We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomas Cook carry-on question

Which Kas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Berkshire
Level Contributor
595 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Thomas Cook carry-on question

Hi

We're flying with T.C to Dalaman and on to Kas in a couple of weeks.

We have not flown with them before and wondered how strict they are with their carry-on baggage limits??

We have wheelie bags/cases and all of them are around 51/52cm tall, whereas the limit is 43cm. All our recent flights have been scheduled transatlantic to the US,Mexico and Brazil and the allowance is easy going to say the least.

Plus it says you cannot carry on a lady's handbag as well as a travel bag...we don't want to be caught out and yet also don't want to watch countless other travellers lifting their huge bags into the overhead bins and left feeling envious.

So what's the feeling out there??

Cheers!

here&there
Level Contributor
3,103 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomas Cook carry-on question

They were weighing the hand luggage both ways last month... 5kg.

Y'takes yer chances I guess?

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomas Cook carry-on question

I have travelled with Thomas Cook 4 times since last October and each time I had a handbag and hand luggage.

The handbag was a medium size one with a shoulder strap which I put on under my jacket!

I always make sure the hand luggage does not look too big as the check in staff tend to weigh large bags.

Edited: 17 July 2011, 20:47
Kas, Turkey
Level Contributor
166 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomas Cook carry-on question

I guess you found this?

airline-luggage-regulations.com/bagreg.php…

Berkshire
Level Contributor
595 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomas Cook carry-on question

Thanks for the advice everyone...we've decided not to take any chances and we've dug out two old, small rucksacks from the loft and we'll make do!!

Haven't actually carried a bag around airports etc for years...scheduled next year ;-)

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomas Cook carry-on question

Easy Jet have no limit to the weight of carry on bags and are much more generous regarding size too:

www.easyjet.com/en/planning/baggage.html

They do say that you should have only one peice of hand luggage but I have seen people with more than one (eg a handbag as well) board the aeroplane unchallenged.

As an aside, we have found that flights to Antalya (especially with Easyjet) much cheaper than Dalaman this year and whilst the transfer is around an hour longer, the saving in air fare has made it worthwhile

Kas, Turkey
Level Contributor
188 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomas Cook carry-on question

You did not state if you had bought the 20kilo hold luggage allowance. When I travel with Thomas cook I always try to make sure that my hold luggage is under the 20 Kilos & my hand luggage is under the 5 kilo allowance & if they ask yes I can fit my handbag into my carry on bag & yes it is still under 5 kilos. Once you've checked in you can always take the handbag out,

Once I flew with them & I knew I was overweight & said so when I checked in but they let it pass think it depends how full the flight is, but I have seen people have to go & pay for their excess weight.

Berkshire
Level Contributor
595 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomas Cook carry-on question

Wow!! Am I feeling good now!!!

The whole "charter" airline thing seems to encourage the deception gene that lurks within us all...or is it just me?

I should have paid more attention to all those Turkish Airline adverts on TV recently!

London
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomas Cook carry-on question

Hi,

We travelled with TC just over a week ago from Gatwick airport. We were one of the first to check in and although I had put my handbag into my small wheelie suitcase as I had read only one piece of hand luggage was allowed, they did not even ask if we had any hand luggage or ask to check the weight of out hand luggage. Maybe it's because we were so early I'm not sure. But they definitely werent strict with us at all.

Hope that helps!

9. Re: Thomas Cook carry-on question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 01:19
Get answers to your questions about Kas