We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Turkish lira or Euros?

Northumberland UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Turkish lira or Euros?

Which is best to take with us on holiday to Side? Lira or euros?

Herts
Level Contributor
488 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Turkish lira or Euros?

This topic has been covered extensively in the past few months. We all have our own answers. My view , not always agreed with.Staying in an Ai hotel If you do touristy 'things' like take taxis , buy souvenirs and buy drinks in the bigger bars everything is marked in the Euro.. If you are self catering, sampling the smaller restaurants etc The Lira might well be a better bet.

I visited Side last year , spent £150 in Euros and only £15 in Liras.

(the wonder of a good Ai hotel)

Northumberland UK
Level Contributor
34 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Turkish lira or Euros?

we are half board! Think I might take a bit of both. Would you say more euros than lira then? its funny thought I was avoiding a place with the euro too

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Turkish lira or Euros?

You can avoid a place with the euro midgetgem. Simply don't take any!! Lira is the national currency and accepted everywhere. The euro is simply worth more to shopkeepers etc. so they would prefer you to use this. But just ask for the price in lira. You'll have no problems.

Plus remember if you use euros you will be given your change in lira, making it more difficult to work out exchange rates etc.

I would recommend take a small amount of lira for the first day or so and then change your sterling into lira while in the resort (you'll get a better rate).

Herts
Level Contributor
488 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Turkish lira or Euros?

The euro is simply worth more to shopkeepers etc. so they would prefer you to use this.

This may well be true , but the prices are displayed in the Euro.

So if you are comfortable to see the displayed price in one currency , not sterling and then mentally convert to yet a third currency. !!

You say you are on half board , I thinking it depends on how much you are going to buy on essentials rather than the luxury items.

A number of posters suggest taking sterling ,then converting to the Lira when in Turkey. That may be easy and correct if you are in Side (town) but I was in a 5*

ai hotel a taxi ride away from a ATM. Any extra gained but wiped out by the taxi fare. Of course I could have used the local bus , cheap as chips . But when the temp hits the high 30 or the low 40's , being fair skinned , do I really want to wait for a bus!

lancashire
Level Contributor
2,761 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Turkish lira or Euros?

Hiya midgetgem

I have stayed in Side 3 times always 5* UAI and your currency is still the same as if you were staying in a B&B.......................it will still spend, you will still get your change in Lira, and should you choose, you can just use sterling?....Even more confused????

Take £50 in Lira to get you thru the first couple of days, for water at the airport, a newspaper or 2, and to get the basics and to see how the land lies.

Take the rest in Sterling, and should you feel the need, change into Lira, it is a better rate in Turkey, not by much, but a little extra in your pocket.

Should you feel you have no need to change your sterling, then you still have the spending power to get what you want, your change will be in lira, so you can jump on the local Dolmus, so much fun, and cheap as chips

You will see most prices displayed in Euros', but the shopkeepers will happily convert for you, and regardless of what you pay in, your change will be in Lira..........................It is a minefield sometimes, you hear so many different things, but, we have stayed in many many hotels, not only in Side, Belek and Antalya, but all over Turkey, we have always taken Sterling,plus a few lira for the first couple of days, and never ever had a problem

The airports are all priced in Euros, their prices are pure extortion, but, again they will convert into any currency..................

Hope this helps

Have a wonderful holiday,

DLV

Henderson, Nevada
Level Contributor
122 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Turkish lira or Euros?

It does not matter if the prices are displayed in Euros. You don't need to mentally convert them to a 3rd currency as suggested!!

Simply ask the shopkeeper the price in Lira. They will be more than happy to do so.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
9 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Turkish lira or Euros?

I took sterling and changed it to Lira as and when needed it. You get a much better rate in Turkey than at home. Also agree your price with the shopkeeper in Euro, then tell him you want to pay in Lira, he just doubles the figure. This means you pay less due to the conversion rate, it makes your spending money go further.

Dorchester, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Turkish lira or Euros?

We came back from Side a couple of weeks ago. Took mostly Lira, some Stirling and a few Euros. And used mostly Lira! As already said Shopkeepers will convert from/to lira/euros if asked.

Prices at the airport "duty free" were not cheap - either in lira or euros! Probably cheaper to buy on the plane or on the way out if you're looking at perfume or cosmetics.

Food and drink prices at Antalya far from cheap either.

Enjoy Side, we stayed at the Cennet and liked it, hope you do too!

Edited: 10 June 2010, 13:12
Glasgow
Level Contributor
799 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Turkish lira or Euros?

Worked out some money rates today, i've posted this before but i've updated the values for 2010.

Exchange rates off internet 10/06/10

£1 = 2.209 TL

Euro 1 = 1.925 TL

£1 = Euro 1.17

Euro 1.17 = 2.253 TL

What they do in Side is double the euro to get the TL price so

£1 = Euro 1.17 = 2.34 TL

As you can see here for your £1 converted to euros then converted is less TL. To convert your £ directly to TL you get more for your money, you can find commission free places at home and also in Turkey. If you already have euros you can spend them too but since the £ to Euro is rubbish i'd say you'd loose out.

Does that all make sense ???

oslo
Level Contributor
43 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Turkish lira or Euros?

definetely carry your own currency as cash here and change into local currency here for better rate as i told several times here and better change at the ptt which is post office in turkey have a nice holiday