We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving from Priene to Kas, stop in Bafa, maybe Dalyan..?

New York
Level Contributor
77 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Driving from Priene to Kas, stop in Bafa, maybe Dalyan..?

Hello, We're driving (in May) from Priene to Kas, and believe that's a 4.5 hour drive.

We're considering late lunch at Bafa Lake.

Deciding: should we overnight in Dalyan & then drive to Kas in the a.m. - I think it's a 2.5 hour drive?

Or should we skip Dalyan and push on from Bafa to Kas?

Thanks so much!

Bodrum
Destination Expert
for Bodrum City
Level Contributor
1,591 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving from Priene to Kas, stop in Bafa, maybe Dalyan..?

In order to take in the ruins of Caunos in Dalyan, I would suggest spending the night. I haven't done the drive lately, but would put it at a bit more than 4.5 hours.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving from Priene to Kas, stop in Bafa, maybe Dalyan..?

hi Naomi_X0,

and welcome to the forums..here is google map that plots your trip from Bafa lake to Kas

http://goo.gl/maps/SUroh

just so that you know its for sure a 2 hr drive from Fethiye to Kas so add on more time if coming from Dalyan..

after Kas what are your plans along the coast ?

New York
Level Contributor
77 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving from Priene to Kas, stop in Bafa, maybe Dalyan..?

Hello & thank you so much. Apologizes for the delay in responding ~

Thank you for the Google Map link (which I cannot for the life of me figure out how to translate!?) - which is visually very helpful.

I thought Dalaman airport to Kas was 2 hours, so I guess it's more like 3! Which is important to know!

Are you saying we should expect to drive 4 hours from Dalyan to Kas? I know I'm being a little stupid here, it's just that I'm getting conflicting info, even from different map sources.

(From Kas, we're planning to chill out by the water & then on our full free day...maybe a boat trip?? Haven't quite figured that out yet. There is an amphitheater to see? A ruin to boat to? Would love to see Olympus if we can. Then we will spend 1 night on Meis).

I so appreciate your help! Thank you.

West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving from Priene to Kas, stop in Bafa, maybe Dalyan..?

You are correct, it is a 2 hour drive from Dalaman to Kas. From Fethiye it is more like 1.5 hours to Kas. I haven't been to Dalyan for many years so am not sure what additional time that will take, but I suspect not more than 30 to 45 minutes.

Olympos is approximately 2 hours east of Kas, not to be confused with Olympos beach which in very near Kas.

There are plenty of boat trips to be had in Kas. When you refer to 'ruins' I presume you are referring to the sunken city of Kekova, destroyed in an earthquake 2000 years ago. This is a day trip from Kas by sea but can also be done easily by car (or local bus) to Üçaĝiz where you can get a small boat to take you around the main sites.

Have fun making your plans

Edited: 26 February 2014, 22:53
West Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
1,327 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving from Priene to Kas, stop in Bafa, maybe Dalyan..?

Sorry, forgot to add that yes there is an amphitheatre in Kas, just to the west of the town centre, a Hellenistic temple and many tombs / sarcophagi in the town and more in the surrounding area.

Plenty to see and do!

New York
Level Contributor
77 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving from Priene to Kas, stop in Bafa, maybe Dalyan..?

Thank you - all very helpful.

If this sounds reasonable... we'll tour Ephesus in the am, then drive an hour to Prieme (tour & lunch), then have a tea at Bafa and arrive for dinner in Daylan, stay the night, and sometime the next day, drive approx. 2.5 hours to Kas.

Do I have this right?

What is a good location to have a snack/stretch between Dalyan - Kas? We like "authentic" places - we're not afraid to wander down a local road & eat simply!

From Kas, we would love to get out on a boat & go.... somewhere ...

Any corrections/suggestions to my notes here are very welcome! Including any favorite Daylan hotel & restaurant (although perhaps that's a question for a different forum). We would like to have a hotel with dining riverside, we can easily walk whatever distance to town, and we like quiet.

Thanks again!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving from Priene to Kas, stop in Bafa, maybe Dalyan..?

<<<What is a good location to have a snack/stretch between Dalyan - Kas? We like "authentic" places - we're not afraid to wander down a local road & eat simply!<<

My recommendation would be check out kaya koyu..might be nice for a stop off along the way to kas for lunch

<<From Kas, we would love to get out on a boat & go.... somewhere ...<

do visit the sunken city of Simena ( kekova ) it is a lovely boat trip that you can take from Kas

Selcuk, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,924 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving from Priene to Kas, stop in Bafa, maybe Dalyan..?

Ephesus (Selcuk) to Priene is an easy drive, and the road onward is fine (past Miletus, incidentally, where you can enjoy the site from a tea house if pressed for time). The section past Lake Bafa is especially beautiful and hopefully much of the road improvement there will be completed by May.

The total distance from Ephesus to Kaş is about 420 km (say 260 miles) and you can average 80 - 90 km / hr or even more. However, the last section, after Fethiye clings to the coast and winds along under the cliffs. You do not want to do that part after a long day visiting sites.

You have had excellent advice: stay in Dalyan, or perhaps Göcek if you really don't want to go far off you route.

Ideally, visit Ephesus the evening before: 4.30 pm is a good time to enter the site in May, and you can stay in until the gendarmerie usher you out at sunset by which time you'll be the only people there. I say this because Priene itself can be quite a tiring place to visit: the climb up to the main area is enough for many of us older tourists. Also, Lake Bafa deserves more time if you want to go along to Herakleia too. I know you can get a fine lunch of fried lake fish there, but I personally always stop at a little "kofteci" on the main road. Look for the "car shower".

New York
Level Contributor
77 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving from Priene to Kas, stop in Bafa, maybe Dalyan..?

Thank you so much for the helpful suggestions. I'm really struggling to make decisions because we're eager to get to Kas. The 4:30 Eph touring advice is excellent.

We're deciding between staying that night in Sirince or perhaps Kirazli. Something peaceful would be appealing.

Then we could do Priene in the a.m. and just maybe make it (slowly) to Kas for dinner?

But I'm taking seriously your point about the later part of the drive, tho' we are in our late 40's with reasonable energy, we'll be jet lagged as well…

There is a very intriguing place called Dikencik Cottages that could be an interesting choice. The more I look into Dalyan, the more commercial-ish it sounds? Although it could be cheery. Hard to tell.

Also considering "Dalya Life" or "The Escape" for the night...

I'm writing down the lunch suggestions, thank you both so very much!

When you say, look for the "car shower" I think you must mean there is a car wash near Bafa & a "kofteci" there?

All best~

The New Forest, UK
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving from Priene to Kas, stop in Bafa, maybe Dalyan..?

"The more I look into Dalyan, the more commercial-ish it sounds?"

Maybe stay at Koycegiz instead - tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g312736-Koycegiz_Mu…

Get answers to your questions about Kas
Recent Conversations