We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Choosing a hotel in Side

Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Choosing a hotel in Side

We have been to turkey 9 times now, mainly oludeniz, icmeler hisaronu & bodrum (many yrs ago)

We would like to try side for next yr but want to check its for us

1. we like fairly large hotels having a boisterious 8 yo to entertain during the day we wouldn't be accepted at a relaxing small hotel LOL!

2. what are the beaches like, i know the others we have been to are like cat litter or rough with large pebbles.

3. we don't want to stay in our hotel of an evening, we prefer to make the most of turkey lovely restaurants and go for a walk around shops of an evening.

can you recommend some hotels to look at please.

Thanks

Woking, United...
Destination Expert
for Side
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Choosing a hotel in Side

I have also visited those places you have seen in Turkey but consider Side the absolute best of all. I hope you will too. As you probably know, the season when the swimming pools are open is from 1st April to end October each year. Often the sea is even warmer than the pools! It is the 2nd longest white sandy beach in Turkey with no creepy crawlies, and slowly shelving with no steep drops so you will be find with an 8 yr old. I have never seen cat litter there or large pebbles, just lovely soft sand.

You can walk everywhere in Side and don't need a car. The dolmus system there is excellent.

5 star Side hotels(1) Hemera Resort & Spa Hotel (2) Arum Hotel (3) Sunrise Queen Hotel (4) Asteria Hotel

4 star Side hotels (1) Acanthus Hotel in Side (2) Cennet Hotel in Side (3) Club Paradiso Resort Hotel in Side (4) Trendy Hotels in Side (5) Hotel Side Star

(6) Defne Garden Hotel in Side (7) Defne Star Hotel in Side

They are all good, big hotels and each one has something different to offer. As you have time, I suggest you check the Reviews here on each before making your decision. Hemera (5 star) and Side Star (4 star) are within a few minutes walk of Old Town Side. Also be careful - some ONLY do All Inclusive and I see that is not what you are looking for. I agree with you that B&B gives you more flexibility and time to try out all the little nearby restaurants and in Old Town by the harbour.

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Side
Side
Manavgat, Turkey
Club Paradiso Resort
Club Paradiso Resort
259 Reviews
Alanya, Turkey
Side Star Resort
Side Star Resort
381 Reviews
Gundogdu, Turkey
Defne Garden
Defne Garden
46 Reviews
Manavgat, Turkey
Defne Star Hotel
Defne Star Hotel
88 Reviews
Side, Turkey
Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Choosing a hotel in Side

I would reccomend the Arum. The previous poster reccomended the Hemera as being closer to Side, but these hotels are less than a five minute walk apart, so there is not much difference!

We first went to the Arum in August/September 08, it took us 2.5 days after landing to book again. We went for the last two weeks of July. 4 hours after landing we started pricing up fr om brochures, and ringing several travel agents. We have booked again for next year. It is a wonderful hotel, and we can't wait to be back.

The resort is also wonderful, and the best one we have stayed in. Although we will not be going to the Arum, we hope to get a cheap booking for October half term.

Mentioned in this post
Side
Side
Manavgat, Turkey
Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Choosing a hotel in Side

WOW! Angela, you do know your stuff about Side don't you! LOL!

I have looked at the majority of the hotels you have mentioned and they all seem to be either AI or HB which is not want we want sadly. otherwise the type of hotel is perfect and look gorgeous, shame they dont do BB!

We only ever go BB but would consider SC if the hotel was right. There are a few coming up on the First Choice website, for example what do you think about the pasha star, hanay suit & Lemas apts. i cant seem to find reviews on them on holidaytruths reviews

Is side seperated into new & old towns??

Mentioned in this post
Side
Side
Manavgat, Turkey
Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Choosing a hotel in Side

clo clo

friends of friends always go to the arum, they say its fabulous, unfortunately its out of our league & we don't want AI or HB, isn't it lovely when you find a place that you instantly want to go back to the minute you land back in the UK! enjoy your half term hol!

Woking, United...
Destination Expert
for Side
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Choosing a hotel in Side

No, Side does not have a new and old town really; it is all old and cutesy but the area some people call Antic Side or Old Town Side is the main area to go for - ruins - amphitheatre - harbour - turtles - Apollo Temple - little bars and restaurants tucked within the ruins and on the harbour's edge. A small tractor train will take you in from the Otogar (Side bus station) which any dolmus around the area will go to.

