kas.

I would like to add one review submited to our guestbook which gives some information about Kas.

Having been to Turkey several times I have seen KAS from a tourist's viewpoint and i can assure you that it is a wonderful place for a relaxing holiday, with a splendid and very clean pebble beach just a 2 minute walk from the apartment. There are also some very good sandy beaches which are just 15 minutes away by boat from Kas harbour - Regular 'ferry services' are available throughout the day taking people back and forth from this beach. You will find all the local people to be extremely friendly and in Tevfik and his family, you could not ask for more hospitable hosts. Kas is an excellent base for sightseeing. One of the great attractions of Turkey for me is the fact that there are so many places of interest near to the main tourist centres and Kas is a very good example of this. There are trips that can be organised through local agencies, or you may find that Tevfik will be able to personally take you to some of these places. I hope you enjoy your holiday. Regards Mike"

Regards

Erdem Dundar

Dundar Family

Get answers to your questions about Kas
Recent Conversations