We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help!! Is Side the right resort for us????????

west midlands
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help!! Is Side the right resort for us????????

Hello, would appreciate your help. We are a family of 4 (kids aged 12 and 8). We went to Turkey for the first time last year (OLU DENIZ) and absolutely loved it. We would like to try Turkey again but a different resort and have been looking at Side. Will we be disappointed after going to Olu or is Side still scenic with a nice beach and town?? Also am a bit put off by the comments that it is a "German" resort - is this true as we don't want to feel in the minority. Also what are the best all inclusive hotels that cater for kids and are in a good position for town (and have english people)?? Also, is it expensive in comparison to the rest of turkey when purchasing goods?? Sorry to ask so many questions but want to make sure it ok as we only go away once a year. Thanks.

UNITED KINGDOM
Level Contributor
4,142 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help!! Is Side the right resort for us????????

Side is undergoing a lot of construction at the moment Lanza-hottie.

See other threads on this subject. I'm going to Royal Dragon in July but it is in Colakli.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
2,471 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help!! Is Side the right resort for us????????

WHat time of year are you thinking about? I was understood that the building work would be completed by early April?

west midlands
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help!! Is Side the right resort for us????????

Hi to be honest I am looking for May 2011 as we have already booked for this year now. We want a nice hotel that is a good standard 4 or 5 star but reasonably priced and as said, has english people there. Have nothing against germans but don't want to feel in the minority. Also would like hotel close to town as reading some of the hotel descriptions, they are out of town. Olu Deniz felt quite an upmarket resort and the beaches were stunning but we don;t want to go back to the same resort again. I know I am asking for a lot but you want to get it right when you go on holiday don't you???

Have been looking aat Sentido Perissia, Hotel Side Star and Hemera resort, all look lovely????

middlesbrough
Level Contributor
387 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help!! Is Side the right resort for us????????

Hi there

Last year we stayed at the SideStar Beach hotel and although the hotel was fine it was very German orientated and we also found all the trips we went on to be the same and thought that we missed out by not understanding what was going on,i dont mind not understanding turkish but far too german for us,saying that Side is a beautiful part of Turkey just not for us.

Herts
Level Contributor
488 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help!! Is Side the right resort for us????????

I was at Sentido Perissia last July , Great hotel , so good have booked another holiday in Turkey for this year ( Barut Lara in Lara Beach).

First week more Scottish visitors , schools break up earlier. Hotel had a good portion of English guests.

I personally found Side a disappointment, the steep high street was as crowded as Oxford St on a hot day. Shops ALL sold the same items . T-shirts

Jeans and bags. Get off the main road and things were better.

leicester
Level Contributor
95 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help!! Is Side the right resort for us????????

hi,

we have just returned from Side and whilst we are slightly older ,we have spent a few holidays in OLU DENIZ and could give you some comparisons.

Side; at present undergoing some changes which should be completed by May 1st;shops, bars /restaurants/roman ruins/harbour;slightly smaller than Olu Deniz,in our opinion.(Have not seen it in summer)Is on a promotory with lovely sandy beaches either side.

The hotels seem to be out of town,and you would need to get a dolmus to get there unlike Olu Deniz where the hotels are in the town.

We have just returned from two weeks in the Sentido Perissia which is on the beach and if the Prom. is completed on time has a beautiful frontage and beach area.

In the hotel from Mehmet at reception to the any of the cleaners all the staff are superb,and when we went on the guided tour children have there own pool area ,slides.snack bar,play rooms etc.It looked ideal for children,but as we there in winter it was obviously different,but would recommend the Perissia.

As regard German/english ratio it depends who books when but the majority of turkish people very good english speak english as well

Hope this helps

Regards

leicester
Level Contributor
95 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help!! Is Side the right resort for us????????

hi,

we have just returned from Side and whilst we are slightly older ,we have spent a few holidays in OLU DENIZ and could give you some comparisons.

Side; at present undergoing some changes which should be completed by May 1st;shops, bars /restaurants/roman ruins/harbour;slightly smaller than Olu Deniz,in our opinion.(Have not seen it in summer)Is on a promotory with lovely sandy beaches either side.

The hotels seem to be out of town,and you would need to get a dolmus to get there unlike Olu Deniz where the hotels are in the town.

We have just returned from two weeks in the Sentido Perissia which is on the beach and if the Prom. is completed on time has a beautiful frontage and beach area.

In the hotel from Mehmet at reception to the any of the cleaners all the staff are superb,and when we went on the guided tour children have there own pool area ,slides.snack bar,play rooms etc.It looked ideal for children,but as we there in winter it was obviously different,but would recommend the Perissia.

As regard German/english ratio it depends who books when but the majority of turkish people very good english speak english as well

Hope this helps

Regards

shropshire
Level Contributor
235 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Help!! Is Side the right resort for us????????

I am going to be really honest with you before you spend your hard earned cash. Side ia a very nice resort but is prediminately German. Everything is priced in Euros. You do not get the same banter in the shops or at the market like you do in Olu. We stayed at the Hemera last year and it is an excellent hotel on the whole. The only negatives being evening entertainment not really geared towards Brits and the chaotic dining room where you had people coming at you from all directions. By the second day I was really regretting not going back to Olu Deniz but having said that we are trying the Bodrum peninsular this year. Olu will still be there in a year or two if I feel like going back.

west midlands
Level Contributor
45 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help!! Is Side the right resort for us????????

Thanks, that really helps. Were you disappointed with Side though afer going to Olu Deniz? and can you get the usual turkish bath, boat trips, as in Olu Deniz. Regarding the Sentido Perissia, is there anywhere to walk at night as I understand it is out of the town? even though it is all inclusive, we still like to explore on an evening. Also, what was the entertaininment on an evening like and would it be suitable for the kids? Did you have trouble with AI wristbands like I have read on some posts with people not having ice cream or branded drinks available.

Thanks again.

Herts
Level Contributor
488 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help!! Is Side the right resort for us????????

Quote ..Regarding the Sentido Perissia, is there anywhere to walk at night as I understand it is out of the town?

Yes its out of town , road is fairly rough and dark , at the end is a few shops ,

nice for one evening but really thats it.

Walk along the beach is great, all hotels lit up.

Entertainment was ok for kids , animation team as good as I have seen.

Icecream available only for a limited time , but that had its good side. Broke up the afternoon , when steady stream of all ages went to collect .

Branded drinks .... don't know , I'm on holiday , will try something new.

Edited: 15 February 2010, 15:52
Get answers to your questions about Side
Recent Conversations