We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Side in July

Scotland
7 posts
Save Topic
Side in July

Hi,

Going to Iz Flower Side Beach Hotel in side with family, looking at topics below it's scaring me a bit. Is this a good hotel?

Side seems to be a tourist "rip off"" and Antalya seems to be better for shopping, is this correct? Can anyone advise how far from side to Antalya? Taxi costs to get there? Also, I have a flex card are there plenty bank machines around Side? And, hopefully I'll use flex card for best rate but if not what is the best currency to take?

Any comments appreciated.

Widnes
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Side in July

Kerjak,

Antalya is about 50 mins away from Side and would cost you a fortune in Taxi's. Banking in Side is fine. Use Turkish Lira. Side is not a rip off it's ths same as any other tourist destination, if not better. I can't advise you on your hotel as I have never stayed there.

But I think you will really enjoy your stay in Side. But then again I'm biased I go there as often as I can.

Be careful in July it is extremely hot, make sure the kids take on plenty of water.

Herts
Level Contributor
488 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Side in July

Quote Banking in Side is fine. Use Turkish Lira

Fine if you go often to Side . But as a first time tourist , doing the standard touristy things ...... most items are displayed in Euros.

Scotland
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Side in July

Thanks for the info. From replies looks like I should be ok taking bank card and some cash for first couple of days.

One last thing, do you get a better exchange rate over there? i.e. should I take Sterling and exchange over there, or, just take lira? I also assume it must be English notes not Scottish?

I'll make sure kids drink plenty water and ther Dad will drink plenty lager to keep up with them.

Thanks again for info.

Luxembourg
Level Contributor
5,548 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Side in July

You can check the hotel reviews here on TA.

I you are looking to buy copied designer clothes etc. you can also do this at the Manavgat markets, this is the large town near Side and a short inexpensive dolmus ride away, but nothing beats the hustle and bustle of the shops in old Side.

Side to Antalya city centre by taxi will cost you 120-140 Turkish Lira one way. There are plenty of ATM in Side, Manavgat and Antalya. You may want to take English Sterling and change to Turkish Lira when there.

Like Big John says, there is noting wrong with Side. Lovely place and many people go there year after year. There also seems to be an increase of British visitors lately.

(name change) tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g297968-d6…

Edited: 11 May 2010, 20:19
Scotland
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Side in July

Thanks for replies, sounds good and feeling a bit more confident about trip.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers,

Kerjak.

canal side
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Side in July

Hi

You can get a bus to Antalya from Side either from the bus terminal or by the Tractor stop (you will know what that is when you get there) the bus cost me 8 Lira last July. Manavgat market is good for shopping and it is closer than Antalya.

Cirali / Antalya
Destination Expert
for Antalya, Cirali
Level Contributor
12,893 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Side in July

Take the bus from Side / Manavgat to Antalya

MANAVGAT SEYAHAT Manavgat

e-yasamrehberi.com/otobus_firmalari/manavgat…

here is where they pick up and drop off passengers..ending up at the Antalya bus station ( Otogar )

Manavgat Doğu Garajı, Manavgat Tüm Durakları, Side Yol Kavşağı, Total Kavşağı, Ilıca, Evrenseki, Çolaklı, Peri, Gündoğdu, Sarısu, Hocalar, Belenköy Taşağıl, Çakış, Serik, Belek, Kadriye, Kocayatak, Aksu,

Tedaş Kavşağı, Hal Kavşağı, Düden Kavşağı, Antalya Otogar

In Antalya, the public bus system is the best method of getting to most areas of Antalya. It is not necessary to rent a car or taxi. The public transportation options in Antalya are efficient, inexpensive and convenient

www.antalya.org/listingview.php?listingID=161

Widnes
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Side in July

Disagree...............Lira is the national currency............... so surely using a little noggin you would think they would use Lira!

Herts
Level Contributor
488 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Side in July

I take it your comment was directed at me?

Discussion has gone on for months , do some research on this site.

Lira is the Turkish currency , we don't argue over that .

But 'touristy ' items ... such as Taxi fares displayed outside 5 star hotels

or fake t -shirts ( if that is your thing )

or how many socks can you buy for 5 Euro's ,displayed in Euro's.

Buy bog roll in a supermarket , priced in Lira.

Mehmetmuku well respected poster on this site , who used to work at the

Sentido Perissia and actually lives in Side .

Cant beat that as a informed source , agrees that 'most' touristy items are now displayed in the Euro.

It may not make sense to many , but its a fact.

Widnes
Level Contributor
73 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Side in July

Not getting into a debate over this. All I'm saying is in my experience and the many people I know who permanently live in the place think that the Euro is only used as an alternative currency. If the truth be known the Turkish business men / women I know would take duckett 's if it was legal tender but would always prefer to be payed in lira because of exchange transactions.

So it's Lira for me everytime.

You also stand a better chance of getting a reduced price as you can always say your becoming a resident the Euro is a bit of a give away that your a tourist.

Good luck in your future ventures.

Get answers to your questions about Side