Did you check out the Hanay website = www.hanaysuitotel.com which gives a good summary. It is next door to the wonderful Cihan restaurant and across the road from the A101 shop that all the Turks do their shopping at for cornflakes, shampoo, milk, and basics - a chain of them throughout Turkey. 15 minute walk to the beach and down a steep hill (so up a steep hill back!) but a good area and WONDERFUL fresh veggie shop just up the road from it + The Crown restaurant nearby which is excellent (next door to Side Riviera Properties).

Quote from a review about Lemas Apts "The hotel was was 3 miles from Town and in the middle of nowhere , if I would have known that I would not have booked this hotel the dirt road it is on was pitch black at night so had no choice to get taxis back from Town costing between £5- 7.50 per time this added a lot of cost on my holiday as you can imagine for 14 days."

Quote from review of Gazipasa Pasha Hotel "When i first arrived in Turkey I was transported by a mini bus to my first hotel Gazi Pasha Star in Side, DO NOT GO THERE ..."

My friend 'denwardie' knows Side as well as I do and has stayed at the Hotel Lale Park (see his review) which is in an excellent position actually in the Old Town of Side. It has a pool and gardens too.

Or look at Truva Hotel on this site for very good rates and best beach area of Side, with a pool and fab restaurant right on the beach - 20 mins walk into Old Town along the beach from there. Next door is Alremu Restaurant with free belly dancing and traditional Turkish dancing on a Friday night.

Or if you would like to be on the beach and just 5 mins walk to Old Town and even try ostrich meat from their farm! then try Tropic Apart Hotel which is the very first one here ...www.tropical.com.tr ...they also do very interesting excursions from there that your 8 yr old might like to the Ostrich Farm in Manavgat that also has llamas, donkeys and pigs (Yes, fresh bacon and sausages!). You can ride all the farm animals there and have a very 'local' day out.

Mentioned in this post
Side
Side
Manavgat, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Manavgat
Manavgat
Antalya Province, Turkey
Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
224 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Choosing a hotel in Side

Have you looked at the safari suit? We visit Side regularly and this hotel is just down the road from our aparmtent, there are plenty restaurants nearby and it is a short walk to the beach and old town. It has always struck me as looking like a decent place from the outside and it's in a nice area, there are 3 positive reviews....it mght be worth considering. The beach at the east of Side is really nice and never busy when we have been,lovely long stretch of beach with fine sand.

Hope you find something, good luck.

Jens

Mentioned in this post
Side
Side
Manavgat, Turkey
Stevenage, United...
Level Contributor
52 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Choosing a hotel in Side

Hanay suit hotel is the only one so far that I think will suit our needs and our budget, will come back Xmas time and see if we can manage to get a free child place. thats when i managed to get ours through FC for this holiday

Other hotels either didn't have a big enough pool or were AI or HB. Think this one might fit the bill.

Thanks for all your advice you seem to know it all LOL! <3

Mentioned in this post
Hanay Suit Hotel
Hanay Suit Hotel
312 Reviews
Side, Turkey
Northamptonshire
Level Contributor
166 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Choosing a hotel in Side

Enjoy yourself!

Glasgow
Level Contributor
798 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Choosing a hotel in Side

I stayed at Hanay Suit in June/July, if you wish to know anything just ask. If i go back to Side I'll defo stay there again, it was clean, comfy beds, large pool, on site restaurant was well priced, walking distance to the beach and harbour. Just PM me for anything you wish to know and i'll see what I can do, i've a heap of photos of everything you could ask for just havent uploaded them all to bore everyone to tears.

Mentioned in this post
Hanay Suit Hotel
Hanay Suit Hotel
312 Reviews
Side, Turkey
Side
Side
Manavgat, Turkey
Glasgow
Level Contributor
798 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Choosing a hotel in Side

Oh, forgot to say I booked with Travel republic and it was much cheapness for the holiday compared to first choice - we compared prices with other pepople in the complex and we got the best bargin considering we flew from glasgow which is always more expensive. 13 nights was £86 cheaper each than 14 nights so consider that as an option when checking your prices out, one day is no big deal eh?!

Get answers to your questions about Side
Recent Conversations