We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marmaris or Side ?? ........ 1st. timers to Turkey

Which Side hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
northeast
Level Contributor
296 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Marmaris or Side ?? ........ 1st. timers to Turkey

We are a family of 4 traveling in summers hols Aug ! (Hot I know ) not sure where to go. We don't mind a walk. . . . . We like somethings goin on altho. not loud thumpin music with 2 children under12. . . . Would Side be more appropriate ?

Luna Marr in Marmaris or Kentia Apartments in south Side

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marmaris or Side ?? ........ 1st. timers to Turkey

Hi there,

I have been all over Antalya, Side is a lovely place! Very different from Marmaris, not as.. how can i put it! Blackpoolish. But for kids there is a lot more to do, in my opinion!

Have you looked at Icmeler?

That is a quiet resort with plenty to do with bars and restaurants and a water park and a nice beach! And only a 5 minute taxi into Marmaris.

We stayed in Side last May in the Kentia and i hated it - the place was rammed and there were no beds to use around the pool from 7am! We used to walk down to a bar called the Fox and use there pool each day which was empty and we loved it! We would never stay there but for sunbathing it was great and we only had to buy a couple of drinks to se the pool all day.

There are a few things near by the apartments but nothing really for kids - more restaurants and bars thats about it!

We did come across Kumkoy in side, were all of the bars and restaurants and small bazarrs are!

Have you looked at hiring an apartment in Side? we have just hired an apartment in Lara beach for May and i am looking forward to that!

Hope some of the info helps - try looking at Icmeler if you want quiet with things to do and a short distance from the busy place of Marmaris.

Edited: 01 March 2012, 09:08
northeast
Level Contributor
296 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marmaris or Side ?? ........ 1st. timers to Turkey

Thank you for your reply = ) . . . . . . . . . we really like the idea if Side it looks beautiful, now looking at Sunlight gardens apartments, 2 bedroomed which would be fantastic plus Melissa gardens 2 bedded again so decisions, decisions

To be honest have been warned off Marmaris for exactly the reason you said that would be hell on earth , once went to Cyprus where it was "quite busy" it was terrible , for us . . . . . . . . Fantastic for the twentysomethings = ]

Those were the days. Well enjoy your jollies & will keep looking.

Woking, United...
Destination Expert
for Side
Level Contributor
6,067 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marmaris or Side ?? ........ 1st. timers to Turkey

Side is perfect for first timers to Turkey - it has the 2nd longest sandy beach in all of Turkey - ideal for children as it is gently shelving - lots of Roman ruins including an active amphitheatre and Apollo Temple where Anthony and Cleopatra had their tryst.

There is a beautiful walkway all along the coastline with little bars and restaurants dotted along the way. Market day is Saturday or in nearby Manavgat is Monday and Thursday. Lots of local trips to do =- look to top right here Top Questions About Side and below there are many suggestions.

northeast
Level Contributor
296 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marmaris or Side ?? ........ 1st. timers to Turkey

Thank you very much for your reply = ) . . . . . . we had made a decision I think ? lol Sunlight Gardens in Side.= D .

Side really does look amazing, ignorantly did not realise the history of Turkey = /

Looking forward to visiting the agent = D

Thanks for the reasurrance = )

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,599 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marmaris or Side ?? ........ 1st. timers to Turkey

As a first timer I went to Side and had a great time at the beach, visiting all the ruins.

Then once you venture out of Side you can have heaps of fun in the nearby towns of Manavgat and Alayna as well.

liverpool, england
Level Contributor
1,258 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Marmaris or Side ?? ........ 1st. timers to Turkey

I am glad i was able to help! You will love the relaxed atmosphere! We booked a private apartment this year was worked out a lot cheaper as the flights were very cheap.

Hope you have a great time and find your perfect place.

ayrshire
Level Contributor
159 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marmaris or Side ?? ........ 1st. timers to Turkey

hi this will be my third visit to side in may, after many years in marmaris wish had came here years ago. it is like chalk and cheese could not be more different i just know there will be no more marmaris for me side is just that relaxing none of the hustle and bustle of marmaris and not a lot of hassel enjoy your hols you wont regret it john

lancashire
Level Contributor
110 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Marmaris or Side ?? ........ 1st. timers to Turkey

Hi,

I have just returned from a holiday in side. ( Feb 19th )

This was my 5th visit to turkey in the last 18 months!

The first two visits were to Marmaris - the last 3 visits to side and cappadocia.

SIDE wins hands down!

As you have two younger children, i think Side will be more suitable.

I always book independantly of the travel agents, booking my own flights and private apartments, I find that they are more spacious and luxurious than the usual travel company apartments. Also more freedom and time not having to

be hearded about like cattle to and from the airports along with all the waiting time that goes with it in the heat of the day.

lincs
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Marmaris or Side ?? ........ 1st. timers to Turkey

what currency did u take. i am staying near side? turkey

ayrshire
Level Contributor
159 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marmaris or Side ?? ........ 1st. timers to Turkey

when i went last may i took euro, lira and english but only used euro to pay any expenses at hotel and at airport for duty free better taking english pounds and small amount of turkish lira for first day you will get better rate in turkey try the post office down at the harbour in side john