We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just came back from side

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
130 reviews
Save Topic
Just came back from side

We have just came back form a week in sidem staying at voyage sorgun, ive wrote a review of this hotel is anyone wants to look it up .I found side old town very nice and loved the ruins, but I didnt like the prices of things to buy. We went to manavgat market and i couldnt believe how exepenisive things, were, stall holders wanted 25 euros for fake ed hardy t shirts, 50 euros for the same in a shoe, fleeces, ,about 35.I spent £100 just on 4 t shirts and a belly dancing wrap for my daughter,The bus fare alone was ten lira just to get there.I could have laughed when they said cheaper than asda or primark, they have no idea, they are a lot more than those thats for sure, everthing is marked in euros but they will take lira, but you still get charged the shame,I think £25 for a fake t shirt isnt cheap at all.Those gorgeous lamps are also very expensive and there are not many bargains to be had really.

East Anglia
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Just came back from side

I can see from your note you used Euro to buy things, if you went out for a meal did you use Euros, £ or lira. I am going to Side in August and wondered what currency to take. Were things priced in Euro, £ or lira in shops. Any advice on what shops etc expect would help. thanks.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just came back from side

No I used lira all the time, its was someone else who I was speaking to that used euros, but everywhere we went things were priced in euros, so if if was 25 euro for a t shirt its double that in lira.I got my money exchanged before i went and just got a little extra while i was there.Meals out are very expensive according to what ive been told. so be carefull, dont get stunge like the others person on here who went for ameal in the harbour and as usual no prices an then was forced to pay up when they didnt realalise what they had been charged more for.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just came back from side

DurhamHazey...thanks for coming back to the forums and posting a quick trip report.

Now I have a question for you ...as this was your first trip to Turkey..what was your impression of your holidays in Side and would you return back to Turkey for another holiday ??

as for the markets..sorry to say but when you are going to a touristy place that caters for package holidays...whether it be Side, Kemer, or any othe many similar resorts that line the Antalya coastline..this is quite commom

too bad you did not travel to antalya for shopping..I think you would have found the prices cheaper..but again any big tourist area would have prices a bit higher than the non-touristy or more local places to shop.

for example I never recommend the Monday market in Kemer...and if anyone wants to shop I always recommend they travel that little bit extra and go to Antalya..or you need to visit a market that is for the locals and not the tourists..

and BTW those lovely little lamps are the cheapest in Istanbul located in the Grand Bazaar...even in Antalya they are not as cheap as they are there.

The member Toady, her family and mine had a day together a couple of weeks back where I showed her more the real Turkey.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just came back from side

I also wanted to add we had lunch just outside of the Aspendos theater just a bit into the village at a local gozleme pancake place..4 efes, 2 cokes, 6 gozleme pancakes and the total for 6 persons was only 48 liras so 24 euros..plus I added 5 liras for a tip..the local owners there were so greatful

they gave us a huge bag of oranges and lemons.

also I wanted to say that I would never or very rarely ever visit a restaurant that did not have a menu..and one in turkish liras..not euros or GBPs...if you go to a restaurant ask to see a menu..if they dont then leave and walk aways to find one that does..I cant stand double standard pricing that often happens in larger resorts.

Edited: 15 April 2010, 14:42
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just came back from side

Canmom, the answer to your question is no, I wont be going back, and thats mainly donw to cost. I always though turkey was as cheap as chips as they say, but I was wrong. And its a bit of a pain when you get asked to go inside everyshop you go past.We went to manavgat but i was impressed with that as its just another city, and and its that big it would be very easy to get lost.Plus the bus fares where not cheap either, the agiain getting a taxi was ridicualous, when we went to side market which it is not ofcourse, we looked at taxi bored and the wanted 25 euros just to go back into sorgun which was a only a few miles away, I think 25 pounds for a quck taxi ride is shocking, the words ripp off comes to mind.

To me greece is better, but we love florida the most and dont intend to go bac to europe as its to boring for us, plus you need a mortgage just to have some fun days out.

THE one thing i will say thats the waiters in our hotel were the best yet, so nice to us and it was like they meant it, but price is everything isnt it, to ost people at least. so for value for money, florida is better for us.I still had a nice time though, but it could have been better.I had a good old chuckle though when a shop keeper wanted to buy me for 5 camels, lol, honestly.

And also many shop keepers said come look at my rubbish, what on earth is that suposed to mean.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just came back from side

DurhamHazey ..thanks for coming back and giving your honest opinion...and this is excatly the problem that I have with package tours to Turkey...very often the traveller will never come back to Turkey after given the false impression of the country by one resort..

Trust me there are many other better places to visit in Turkey..more beautiful in scenery and not that pushy overbearing hassle, and cheaper... etc..

I myself even though living here in Turkey for over 14 years..do not like Side for that reason..I cant stand the banter back and forth...."come here and look at this".."come here and eat here"..etc etc..its too stressful for me....because I dont get that here in antalya....even in my recent trip to Istanbul in December it was not as bad as Side in shopkeeper hassle.

and I do hope that Toady will post here trip report of the day out we had in antalya and the impression she had of antalya :=)) as she will offer you a difference outlook than myself as a resident.

