We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Boat trips / hire

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
73 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Boat trips / hire

Hi,

Can anyone give me some idea of the cost of hiring a boat (for 4 people) for the day from Kas? And are there any standard boat trips that go to Kalkan & Patara from Kas? Lonely Planet mentions this as a standard route but I had trouble finding any boats going there last time we visited Kas. Maybe we just got to the harbour too late and missed them!

Cheers,

Sandra

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Boat trips / hire

Hi again Sandra

There are no standard boat trips from Kas to Kalkan. I have lived here for 10 years and have never known of one so not sure where Lonely Planet got that information from.

It,s difficult to give a cost for a private hire as there are several factors to take into account. The size of the boat, the time of the year and the cost of fuel.

I doubt any boat owners would give a price this early in the year. Most boat trips start late May, early June as the weather can be unpredictable before then.

What most people do is to wander down to the harbour of an evening and chat with the captains and then strike up a deal.

Generally a days hire involves pootling around the bays and stopping off for swims here and there. The price will also include lunch and most captains will negotiate over the cost of drinks.

Because of the time scale, I doubt you would get a captain willing to take you to Kalkan and back (but I could be wrong) however I suspect it would be very expensive as fuel is very costly here.

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
73 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Boat trips / hire

Thanks again, AslanMum!

The Kalkan / Patara trip from Kas has been listed in the Lonely Planet for years but when we asked at the harbour last time we were there the captains just gave us blank stares so we gave up and went to Kekova (again) instead. We'll be in Kas from 17th May so I really hope there'll be some boats operating by then, our friends are keen to go across to Meis. By the way, where is Yapi Kredi? And the Gempa supermarket? You kindly gave me some eating options but I'm not sure where these landmarks are so I'm having a bit of bother placing them on the map.

Cheers

Sandra

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,332 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Boat trips / hire

I have very little faith in guides, some times I wonder if the writers have ever been to places like Kas or just lifted bits from other earlier guides. I have the latest edition of Lonely Planet and I think that it is quite misleading in places or, at best, very selective in the information it provides. For example, the comments about the very popular Cinarlar restaurant hardly do it, or the extent of its menu, justice and gives a misleading impression of the type of customers who go there.

Whilst it is impossible for a guide such as LP to cover everything, especially in a country like Turkey where things can change so quickly.

As Aslansmum says boats form Kas do not go to Patara and whilst no doubt the occasional one might go as far as Kalkan, it is not a regular route.

You should have no problem going to Meis, the boats go all year round although less frequently in the winter. Some of the expats who live in places such as Fethiye and Calis come to Kas to take the short trip to Meis so that they can renew their 3 month tourist visas.

Neither should you have any problem in finding a boat for private hire although as the season has not fully started the boats are not as active as in summer. I have been on private boat trips in April which have been very pleasant. I know of one boat that will definitely be doing trips by then (PM me if you wish details) but if you go down to the harbour in the late afternoon or early evening and talk to the captains you should be able to arrange something quite easily.

Yapi Kredi bank is on Necip Bey Caddesi (which leads to the ampitheatre and the peninsular) about 25m on the right from the junction with Ataturk Bulvari, it is very easy to find. Genpa is on Ataturk Bulvari on the corner with Cukurbaglilar Caddesi up towards the bus station, again very easy to find.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Kas

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
73 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Boat trips / hire

Thanks Adana,

I agree that the traditional book guides aren't very much use these days, they've sort of outlived their usefulness now that the internet is so widely used and forums like this can provide much more accurate information (thanks to people like you who go to the bother of helping people out). Thanks a lot for the banl and supermarket locations, I'll PM you for the details of the boat hire.

Cheers

Sandra

5. Re: Boat trips / hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 August 2010, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Kas
Recent Conversations