We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe Water, Mosquitos and Sterling

Which Kas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
West Wales
Level Contributor
96 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Safe Water, Mosquitos and Sterling

Hello you lovely sounding bunch in Kas... can't wait to "bump" into you at the beginning of September.

You all sound such a hoot and what a treasure trove of info.

My questions are:-

Is the water safe for our tummies? Are salad and ice cubes ok? How about drinking a glass from a tap?

Not seen any mention of mossies???? Beginning of Sept ok? I get a terrible reaction if I get zapped so would prefer to protect myself if it's likely to be a problem.

Is it a good idea to bring some Sterling and can it be changed easily and is the exchange rate good?

Will keep watching this space to hear back from you.

Many thanks in advance. West Wales Granny x

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,305 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe Water, Mosquitos and Sterling

The DE for Kas, Aslansmum, is probably the best person to answer your questions and I am sure that she will correct me (nicely) if I get anything wrong but here goes.

Kas water is generally pretty good and OK to clean your teeth in, however it is normal to drink only bottled water, as the local water can be very rich in minerals which can cause problems for some people if you are not used to it

I understand that ice cubes are also made from bottled water so no problem there, and certainly no problems with the salads, in fact you would be doing yourself a great dis-service if you avoided them !

I have never exeperienced any stomach problems as a result of anything I have eaten or drunk in Kas. Both my wife and I did have a significant problem however after eating some dodgy food at Gatwick on the way out last September which ruined the first couple of days of our holiday.

Mossies, well I have never had a problem and the authorities in Kas do have a program of trying to keep the little devils under control. As a precaution it is worth bringing something like Avon 'Skin So Soft' (green bottle) it seems to work very well.

As form money, the general consenus is to bring about 40-50 lira with you just for the first day and either bring sterling or use a Nationwide debit card if you have one (they don't charge for withdrawals at ATMs in Turkey).

There are plenty of banks where you can change money at a decent rate (better than in the UK) - note the banks are only open weekdays and get very busy on Fridays as it is market day and the locals come in from the villages (great atmosphere).

You can also change money at the post office (PTT) which stays open in the evenings until about 9 or 10pm. It is also possible to change money in the hotels, but the rates are not likely to be as good.

Hope you enjoy your holiday, you have picked a great place and September is a good time to go. The temperature is good, not too hot and there are usually some fantastic sunsets.

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe Water, Mosquitos and Sterling

Adana has pretty much covered everything!

I agree that most people drink bottled water. The tap water doesn,t particularly taste nice.

Whist most places buy in their ice or make it from bottled water, there will be exceptions to the rule.

Should you be unfortunate enough to get a dose of the Turkey Trots, don,t be in a hurry to blame it on the water or dodgy food. Quite often people underestimate the effect of the sun, change of diet etc can have on your system. If you need any medication then Lale Eczane will be ale to help you out (in the main boulevard)

If you are prone to be attacked by mozzies then bring some anti hisamines. I thing if you are one of those people that they enjoy nibbling, then they will seek you out. However, mozzies are not a big problem here.

Besides the places mentioned by Adana with regard to changing sterling, most restaurants will also accept sterling and they will give you the rate quoted in the daily papers.

Have a great holiday.

West Wales
Level Contributor
96 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe Water, Mosquitos and Sterling

You are so on the ball, many thanks for your quick responses.... very helpful too.

We drove down to Kas last time we were in Turkey (Ovacik) for a couple of swims,a lunch and a look. It is very much more to our taste than the usual holiday resorts.

I know we will enjoy our holiday and I agree with you Adana about the Turkish salads.... I will be living on them!

Thanks again. West Wales Granny x

4. Re: Safe Water, Mosquitos and Sterling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 January 2010, 06:33
Get answers to your questions about Kas