We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catching the bus

Kas
Level Contributor
25 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Catching the bus

I know there are not really bus stops in Turkey but I always find it curious why people will stand 10m away from where the bus leaves and wait for it to stop rather than sitting inside whilst it is waiting to leave - is anyone able to explain?

Kas, Turkey
Level Contributor
198 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Catching the bus

You don't think they are going to have to walk any further than they have to do you.

They would rather stand & wait for the bus to come to them than walk that extra 10m. That's why they also park so badly as they must be as near to the shop they want so they'd rather double park, park at an angle causing problems for other drivers than walk that little bit further.

Kas, Turkey
Level Contributor
166 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Catching the bus

When Dorothy had just arrived in Oz, she was looking around and awed at the beauty and splendor and said "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas any more. "

Bus stops, in rural areas, are a fairly recent experience for most village folks. They are used to standing on the curb or by the road anywhere they have a view of the oncoming traffic so as to see the next bus. Perhaps that extra 10 m affords them a better view, perhaps they are tired from carrying several kilos of food from the market, perhaps they just like "that spot"? The bus will pick them up anywhere they happen to be standing. This is certainly not the case in Chicago nor in London nor in Istanbul. If you go to Istanbul you will see people using the bus stop because the city buses will not stop except at the bus stops.

In the same way, curbs and regulated parking is seldom enforced in many places in Turkey as it is, for example, in Boston where illegal parking for 10 minutes cost me a tow-away and a 40 dollar fine!! I am sure most cities in the UK are the same. If enforcement was not so rigid, would American or British drivers park so nicely? I doubt it. If I could park next to a fire hydrant in Chicago for 10 minutes and run into a store to do a quick purchase, I probably would without thinking about it. Maybe others are not so inclined...

A long winded answer to your question, I am sure there are other reasons.

3. Re: Catching the bus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Kas
Recent Conversations