If your not sure about visiting Turkey; I highly recommend Kas in the Antalya province.
It's best to take a hire car from Dalaman airport. it's a pretty two hour journey to Kas along the coastline. I warn you it's very hilly and lots of bends , I am glad I did it in a air conditioned hire car, rather than sat on a packed stuffy bus; the price for 4 of us worked out the same for hire car as it was for transport bus, so we benefited.
I have just returned from a week there ( first time in Turkey) and loved it!!!! I read all the horror stories about pushy store owners, dodgy market traders & and thefts from villas.
kas people are very warm and genuinely friendly people. They may be insulted if (like me) you think they are always after something from you. I learnt quickly this is not the case. Warmth is in the nature.
I can only speak as I find, but I felt very safe indeed and it was a wonderful little town with a new Harbour & Marina. The restaurants are vibrant, family friendly and centred around the small town square, with Harbour to the south with lots of boat trips on the Mediterranean Sea, snorkelling and swimming trips in the turquoise bays &coves.
We stayed in villa on the peninsula (Hotel District). A hire car is a must if your staying there, as it's 3km from main town centre. There are small mini buses called Dolmus running every hour, but with hire car prices being reasonable, it also gives you the chance to explore the area.
The Hellenistic Theatre on the Peninsula is an amazing site. 1st century BC. Theatre built out of stone, try to be there at sunset... With a camera.
1. Learn basic manners, words & phrases in Turkish. The locals seem to respond positively to anyone who tries and they recognise the effort.
2. Always barter on price. Bartering is a way of life in Turkey. ( be prepared to and DO walk away if the price is not what you want to pay) they will stop you or go lower if they see you actually walking away. There are always other stalls or stores if they won't barter)
3. Only use bottled water. Kas has 5 small supermarkets and 5ltr water is just over 3TL (£1 ish), so a BARGAIN.
4. BE AWARE driving in Kas is different to what you may expect. Traffic can be very fast, mopeds everywhere and not always on their correct side of the road, people walk across the road without looking, be MORE VIGILANT. After two days it felt normal.
5. Take a boat trip and swim in the turquoise ocean. It's unique!
6. take in the small town, the square packed with good restaurants.
I can't wait to return...