We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency

Hatfield
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Currency

Hi

Can someone please tell me which currency is preferred by shopkeepers, dolmus's, etc in Side?

Many thanks

Nifty

Herts
Level Contributor
488 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency

Shop keepers etc just prefer you to spend . They will take anything and every thing .

Use what you feel comfortable with. ( with me its the Euro) But then again I don't use the dolmus ( won't wait about in the heat) its taxis for me.Go Ai so I don't use the supermarkets.

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,394 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency

I copied and pasted this from a reply I gave recently.

Please pick out the bits that do/don't apply.

Turks will accept pretty much any currency, providing it is notes not coins, and in reasonable condition. They won't accept torn or defaced notes, or Scottish notes.

You will find that in Side, due to the large number of Euro-Zone visitors, many retailers will advertise prices in Euros. This is to assist the tourist, not because they have a preference for that particular currency.

Do not take Euros - unless you already have some left over from a previous trip. I assume that you are British, if so take GBP with you and change in resort - you will get a better rate than at home.

If you were to convert your GBP to Euros or USD, then you would be losing out on commission charges.

It is advisable to take a few Lira with you (say £50), just to buy water/snacks on the way from the airport, and to tip driver and porters, before you get the chance to call and change your money. Tesco and the Post Office are both doing reasonable rates at the moment.

We usually change our money in multiples of £100, as it makes it easier to work out what you should be getting in return. Also rates change daily, and may improve as your holiday progresses.

Shop around for rates in resort, as pretty much everybody will exchange your GBP for you. The obvious ones are the Bank (passport req'd) PTT/Post Office (good rates but commission charged) Change Offices (mostly commission free, but check rates). However, you will also find that Jewellers, Trip Operators, and even the local supermarket will often give just as good a rate.

You will also be able to negotiate deals with Sterling on some of your major purchases, such as jewellery, clothing and trips.

Current official bank rate is in the left-hand column in this link.

http://www.doviz.com/

Mentioned in this post
Side
Side
Manavgat, Turkey
Herts
Level Contributor
488 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency

And I would post ... convert to much to Lira and you have some over at the end of the hols you will be faced with ( a second)commission charge to change back to sterling.

Euros can be kept for another holiday.

Woking, United...
Destination Expert
for Side
Level Contributor
6,837 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency

If you pay the dolmus drivers in Euros they will give you change in Turkish Lira, so probably best to give TL in the first place if you can.

Prices in Side shops are shown in Euros but they all accept TL and currently give you 2 TL to 1 Euro which is NOT the bank rate!

Mentioned in this post
Side
Side
Manavgat, Turkey
Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,394 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency

That's why I only recommend changing £100 at a time!

You can then use any leftovers to tip your driver, or buy a few odds 'n ends at the Airport.

S. Wales
Level Contributor
1 post
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency

We always take stirling and change at the Popst office. This gets the best rate of exchange even though you pay a bit of commision.The TRurkish Lira is quite steady now and the Euro is dropping like a stone so althou they will take the Euro they like the Lira best. Take about £50 in lira from home and as said by previous posts change when you get there.

Born to ride

7. Re: Currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 February 2011, 07:11
Get answers to your questions about Side
Recent Conversations