We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin facility protest 8th April 2013 Kaş

Which Kas hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Mugla, Turkey
Level Contributor
63 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Dolphin facility protest 8th April 2013 Kaş

There will be another protest in Kaş against the dolphin facility during the day on Monday 8th April. It would be good to get some feedback from locals and those around the Fethiye area if they will/would like to attend. It is also a chance for holiday makers to the area to get involved. More details to follow but rest assured it will be organised in accordance with Turkish law; there will be celebrity involvement and presence on the day and plenty of media coverage too. Would be great to have a good turnout.

Background: two dolphins continue to be kept in a very small facility close to Kaş despite opposition from local people and business owners. Dolphins in captivity die young, assuming they survive the traumatic capture process; to them it is a prison and 53% of dolphins die within 3 months of capture

You can join the Free the Kaş Dolphins Facebook group here...

www.facebook.com/groups/freethekasdolphins

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
14,275 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphin facility protest 8th April 2013 Kaş

Wish you all the luck, I hate to see dolphins in captivitity and it's time the people keeping them realised it's a big turn off for tourists...

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,808 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphin facility protest 8th April 2013 Kaş

mozaik-bahce..thanks for bringing this to our attention again..I do hope that the locals and tourists alike ban together to put a stop to this practice

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,541 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphin facility protest 8th April 2013 Kaş

Thanks for the info Nichola - I thought the one in Kas was closed down last year? Is this the same one - or another one?

Edited: 27 March 2013, 17:04
Kas, Turkey
Level Contributor
2 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphin facility protest 8th April 2013 Kaş

Can as many people as possible please turn out on the 8th.? The mayor of kas promised that there would not be a Dolphin park in kas. Has his promise been broken?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
122 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphin facility protest 8th April 2013 Kaş

Sadly Attagul the hellhole in Kas was given a licence to open last year. 2 dolphins are there in horrendous conditions. It is so good that now as the season approaches people are standing up and saying NO it is wrong and should be closed down. Can people please let anybody in the area know

scotland
Level Contributor
4,080 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolphin facility protest 8th April 2013 Kaş

Wishing you good luck and praying for a good result..I have signed so many peitions on this issue joined your page and shared on my own animal rescue group on face book

Edited: 27 March 2013, 19:36
Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolphin facility protest 8th April 2013 Kaş

Good luck Nichola - knowing how hard you and others fought for Tom and Misa to be released from the Hisarönü site and for their rehabilitation I'm sure the same outcome will happen at Kaş.

London, United...
Level Contributor
6,541 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dolphin facility protest 8th April 2013 Kaş

Yes I must have been getting confused with the 2 poor things in Hisaronu - but I really thought the one in Kas had gone too. What a dreadful shame - sadly I will not be there to attend, but good luck to you all who can make it.

Mugla, Turkey
Level Contributor
63 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dolphin facility protest 8th April 2013 Kaş

Attagul Kaş was closed when Tom and Misha were moved to Hisarönü and then about 18 months ago they moved two dolphins from Bodrum to the old Kaş facility. After much protest they were not given a license so could not open to the public for all of last summer. But, then late last year (in November I think) we heard they had been given a license. Of course there is no business in the winter but the summer season is starting soon. We have to show these people that there is no profit in these facilities. It is the only way to stop them. No customers, no money, no captive dolphins!

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1,988 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dolphin facility protest 8th April 2013 Kaş

This is absolutely terrible!!! What on earth is the mayor of kas thinking of issuing a licence... especially after the bad press and campaign to free tom and misha? :(

Sel

Edited: 27 March 2013, 21:24
Get answers to your questions about Kas
Recent Conversations