We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Kas very hilly ?

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
729 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Is Kas very hilly ?

Is Kas very hilly and is it less so than Kalkan which I understand has very steep hills ?

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is Kas very hilly ?

Yes it is hilly but definately not as bad as Kalkan.

I must admit it will depend on where you are staying. Some places are only a short walk up hills and others you will need to be a bit fit.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
729 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is Kas very hilly ?

Thank you for your reply Aslans Mum

So where is the village centre, top middle or bottom ?

I am in my 70's and quite fit, but find hills in a hot climate a bit hard, normally they wouldn't bother me too much.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is Kas very hilly ?

Hi yorkiegal,

Had a look at your profile to see the previous questions you may have asked and came accross this post Re: Kalkan or Kas ?

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297964-i1890-k340…

and yes Kas does have some hilly parts as Atagul has pointed out on that post..however if you are still undecided and looking for a smallish resort that is flat..then have a look at Cirali.

Cirali is located in a valley between lovely scenic mountains..and bonus it is right on the seaside.

...if you are flying into the Dalaman airport..then Dalyan would be a great choice ...If flying into the airport at Antalya it sounds like Cirali would be the perfect place for you to relax and inwind... Cirali is a small village located about 1 hours drive southwest from Antalya ( 1.5 hrs from the Antalya airport ) and boasts a beautiful secluded 4 km beach, the ruins of Olympos, the flames of the Chimeara, as well as a protected area by the WWF for the nesting of the Caretta sea turtles.

No mass tourism or 5 star hotels. Small shops, quiet bars, restaurants, and no discos. It is more of a place for nature lovers and chilling out. ..do be advised that Cirali is much smaller than places like Kalkan, Kas and Olu Deniz...and many people have told me that Cirali resembles Kas and Olu Deniz 15 years ago before the influx of package tours..

also you can look at my photos for ideas

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is Kas very hilly ?

The town centre is by the harbour and to get around the town itself it is flat.

My 84 year old Mum had no problems getting around the town itself.

If you could give me an idea of where you will be staying I could give you more advice.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
729 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is Kas very hilly ?

Hi Aslans Mum,

I am just researching Kas at the moment I haven't looked for a place to stay yet but would like somewhere within easy reach of the village, not too big or family orientated.

Pat

Kas
Level Contributor
689 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is Kas very hilly ?

Ah OK

Check out hotels like The Hideaway, The Gardenia, The Nur Beach.

They are all within easy walking distance of the town.

The only hotel that is right in the centre is The Bilgin

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
729 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is Kas very hilly ?

Hi Canmom,

Thank you I will take a look at your photo's.

Pat

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is Kas very hilly ?

Hi Yorkiegal, AslansMum (as always) is giving good advice.

Yes Kas has it's fair share of slopes but the centre around the harbour area inlcuding most of the shops and many of the resturarants is quite flat.

Many of the hotels are situated a little way out of the centre (the majority no more than 10 minutes walking) but plenty would involve no more than a relatively gentle slope that if you are reasonably fit should not be a problem. My mother (now 80) managed very well until she had a stroke a year ago.

The hotels that Aslansmum has suggested involve the least uphill walk but others such as the Hera and Aqua Princess (that you may see in Thomas Cook brochures) are on the same level as the Nur so once you get there no further climb is necessary except within the hotel itself. The Hera has a lift, I am not sure about the others.

Should you need them (for example on a VERY hot day), there are plenty of taxis and they are reasonably priced - we occasionally use them in the summer when we have shopping and we don't fancy walking (believe me, the walk to where stay is considerably higher up than any of the hotels) and we usually pay around 7-8TL (approx £3.5).

If you look at some of my photographs (through my profile page) you may get an idea of the topography of the centre of Kas. If you would like any more information please ask (or PM me for other photographs or details).

Kas is quite a special place, it may not suit everybody, but I know many people who would not consider themselves mountain goats, but who visit regularly and thoroughly enjoy themsleves without any problems.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is Kas very hilly ?

I should also add that the suggestion by Canmom of an 'influx of package tours' is quite misleading.

Despite not being hyped like some other places Kas does cater very well for tourists and fortunately does not have 'mass' tourism nor does it really do the 5* all inclusive stuff. It is quite a laid back and relaxing place without the hassle that is sometimes associated with other, larger resorts and is an excellent base for exploring this area of Turkey, whatever your interests.

Edited: 08 April 2010, 20:57
West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,324 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is Kas very hilly ?

Hi again Yorkiegal

To answer (part of) your question in the 'Kas or Kalkan' thread, Kas has two or three bars that I am aware of where there is frequent live music.

There is a bar/restaurant close to the harbour (opposite the Mercan Restaurant) often has live blues, the restaurant used to be called the Sun (if I remember correctly) but I think has recently changed its name.

There is also a great bar, the 'Deja Vu' a little way up a hill from the harbour (about 50 metres and next to the Teras Restaurant) which often plays bluesey music (not live) and has great views over the harbour, a great place to watch the sunset.

Kas also has a Jazz bar near the centre just behind the main square, I'm not sure if they have live music, but the setting is veryu cosy and relaxed.

The Efendi (again right by the harbour and main square) regularly has a live band, mostly rock (ish) during the summer months and is very popular.

In addition to those I have mentioned there are several others that , as far as I am concerned ( a middle aged rock/blues/jazz fan) are good places to sit and chill out whilst having the odd drink or two and listening to good music without any hassle.

In the summer Kas has a quite a lively yet modest and inoffensive buzz about it, plenty going on but none of it to the extent that it is a problem. I really could do with being there now!

Get answers to your questions about Kas
Recent Conversations