BTW...I do like florida too ( have relatives there ) but it is too flat !!!! no scenery :=)

If you have a look through my photos you will see a different Turkey through my eyes..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/canmom/sets

also have a read here;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293969-i367-k3540…

sorry to say this but you visited the wrong resort.....and if you can find a cheap flights only to Antalya... book a DIY trip to smaller less touristy areas in Turkey and you will have a much better time....but you wont find 5 star all-inclusive hotels...but you will see the real Turkey and the Turkey that many have fallen in love with..and come back year after year..

Turkey is a large country and offers much more to offer in history and culture.. than just one resort like Side..

Edited: 15 April 2010, 15:26
Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just came back from side

"And also many shop keepers said come look at my rubbish, what on earth is that suposed to mean."

that is just their stupid banter..to get you into their shop..and they think that they are being funny..sorry to say they have no salesmenship quailities...that is why when I shop .... I go to the larger departments stores and shopping malls..for me being Canadian this is what I am use too and I enjoy the fact to park my car..leisurely and relaxing do my shopping or even window shopping..whithout anybody in my face.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just came back from side

I guess the feeling that im going to be ripped off was more present in turkey, I went to get money out from one of those little places that said cash machine and when i got it i handed my card over asked for the amount etc, and i just felt like oooh im i doing the right thing, ive checked when i got back though and nothing else has been taken, but you never know do you.The reason we like florida so much is because they all speak english, the food the parks, water parks and shopping, Its like you fel more secure there, if you know mean. I just dont think europe is for us anymore, i get bored to easy, and we had our mum there which made it hard to go see other stuff as she is very slow and you have to stay with her all the time as she would get lost, so thats didnt help,lol.Nice pics by the way

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,637 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just came back from side

Hi Durhamhazey

Shame you went to Side for your first visit to Turkey.

It gives the wrong impression of the Turkish people who are really nice and not like those shop keepers in Side!

We had a fabulous day with canmom and even walking around in a big city like Antalya we did not have the hassle and constant pressure to go in to shops! Yes the odd look at this or that but nothing uncomfortable! At the harbour there was abit of come on my boat but again you just walked away if they had not got the trip you were wanting and no bother!

Canmom took us to Aspendos and like she said we stopped at the gozleme place and just 2 ladies so pleased to have us use their simple road side eatery! It was one of the highlights of a fabulous day out! These people were not wealthy yet gave away a bag full of fresh oranges and lemons!

We do only go AI and can budget for our holiday but are planning on seeing the real turkey next year! One week AI and one week staying in a small village. We want to see the turtles hatching and experience something new! After our taster day we cannot wait! Another thing when we needed a toilet break we pulled up at a garage and used nice modern toilets without having to buy petrol there! They even had the most hygienic toilets with something I have never seen before but you press a button and the plastic seat cover rotates round for the next user!!

Side I have to say is the worst place we have been to for hassle.

In Bodrum we could walk about freely and you may get asked to go in to a bar etc but they do that in Greece! We stopped going there several years ago after a rip off week on HB there and when they had gone over to euros and everything shot up!

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just came back from side

"I guess the feeling that im going to be ripped off was more present in turkey,"

you mean going to be ripped off more present in Side..again not all places in Turkey are like this one resort..but you need to be away from package tours...and very touristy areas.

"I went to get money out from one of those little places that said cash machine and when i got it i handed my card over asked for the amount etc, and i just felt like oooh im i doing the right thing,"

never heard of this and I would only use an ATM from a register bank in Turkey...was this a money exchange office perhaps..called a DOVİZ ??

"The reason we like florida so much is because they all speak english, the food the parks, water parks and shopping"

that reminds me of a cute story when we where shopping in a mall in florida..everyone spoke to us in Spanish..and even one shop keeper selling sandels could not even speak any english to us..lol..I had to brush off my old spanish from years back..and my spanish is pretty bad..pretty much everywhere we went in Miami we got spoken to in Spanish first then english..but you are right in Orlando we did not have that problem..

hmm another interesting story about getting ripped off in florida..at the hotel we stayed at in Orlando ( you can read my review ) we got ripped off 40 dollars for Seaworld tickets from the concierge desk in the hotel...and they told us we could not buy them any cheaper at the gate..well got to the gate and found yes we could have for 5 dollars each less than we had paid for them..so for 8 people it was 40 dollars more than what we really needed to pay....and you know how much the entrances costs are into the theme parks..almost 100 dollars a day per person..we spent 2 nights in Orlando and visited 4 parks...and I will never do 2 parks in one day again..but our kids loved it and the rides.

we thought it would be easier as to not have to wait at the gate while purchasing tickets like Magic Kingdom..and when we got to Seaworld there where no lines what so ever..so live and learn for us..

so dont brush off the entire country of Turkey and its many wonders over one town..and the experiences you had in Side....but I can understand what you are saying...perhaps another time in the future you can give it a try but try somewhere else instead..

thanks and glad you liked my photos..that is my hobby..but I love to show the beauty of the country..and the places nearby to where I live...

your review had not yet been posted...how was the hotel ??? you stayed at ..

Get answers to your questions about Side