We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wetsuit for swimming in Kas and Cirali

los angeles
Level Contributor
537 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Wetsuit for swimming in Kas and Cirali

I didn't get a reply when I posted on general Turkish Med coast forum. Asking everyone not to laugh,but I found it very cold to swim on the coast when I was there towards end of jUne some years ago. Now I will be in Kas and Cirali first week of June and want to swim in the sea. Thinking of bringing just a shorty wetsuit top. Wondered from others if this is crazy? I think a top only might be a compromise since full wetsuit may be overkill. Any advice?

Thx so much.

Rhone-Alpes, France
Level Contributor
582 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wetsuit for swimming in Kas and Cirali

Hello again Alison. If you found the sea cold at the end of June a few years ago, I would imagine it will be perhaps a little cooler beginning of June and a short wet suit may be a good idea. The sea around Kas has cold springs and some areas are warmer than others. I don't know about Cirali, I'm going there at the end of September. Others, I've discovered, on this forum are more knowledgeable than me on the sea temperatures in this area, it must depend to a degree on the weather at the time. Hope you have a good trip. Anne

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wetsuit for swimming in Kas and Cirali

Hi alison18losangeles,

If you feel more comfortable with bringing the wetsuit top then I would however personally I dont think you will need it in Cirali for June..there have been people swimming in the sea and pools since April of this year..

average water tempuratures right now in cirali will be about 22C and will warm up as the days progress until the summer months..The temperature at the shallow areas near the shore may be a little higher

expect air temps around 25-30C

accuweather.com/en/…

You can see my photos and the historicals sights in Cirali and around Antalya plus other places in Turkey at these pages;

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets

Edited: 28 May 2014, 11:53
England
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wetsuit for swimming in Kas and Cirali

I am the biggest baby ever when it comes to cold water (I have to get into a heated pool one toe at a time).

Yesterday, I jumped in from a boat trip and it was cold, but not as bad as I was expecting it to be and I quickly warmed up.

We went in the sea from Patara beach earlier this week and it was a beautiful temperature - it felt much warmer than the Red Sea last month.

If I can get in - anyone can :)

Enjoy

los angeles
Level Contributor
537 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wetsuit for swimming in Kas and Cirali

To answer my own question, I definitely did need my wetsuit top to swim yesterday. All others swam without wetsuits, but I would have been too cold. It was unseasonably cool and windy.

England
Level Contributor
1,004 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wetsuit for swimming in Kas and Cirali

It must have changed quite a lot. Last week was baking with very little breeze. Glad you had your wetsuit :)

Martinez, California
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Wetsuit for swimming in Kas and Cirali

Thanks for this post, Alison! I will be in Kas and Cirali in September and wondered whether to bring mine, as I get really cold as well. I think I will bring it, just in case!!!

7. Re: Wetsuit for swimming in Kas and Cirali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2015, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Kas
Recent Conversations