We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Impressions of Side

Kernow-T
Level Contributor
478 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
My Impressions of Side

Having just returned from a week in Side, I thought I'd try and give a nut-shell impression of the area (without the specifics of my hotel, excursions etc)

One quick note - you do not get haggled (at all). This is WEIRD but welcome, partcularly with female visitors (just my impressions and what people told me)

The area is one of great beauty and unquestionably one of gerat historic architectural significance, so if that's your sort of thing you'll be spoilt.

You are close to many excursion activities (rafting/horse-riding/water-park etc) so you will be unlucky to spend more than an hour reaching an excursion point

Outside Antik Side (Old Town - Tourist hub) the area sprawls rather uncontrollably, with small bar/restaurant communities springing up wherever an apartment/hotel block has been built - this makes it difficult to get a real grasp on where you are, and what areas you want to be spending your time in. If, like us, for example, you are in Kemer, you may feel slightly out of the action.

The beach area is lovely, with a long promenade between the old-town and the beach. The water is very warm indeed and the beach is littered with hotels/bars/sunbeds so you'll be loked after - also each area has a shower WC etc. Be sure to have clarity on whether you have to pay for your sunbed. Even buying a couple of beers from beach waiters will not guarantee someone doesn't come up to you asking for money - the looks on their faces when you simply say "NO" is priceless. I recommend Golden Star for hassle-free/buy the occasional drink beach comfort.

The area, in general, is more expensive than other places in Turkey, particularly Gumbet/Bodrum. Although generally cheaper than the UK, I would say it is 40% dearer that other Turkish resorts 0 this leads me on to my next point - clientelle

There are not a great deal of UK visitors (relatively) to Side; main tourist groups include Germans, Scandanavians, Baltic Nations. Whilst this is a welcome relief in many respects, it must be noted that in the same way bars/pubs in Gumbet etc are all about enticing UK tourists, the same applies here to other nations. Also, although you are unlikely to see a group of Football-shirt-clad English 20-somethings chanting at local passers-by and drinking eachother's urine, you will be queue-barged, find every sunbed reserved for a week by a pair of speedos, and have people literally smoking in your face and flicking ash at you as you eat your meal.

All in all, Side is quite a sleepy town; yes you can eat and drink at 4am, but you'll be the only ones doing it - there is little to do but drink in the evening, however one plus-side is the relaxes attitude to evening/late-night swimming. No one is going to ask you to get out the sea at 3am if you fancy a dip (in fact you may get a few cheers, especially if in your birthday suit). One thing that is clear however is that during all hours there are a lot of romantic episodes going on in the sea, so think twice about wearing a mask and keep your mouth closed.

dartmouth
Level Contributor
46 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Impressions of Side

A great review and very helpful, we are flying out on the 1st sept and really looking forward to it

Kernow-T
Level Contributor
478 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Impressions of Side

So you should be; like anywhere, it's not without its faults, but all in all it's fantastic; cheap, friendly, picturesque and baking hot! Oh, another tip. Do all your shopping in one of the mini chain-supermarkets (like a Tesco express/Spar-shop) because the items are bar-code scanned everyone pays the same and you get a printed receipt, although a few quid may not make a huge difference it adds up at the end of your hols. Most of the little corner shops charged 10 lira minimum regardless of what you had. In the chain market I got 2 big waters, a lighter, ciggies and a can of cola for 8 lira!

scotland
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Impressions of Side

can you remember the name of the supermarket chain we go to colakli in 3 weeks so Oh might want a few beer for the fridge lol

Kernow-T
Level Contributor
478 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Impressions of Side

Sure, one was called Sok and had red and yellow livery and another was 3,2,1 something (turquoise colour) or Migros (Yellow). Anything that resembles a Spar, Co-op or Tesco extra at home (ie sliding doors, check outs etc) A large water for example is 0.15 lira whilst in a hotel it will probably be 3 (20 times dearer!!)

scotland
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: My Impressions of Side

Thank you so much

Woking, United...
Destination Expert
for Side
Level Contributor
6,451 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: My Impressions of Side

Yes - best shops for excellent prices are

- Sok Shop in the Kemer District of Side near Red Lion pub

- A101 shop - there are 2 of these - one is next door to the big Yapi Kredi bank near the big flag at the entrance of the ruins road into Old Town Side; the other is in the Kumkoy District of Side near Sunlight Gardens and Side Riviera Properties

- Migros, Carrefour and Tansas are all big supermarkets but are not in Side - they are in Manavgat town which is 15 mins from Side by dolmus

LoopyLoo - if you are in Colakli you may not find any of these there and will have to rely on the corner mini market shops instead -

Wirral
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: My Impressions of Side

Hi Angela, Is there one close to the Green Apartments as we'll need a few bits when we get there and do they shut ifor a couple of hours in the day.

Ta, Dave.

Woking, United...
Destination Expert
for Side
Level Contributor
6,451 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: My Impressions of Side

Yes Dave - we are very lucky at Green Aparts - close to everything - the A101 shop next to Side Riviera Properties is only a 5 or 10 mins walk from us - there is also a small shop on site and a mini market on the main street corner too.

There is a fabulous greengrocers the other side of the road from A101 too with the most fruit and veg I have ever seen outside of Manavgat market - and at very reasonable prices as well.

No, the shops do not close for a siesta or anything during the day and in fact I believe A101 is open until around 9pm each day, starting around 9am.

Edited: 16 August 2011, 15:56
scotland
Level Contributor
163 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: My Impressions of Side

Thanks Angela we are 24 AI but am sure I will need something lol btw I got booked with Graham, Thank you again. Lorraine

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: My Impressions of Side

were would you recommend if we wanted a few late nites out?we staying in oz side

Get answers to your questions about Side